Matt Clement Update

maggsmaggs

After a meeting with the Angels in which Anaheim raised its offer, agent Barry Axelrod said Matt Clement would make a decision on his future on Thursday or Friday.

If they really want him, it's likely the Angels and Red Sox will have the top offers on the board when all is said and done. The Dodgers, Indians, White Sox, Blue Jays and Diamondbacks are also in the running. Clement is scheduled to meet with the Dodgers tomorrow. Dec. 15 - 10:24 pm et

I asssume this means the Angels raised from there original offer of 3-years $21 million to somewhere around 3-years $24 million. I think I read the Angels original offer was around 21 for 3, someone correct me if I was wrong.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Angels have offered $9M for 3 years.

I think Clement could be a member of the White Sox for the same exact offer, or if JR was willing to do a four year deal, $8M for 4 years.

His wife wants to stay in Chicago, he has said he was "flattered" that the Sox were showing so much interest in him, and I really, honestly think we have just as good a shot at him as anybody.

I would love a press confrence announcement Thursday afternoon. I would go silly.

As I have said so many times before, this is day four of my advocating for the overpaying of Matt Clement stance. I'm spear-heading this one. :D

An undisclosed team jumped into the bidding for free agent Matt Clement yesterday. "A new team I hadn't thought of jumped in," agent Barry Axelrod said. "Not one that traditionally has had wherewithal, but might in this case." Milwaukee? The Angels, Dodgers, Blue Jays, Indians, Diamondbacks and maybe the Cardinals have offered Clement deals. Axelrod said it was "his fondest hope" Clement would sign by Wednesday. It looks like it's going to take at least $27 million over three years and $40 million over four years can't be ruled out.

This is all i have seen about 3 years 27 million.

This is all i have seen about 3 years 27 million.

That "mystery team," is the white sox according to Scott Gregor. It'll be interesting to see where he goes, I hope to god it's the sox but I have a feeling it'll be anaheim, I'm getting nervous about the whole scenario.

Axelrod said the Angels upped their original offer, which was reported to be for three years and $21 million, an "opening salvo," as Axelrod called it, to set a market.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb...s_mlb&fext=.jsp

I knew I saw it somewhere, any way this moves really puts in the Cubs face which rarely happens these days, we need this for the off-season to be complete.

from verducci's winners/losers column, Clement was lsted as a winner.

Matt Clement

Said one agent, "One club told me they had him [earmarked] for three years, $18 million at the start of the winter." By waiting on a market that blew up for second-tier pitchers, Clement will double those dollars.

The market has just gone crazy.

3yr 27 mill would get Clement, imo. I think you could potentially get him with a 3 yr 24-25 mill deal soley cause he stays in Chicago.

And of course 4yr 8 per season would do it, imo. Sounds like something is giong to happen quickly with him.

I think we'll know tomorrow where he's going or at least leaning.

That "mystery team," is the white sox according to Scott Gregor.  It'll be interesting to see where he goes, I hope to god it's the sox but I have a feeling it'll be anaheim, I'm getting nervous about the whole scenario.

:o

:D :D :D

I had no idea that was our offer. Wow. That is great news. At the beginning of the off-season I anticipated Clement signing with the Halos, but if we give the same offer, I'd have to think we would be up there on his list.

Aw Kenny, c'mon on this one. I very rarely get excited over a free agent, but for some reason I want this guy on the Southside in a major way.

I'm thinking the Sox will have the tiebreaker (tie as in same/similar offers from 2 teams) because Clement has said he likes Chicago and wants to stay in the city. I figure 3/27 might need that tiebreaker. JR won't sign pitchers for more than 3 years anyway right? I wouldn't mind seeing 3/30 because I think that's what they will need to pay to get him, purely on a hunch.

I'm thinking the Sox will have the tiebreaker (tie as in same/similar offers from 2 teams) because Clement has said he likes Chicago and wants to stay in the city. I figure 3/27 might need that tiebreaker. JR won't sign pitchers for more than 3 years anyway right? I wouldn't mind seeing 3/30 because I think that's what they will need to pay to get him, purely on a hunch.

I really wanna see Clement in that Sox uni.

It's funny how about a month ago, most people around here wanted to stay away from Clement just because of the fact of his arm problems and he wasn't in the Cubs rotation when the season finished. But now with the current market for starters, and only him and Perez left as the main starters, a lot of people have changed their tune.

It's funny how about a month ago, most people around here wanted to stay away from Clement just because of the fact of his arm problems and he wasn't in the Cubs rotation when the season finished. But now with the current market for starters, and only him and Perez left as the main starters, a lot of people have changed their tune.

Desperate times call for desperate measures I guess eh? :lol: