Iguchi News

Southside hitmen

I certainly am.  Why is everyone so excited about him?  No one here's ever seen him play.  His number weren't as good as Kaz Matsui's in Japan, so who's to say he's going to perform here.  The only time he's seen major league pitching was in that MLB All-Stars vs. Japan All-Stars series, and he bombed big-time.

Your points are valid.

The opposite side is, a lot of people on this site haven't seen a lot of MLB players play, they just look at the stats and pass judgement on them ... "he sucks :puke " and so on.

As has been pointed out all along, this is a scout's issue. I'm sure they've talked to Shingo as well.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Jan 19, 2005 -> 12:43 AM)
I certainly am.  Why is everyone so excited about him?  No one here's ever seen him play.  His number weren't as good as Kaz Matsui's in Japan, so who's to say he's going to perform here.  The only time he's seen major league pitching was in that MLB All-Stars vs. Japan All-Stars series, and he bombed big-time.

thank you, finally someone said something about this guy that has been bothering me.

i have been afriad of mentioning it, b/c i didn't want to come across tooo negative considering my other opinions on this offseason.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 19, 2005 -> 12:48 AM)
Your points are valid.

The opposite side is, a lot of people on this site haven't seen a lot of MLB players play, they just look at the stats and pass judgement on them ... "he sucks  :puke " and so on.

As has been pointed out all along, this is a scout's issue.  I'm sure they've talked to Shingo as well.

we had one success in something like this. lightning in a bottom comes to mind.

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 06:43 PM)

Shinjo and Taguchi weren't ever good in Japan so I wouldn't compare Iguchi to either. As far as not being as good as Matsui in Japan, Tadahito's last couple of years were better then anything Kaz did batting average and obp wise and we wouldn't need him to supply power. I like Iguchi because I think he'd be a nice fit behind spod in the order.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 08:18 PM)
Shinjo and Taguchi weren't ever good in Japan so I wouldn't compare Iguchi to either.  As far as not being as good as Matsui in Japan, Tadahito's last couple of years were better then anything Kaz did batting average and obp wise and we wouldn't need him to supply power.  I like Iguchi because I think he'd be a nice fit behind spod in the order.

he would be a nice fit, but i got the feeling he wouldn't bat second, and honestly i can't picture him in a sox uni :huh

I guess I agree with something someone mentioned a bit ago. In this case, I think we have to trust our scouts. They seem to have hit on Shingo. I think it would be a good investment and personally hope it gets done because I'm tired of seeing Willie bunt every first at bat and not be able to get a sacrifice down when it counts.

The biggest concern w Iguchi is not whether he can hit. Every scouting report you read says he can hit. He might even be stronger v LH than RH which fits well with the Sox. What concerns scouts is his speed & D. Were they inflated because he plays mostly on a carpet? They feel this was the problem with Kaz. He has done poorly in his speed & D playing on grass w the Mets. That's affected his hitting as well.

Iguchi has weird numbers when it comes to his speed:

2001 40+

2002 < 20 (shoulder injury)

2003 40+

2004 < 20 (more shoulder problems)

I definitely think health is an issue. But again his biggest intangible is post-season success in Japan. In that regards he's a proven winner.

He's helped his team win the Japan Series & he's had big hits throughout his post-season ab's. It's that kind of a resume that makes him real attractive for the Sox.

About all we can say wrt to the on-going negotiations is that the Sox have moved closer to his demands in offering a 3rd yr. I've read that from more than one source. That would suggest the 10M/3 offer is real.

He's not getting any younger so maybe the CWS could structure it so

the 2nd & 3rd yr are player options. That gives him a year to prove himself & become a FA if he wants.

If he can get the job done then he might be worth the 20M/3 to the Sox

because of his potential draw with the fan base.

Ok there seem to be a lot of people around here worried about Iguchi and how he would be a flop here on the Southside. Let me point out some things in favor of him being a success here

#1 - The team he plays for in Japan has a really good pitchers park. Ichiro and Kaz Matsui both played in hitters' parks, and I think Iguchi's last 2 seasons have been better than Kaz's.

#2 - Hitting at the Cell. This will definitely help increase his stats and batting average if he doesn't swing for the fences at every AB.

There are also other factors to consider such as he wouldn't be under as much pressure as Matsui was, and he should have a good comfort level and lifestyle here with Shingo around to help him settle in.

I've said all along that signing Iguchi would be a risk, but a calculated risk at that, the Sox will have definitely scouted him enough to determine whether or not he can be the guy we need at second base.

The other options are dropping fast for both the Sox and Iguchi. What kind of money can Iguchi get if he stays in Japan? Could the Sox be getting used as a bargaining chip against other teams in Japan? I really don't see many teams left here in MLB that could be an option for him.

Other than us and Boston, who else would attempt to get involved? St. Louis? Yankees? Who Else?

Why not eliminate some of the risk for the Sox, give him a base salary similar to what he would make in Japan and load the deal w/ incentives that, if met, would push him closer to where his side was looking. Seems to me that he needs to prove himself as a viable major leaguer anyways, so if he believes in his ability the incentives shouldn't be a problem.

QUOTE(OFSoxFanMike @ Jan 19, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
Why not eliminate some of the risk for the Sox, give him a base salary similar to what he would make in Japan and load the deal w/ incentives that, if met, would push him closer to where his side was looking.  Seems to me that he needs to prove himself as a viable major leaguer anyways, so if he believes in his ability the incentives shouldn't be a problem.

Actually, if my memory serves me correctly, Kenny's "offer" was exactly what he was making in Japan. So, Kenny is thinking along those lines as well.

Personally, I wouldn't mind overpaying, because if he pans out, you have the two-bagger of the future and that opens up the Japenese ballplayer market even further. If he doesn't pan out, you gambled and lost and I'll tip my hat to JR and Kenny for tossing the dice with a strict payroll.

QUOTE(mrzo2733 @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 09:24 PM)
I guess I agree with something someone mentioned a bit ago. In this case, I think we have to trust our scouts. They seem to have hit on Shingo. I think it would be a good investment and personally hope it gets done because I'm tired of seeing Willie bunt every first at bat and not be able to get a sacrifice down when it counts.

Not to beat a dead horse but who the hell do you think was the one telling Willie to bunt every first at bat?

It was Ozzie. Hell it was also one of the main reasons AROW struggled at the beginning of the year. Ozzie handcuffs them at the plate and makes them bunt and then somehow acts shocked when the other team is actually smart enough to expect it and play right on the grass. It wasn't until Ozzie actually got desperate and let Aaron swing that he actually got hot. I think if given a full year Willie would out perform any potential Iguchi signing, however since the White Sox brass are treating him like s*** then I have no faith that Ozzie would give him a setting in which he could succeed. Hopefully i'm wrong though.

Not to beat a dead horse but who the hell do you think was the one telling Willie to bunt every first at bat?

It was Ozzie. Hell it was also one of the main reasons AROW struggled at the beginning of the year. Ozzie handcuffs them at the plate and makes them bunt and then somehow acts shocked when the other team is actually smart enough to expect it and play right on the grass. It wasn't until Ozzie actually got desperate and let Aaron swing that he actually got hot. I think if given a full year Willie would out perform any potential Iguchi signing, however since the White Sox brass are treating him like s*** then I have no faith that Ozzie would give him a setting in which he could succeed. Hopefully i'm wrong though.

By my count, there are at least 5 assumptions in your post. You pose it as if it's fact, but unless we are personally down there in the clubhouse, none of us know.

Assumption 1: Guillen was telling Harris to bunt every 1st at bat.

Assumption 2: That was also the main reason why Rowand struggled.

Assumption 3: Guillen makes them bunt

Assumption 4: Guillen got desperate and let Rowand swing away

Assumption 5: Sox brass are treating Harris like s***.

Do you think that maybe, just maybe, some of Harris' non-performance is Harris' fault? And maybe, just maybe, Rowand put in tons of extra work to get his swing down and it finally kicked in?

And at last count, you have 6 Sox personnel levying what I consider to be fair criticism of Willie Harris: Guillen, Dave Wills, Bill Melton, Hawk Harrelson, Darrin Jackson, John Rooney. Constructive criticism, not treating like s*** ... there is a big difference. They rarely if ever criticize him, they criticize his behavior and performance. Those people are all closer to the team than we'll ever be.

All of those respected people giving the same type of criticism tells me there's some validity to it. That, and my own eyes.

Let's face it, Sox brass have a problem with Harris and it goes well beyond the stats. I will also say that just as soon as they can upgrade at 2B, they will.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 19, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
All of those respected people giving the same type of criticism tells me there's some validity to it.  That, and my own eyes.

Let's face it, Sox brass have a problem with Harris and it goes well beyond the stats.  I will also say that just as soon as they can upgrade at 2B, they will.

Well put. Rest assured, help is on the way.

Wille will get his at-bats this season, but I think he'd have to make some serious changes in both his gameplay and approach to the game if he has any hopes of staying in Black and Silver.

The sooner Willie is off the roster, the better. :ph34r:

Whoa .... where's all this Harris hate coming from? Have you looked at his numbers? Harris' problem is that he can't hit LH's. He put up pretty respectable #'s vs RH's. Considering that typically around 1/4 to 1/3 of MLB ab's vs LH for an full-time player the Sox can bench him at those times.

It's not something the Sox can't deal with.