New Whitesox Rumor

Winnin Ugly

No, Ouch is the contract that Ray got after being traded.  We got something for him, when he was going to be gone anyway.

That is not true. We would have gotten a sandwich pick or 2 if we had him until the end of the season(Btwn 1st and 2nd round and btwn 2nd and 3rd round). For the 2 million more we had to pay durham for that season, those draft picks would have been much more valuable than adkins.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
Has their been any reports in Chicago about  Ray coming back to Chicago... Here in San Fran they think the deal will go through. One of the host on KNBR thinks that the Giants wants Damaso Marte in return

Jesus, I sure as hell hope not.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
As far as who we could trade back, I would say it's safe to assume the Giants won't pay us anything. They're in no position to be sending cash in deals. So the Sox would have to deal some cash back to fit Ray in our payroll situation.

Ray makes 6.5 million in 2005, Figure we have 2-3 million left to spend ourselves and we have to deal 3-3.5 million off the roster.

Prospects are out since the Giants don't want them.

They're outfield is set, so I can't see Carl going.

Sox are no position to deal Garland unless they have a Vazquez deal on the table, or something way the hell out of left field.

I'm stumped here....

Willie and a prospect would be my guess. I hope not Marte but I think the Giants would ask for him. However, I think it was rather documented that Ozzie was never all that pleased with Marte. But if the Sox deal Marte they better get another reliever. I don't want to see them weaken the bullpen.

I do really want Ray Ray here though. Here is a question though, would it be less of a loss if they then picked up someone like Rob Nenn.

Id love Durham and it would seem that the giants wouldnt be that against dealing him but reports of MArte being involved fears me.

The Giants have Deivi Cruz,Omar Vizquel,Edgardo Alfonzo, and Ray durham for 2b,ss,3b. Being that they acquired cruz this off season, it wouldnt surprise me if they wanted to trade durham all along. His contract is high and they are a team that would want some young talent. Willie Harris and either Adkins,Diaz, or JBaj I would venture to think would be enough for them to pay the rest of Ray's contract as well.

I miss big Ray........

I think it was rather documented that Ozzie was never all that pleased with Marte. 

I dont blame ozzie for that, Marte has proven quite a few times now that he cant handle the pressure situations, especially on the road.

That said, Marte is electric and in the 7th/8th inning or one hitter in the 9th, he can be dominant and I think Ozzie realizes this as well.

Dugout dollars has Ray-Ray at $6.78 million for 2005 and again in 2006.

When I read this I knew someone good will be gone from your team or someone who eat half of that contract. Prospects wont work because were adding more to payroll which you hear bruce levine that iguchi wanted 3 yrs 15 mil and if were not gonna give iguchi that kind of money why do you think we will durham? I like ray durham he can still hit and field good. But someone on sox roster with around 3 mil contract will get it done. Just my opinion but looking at kenny words about iguchi and reading it from everywhere it just seems that prospects wont get job done. By the way I remember hearing Willie Harris name first time I remember Hawk Harrelson saying hes mini ray.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 06:28 PM)
He is 31.

And has a back back, and makes a lot of coin. The Giants would love to rid themselves of Alphonso. One interesting thing about Ray. ESPN.com has the STATS scouting reports on players, and has it updated for the 2005 season. It noted that the Giants were not happy with his work ethic, which is completely the opposite of his reputation here. The report implied that his lack of training is what was causing his numerous leg injuries the last couple of seasons.He also was godawful defensively last year. I do know Ray is a huge competitor. When my dad and I went to Minnesota the last road series of the year in 1999, Ray had a terrible game the first game of the series. We walked back to the hotel, and Ray got on the elevator with us. He was still steamed at himself. This game was about as meaningless as they come and he was pissed. I thought it was cool. He came big with 3 huge games to close out the series. Who can forget his catch during the 2000 playoffs? I wouldn't mind having him back. I wish he never left.

QUOTE(chisox05 @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)
Id love Durham and it would seem that the giants wouldnt be that against dealing him but reports of MArte being involved fears me.

The Giants have Deivi Cruz,Omar Vizquel,Edgardo Alfonzo, and Ray durham for 2b,ss,3b.  Being that they acquired cruz this off season, it wouldnt surprise me if they wanted to trade durham all along.  His contract is high and they are a team that would want some young talent.  Willie Harris and either Adkins,Diaz, or JBaj I would venture to think would be enough for them to pay the rest of Ray's contract as well. 

I miss big Ray........

Cruz was on the giants last year also.

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 06:44 PM)
Dugout dollars has Ray-Ray at $6.78 million for 2005 and again in 2006.

When I read this I knew someone good will be gone from your team or someone who eat half of that contract. Prospects wont work because were adding more to payroll which you hear bruce levine that iguchi wanted 3 yrs 15 mil and if were not gonna give iguchi that kind of money why do you think we will durham? I like ray durham he can still hit and field good. But someone on sox roster with around 3 mil contract will get it done. Just my opinion but looking at kenny words  about iguchi and reading it from everywhere it just seems that prospects wont get job done. By the way I remember hearing Willie Harris name first time I remember Hawk Harrelson saying hes mini ray.

Dugout dollars has been wrong numerous times. This site i have been going to for quite some time has never been wrong with a contract and breaks each contract down very well.

http://www.mlb4u.com/sf.html

Also, when was durham ever a good fielder? :unsure:

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 06:54 PM)
Dugout dollars has been wrong numerous times.  This site i have been going to for quite some time has never been wrong with a contract and breaks each contract down very well.

http://www.mlb4u.com/sf.html

Also, when was durham ever a good fielder? :unsure:

So Q, are Ray's dollars different? Please share it with us.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 06:57 PM)
So Q, are Ray's dollars different?  Please share it with us.

What do you mean? I am saying dugout dollars has been off before and the site i gave is extremely accurate.

As is this site, but it is no longer updated. It is great for older contracts though.

http://www.bluemanc.demon.co.uk/baseball/mlbcontracts.htm

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 07:01 PM)
What do you mean? I am saying dugout dollars has been off before and the site i gave is extremely accurate.

As is this site, but it is no longer updated. It is great for older contracts though.

http://www.bluemanc.demon.co.uk/baseball/mlbcontracts.htm

Sorry if it came our wrong, I just meant if Ray-Ray's dollars were different it would change my view of the possible trade. Bluemanc says 6.5 and player option 7.0, which doesn't alter my take that he's too rich for the Sox.

QUOTE(chisox05 @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)

The Giants have Deivi Cruz,Omar Vizquel,Edgardo Alfonzo, and Ray durham for 2b,ss,3b.  Being that they acquired cruz this off season, it wouldnt surprise me if they wanted to trade durham all along.  His contract is high and they are a team that would want some young talent.  Willie Harris and either Adkins,Diaz, or JBaj I would venture to think would be enough for them to pay the rest of Ray's contract as well. 

I miss big Ray........

They also have Pedro Feliz who is a natural thirdbaseman. If they traded Durham Alphonso would move to second I would imagine.

Did anyone see this from espn: Not exactly a stellar endorsement for what the sox need. And SF would likely be giving him away-----

"Scouting Report

2004 Season

Ray Durham once again endured an injury-plagued season, landing on the disabled list twice for the second straight year with an assortment of leg injuries. When he was in the lineup, Durham showed some of the skills the Giants believed he possessed when they signed him. He had to dig himself out of hole created when he was hurt most of May. He had only two home runs and eight RBI entering June, but he collected 31 RBI the next two months.

Hitting

There's no question about Durham's hitting when he's in the lineup. He hit the most homers since swatting 20 for the White Sox in 2001. Last year, he had a higher batting average from the right side, but more power from the left side. For a leadoff hitter, Durham strikes out too much. He struck out 60 times last year, three more than his walk total.

Baserunning & Defense

Once a threat to run, Durham's injuries have cut down his stolen-base totals. He is blessed with athletic genes, however, and the Giants once considered moving him to the outfield. That likely won't happen after Durham struggled so much to catch popups at his position last season. He had a horrible season in the field, with 16 errors. Furthermore, he was slow to turn what should have been easy double plays.

2005 Outlook

The Giants were candid about Durham's offseason regimen. They would like him to follow their training program to keep his tender legs in shape. Privately, they are not happy with his work ethic. The training staff was critical of him last season, as he spent most of May on the DL. Perhaps that motivated Durham, who was healthier in the second half. If Durham can't stay healthy, the Giants might try to trade him, though he still has two years and $13.5 million remaining on his contract."

Ray Ray is going to be a good addition but 13 mil for 2 years is way too much. We should not destroy our pen bcoz what we have now can potentially be as good as anybody else's bullpen. If we want a contract like that then why not give it to Iguchi and make it a 3 year contract instead.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 12:32 AM)
Willie and a prospect would be my guess.  I hope not Marte but I think the Giants would ask for him.  However, I think it was rather documented that Ozzie was never all that pleased with Marte.  But if the Sox deal Marte they better get another reliever.  I don't want to see them weaken the bullpen. 

I do really want Ray Ray here though.  Here is a question though, would it be less of a loss if they then picked up someone like Rob Nenn.

if true, i do think Willie will go in the trade plus another minor leaguer. Lets hope they want diaz back, but knowing the Giants they know what they got rid of!

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 07:33 PM)
Im telling going take more than just prospects and willie. If Kenny was willing take on some of that salary that durhams making than why wouldnt he give money iguchi?

Last time I checked Iguchi has no major league experience. Durham is a little bit more proven. I could see us taking on up to 4 Mil a year for Durham just because he has proven himself when healthy.

No way should Iguchi be given 4 mil a year until he has proven something.

I'm pretty sure Steff has said that Durham wouldn't like to return to the Sox because of what has happened in the past. No way should we acquire Durham for Marte though, Neal Cotts would be the best lefty in the pen if that happened.

Frankly why not just sign Iguchi or Cora instead, which would be much easier, although it ain't likely Iguchi will be here in 2005.