A Closer/ Set up man via trade

beck72

Danys Baez from TB. I know he came into his own last year as a closer, converting 30 of 33 saves. Yet TB had one of the best bullpens in the AL, and has a lot of young arms like Bobby Seay, Jesus Colome, etc. His $3.5 mill, salary doesn't seem to fit, esp. if they have other possible options at closer.

Now 27, he's dropped his ERA three yrs in a row, from 4.41, to 3.81, to 3.57 this past yr. He's versatile; can go more than one inning [started over 20 games in 2002]; he only allowed 5 IR to score and stranded 21.

I can see him in the 8th inning, along with Marte. [Politte seems destined for the 6th and 7th innings.] And he'd be great insurance in case Shingo gets "solved".

Getting an established closer like Percival or Benitez might be tough. And it would be a big slap at Shingo. Shingo deserves to be the closer, as he was solid and did everything the team asked him.

Could TB be enticed to trade Baez? Probably. But it would mean a few cheap guys like Ross Gload and Felix Diaz/ Arnie Munoz or someone close to the majors. I like the Sox chances of getting a possible closer and set up man via trade rather than free agency. There aren't a lot of proven closers out there, who would also accept a set up role. Or set up guys who have the potential to develop into a closer. I'd rather go with someone who had some experience closing games than go w/ potential [unless it's a guy like Lidge, Dotel or Mota who have electirc arms] Yet there are few of these guys around. Baez always had the arm, hitting between 93-97 regularly.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now, I'd give Percival about 4 million a year for 2 years. Basically the same offer given to Vizquel because I Think he would accept it and I think it would be a great move for the White Sox.

The Angels haven't contacted Percival and he claims he's going to be elsewhere. He also has said he wants to pitch another 3 or 4 years.

i think that we should go after danny kolb. i have heard that the brewers have him on the block because they are afraid that they wont be able to offer him arbitration.

I have heard the exact opposite. Everything I have read out of Brewers camp is that they have no intention of letting Kolb go anywhere. :huh:

He would provide a great contrast to Takatsu and Marte's stuff as well.

KW seems to love having a bullpen that can give a team different looks. Baez would provide that. The key is would TB deal him [probably, he makes too much] and for what. Gload could be a fit, plus they need some starting pitching.

Right now, I'd give Percival about 4 million a year for 2 years.  Basically the same offer given to Vizquel because I Think he would accept it and I think it would be a great move for the White Sox. 

The Angels haven't contacted Percival and he claims he's going to be elsewhere.  He also has said he wants to pitch another 3 or 4 years.

Sorry Man but Percival = Koch

Right now, I'd give Percival about 4 million a year for 2 years.  Basically the same offer given to Vizquel because I Think he would accept it and I think it would be a great move for the White Sox. 

The Angels haven't contacted Percival and he claims he's going to be elsewhere.  He also has said he wants to pitch another 3 or 4 years.

I'd be for getting Percival or Benitez. Yet I'm not sure how Shingo would react to losing a job he earned and did well in. He seems like a team player and would do whatever the sox wanted. Yet Percival certainly wouldn't want to set up.

Shingo did great in set up, and in the closer's role.

i think that we should go after danny kolb. i have heard that the brewers have him on the block because they are afraid that they wont be able to offer him arbitration.

This couldn't be farther from the truth. GM Doug Melvin has every intention on signing Kolb long-term. This is an organization on the rise...you will not see a 2003 Pittsburgh Pirates "Garage Sale," while Melvin is in town.

With his save yesterday, Danys Baez became only the second Devil Rays' reliever to post a 30-save season.

Roberto Hernandez did it twice in 1999 and 2000. Baez, who is under contract for next season, has been everything Tampa hoped he would be this year. From rotoworld.

I doubt they will be moving him any time soon.

With his save yesterday, Danys Baez became only the second Devil Rays' reliever to post a 30-save season.

Roberto Hernandez did it twice in 1999 and 2000. Baez, who is under contract for next season, has been everything Tampa hoped he would be this year.

I doubt they will be moving him any time soon.

Save.. yesterday?

:huh