White Sox farm system rated among baseball's best

Whitewashed in '05

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet but has anyone seen this article on whitesox.com?

CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox have placed 14 players in Baseball America's annual Minor League Top 10 Prospects list. The 14 Sox honorees are tied for the fifth-most in baseball.

"We are very happy to see that these players are being recognized," said Dave Wilder, White Sox Director of Player Development. "This is a tribute to our scouting and player development staffs."

Brian Anderson, 22, was listed among the top prospects in both the Southern League (No. 11) and Carolina League (No. 3). Anderson, Chicago's first-round draft choice in 2003, combined to hit .298 (131-439) with 31 doubles, seven triples, 12 home runs and 73 RBI in 117 games between Class A Winston-Salem and Class AA Birmingham in his first full season of professional baseball.

Brandon McCarthy, 21, was tabbed by Baseball America as a starting pitcher on their Minor League All-Star Team. The 6-foot-7 right-hander ranked as the 6th-best prospect in the CL and the 8th-best prospect in the South Atlantic League. McCarthy, who led all of the minor leagues with 202 strikeouts, was a combined 17-6 with a 3.14 ERA (60 ER/172.0 IP) between stops at Class A Kannapolis, Winston-Salem and Birmingham.

Dwayne Pollok, 23, was one of four Sox players to be named to Baseball America's postseason All-Star teams. Pollok, who tied for the minor league lead with 38 saves, was selected to the High Class A All-Star squad. Felix Diaz (Class AAA), Francisco Hernandez (Rookie) and Ray Liotta (Rookie) also garnered postseason honors.

Following is a complete list of White Sox farmhands ranked in Baseball America's Minor League Top 10 Prospects list:

Name            Position        League                Rank

Jeremy Reed* OF International (AAA) 5th

Brian Anderson OF Southern (AA) 11th

Michael Morse* SS Southern 16th

Arnie Munoz LHP Southern 18th

Brian Anderson OF Carolina (A) 3rd

Brandon McCarthy RHP Carolina 6th

Ryan Sweeney OF Carolina 7th

Josh Fields 3B Carolina 12th

Sean Tracey RHP Carolina 17th

Brandon McCarthy RHP South Atlantic (A) 8th

Chris Young OF South Atlantic 15th

Francisco Hernandez C Appalachian ® 2nd

Gio Gonzalez LHP Appalachian 5th

Ray Liotta LHP Pioneer ® 5th

*no longer with the organization

Baseball America's Minor League Top 10 Prospects list is a breakdown of the top 20 players at every minor league level. Rankings are based on analysis from Baseball America editors and writers, professional scouts and minor league managers.

print this page

Well, the 14 is a bit skewed. 2 of them are duplicates for making the lists of 2 leagues (Anderson, BMac) and 2 of them were traded (Reed and Morse). Leaving us with 10, which is probably more towards the middle of the pack. The bulk of the Sox minor leagues was in A ball this season. W-S and Kanny both had talented rosters. Other than Anderson and BMac I don't really see anything worth getting excited over that was in AA or higher this season. After these guys in A ball reach AA, I'm sure a few will drop off the prospect radar (AA is the biggest jump, it happens all the time). While we will still have more guys than we do now to get excited over, it's nothing jaw dropping. Most of these guys are 2nd and 3rd tier prospects. By top tier prospect I mean guys that most expect to be stars in the bigs. There are very few of those. Even BMac is unproven because AA is the most important level for a prospect in terms of proving himself and his one season could be considered a fluke. Sure, in my eyes, with the numbers BMac put up I think he is a top tier guy. However, from the national perspective he has to prove this season in A ball wasn't a flash in the pan. Other guys could become top tier, but they are unproven (Sweeney, Fields). Anderson is borderline, his injury hampered him in AA so I don't know.

Anyway, if you really cared about me going on and on or not, I think the Sox have a middle of the road farm system that has potential to be better in the next couple years.

Just out of curiosity where would you rank it?

They're right in the middle of the Road... Let me preface that by saying I don't follow alot of other teams very closely. I know the sox system pretty well, and I have a feel for most of the top prospects in baseball, but I just don't see the sox ranking highly enough in terms of top prospects to be considered "among baseballs best"...

All of the sox minor league talent plays below AA. Even next season, a year later, Anderson(AAA) and McCarthy(AA/AAA), probably still won't be ready to contribute on the Major League level...

That being said, there is sufficient stregth at the lower levels to support trades to aquire ML talent, or going the complete opposite direction, slowly, methodically, build a quality team from within. (that would just take considerable time, patience, subsquent good drafts, and luck)

THe Sox have a lot of talent in the lower levels, but immediate help is not on the way. THe only two guys near the majors that have the ability to make an immediate impact are Anderson and McCarthy and they still have some steps to make before they are ready.

However, I like a lot of what the Sox have in the lower levels an I think you should see this sytem once again develop into one of the better farm systems in baseball. But its nothing but bs to imply that they are one of the best just because they had some guys make the BA lists, plus they are counting duplicates and guys that were traded.

number of prospects is nice.

quality of prospects is better.

And if Sweeney, Anderson, McCarthy and a couple of others have a chance to become studs, I'll be pleased.

I try not to get too carried away with Baseball America stuff.

We were ranked number one in 2000 or 2001.

And it hasn't translated into too many pennant flags that I've seen.