Iguchi's agent submits new proposal

Cubs Suck23

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the post;

According to Daily Sports [Link] (Japanese language), Iguchi's agent, Richard Moss, has made a new proposal (on 19 Jan, U.S. time) to the White Sox for 2 years at 3 million per year. No other (MLB) teams have shown any serious interest, according to the article. So it looks like it will be the White Sox if they can come to a compromise.

Mr. Zero or somebody else can convert this article from Japanese if they want.

http://www.daily.co.jp/baseball/2005/01/21/158567.shtml

EDIT: I also changed the topic title to make it easier to understand. :)

Edited by DBAH0

QUOTE(OFSoxFanMike @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 08:22 AM)
I think that at 6M/2yrs the reward absolutely outweighs the risk.  KW should not haggle over a few hundred thousand dollars.  Get the deal done while the scrubbies are still having their little convention.

This is what Kenny has been waiting for. And that's the reason why he is willing to let other 2B free agents go to other teams such as Cora to the Indians and Cairo to the Mets. In Kenny's eyes, Iguchi is much better 2B player than Cairo and Cora. I don't think he's ever had his eyes on Cairo or Cora since the offseason began.

Kenny, please pull in Iguchi and call the offseason a success.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 01:25 AM)
If that's true, this deal will get done pretty quickly.

That's my thinking too. If KW's smart, he'll put in a team option for 2007 at about $4 million, which could be a bargain if Iguchi really hits well here.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 08:29 AM)
That's my thinking too. If KW's smart, he'll put in a team option for 2007 at about $4 million, which could be a bargain if Iguchi really hits well here.

More like a team option / player option situation to get that done.

Anyone else concerned that basically we are the only ones bidding? Could be another Takatsu, maybe not. I just cannot get excited about this either way.

If we sign him, I would say what a great offseason for KW and the sox. KW is doing a great job not overpaying like the Mets did with Kaz Matsui. I think 2yrs for 6mil is respectable. Go sign him KW, get the attention off the Cubs fest this weekend.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 01:42 AM)

Anyone else concerned that basically we are the only ones bidding? Could be another Takatsu, maybe not. I just cannot get excited about this either way.

I think the teams that have needed a starting infielder, and are willing to pay for one, basically filled that need earlier in the off-season like the Red Sox did with Renteria and the Angels with God AKA Orlando Cabrera.

I'd be willing to bet that Iguchi in his 1st season would definitely have better numbers than Kaz Matsui, and the Mets are paying him $21 million over 3 years. Doesn't look too bad when you consider it from that perspective.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
Welcome to Soxtalk :cheers

Thanks....its nice to find somewhere to talk Sox and forget another chicago team even exists.

I am so excited for this year...the possible addition of Iguchi would be a great way to cap this off-season. :headbang

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 02:17 AM)
$73ish IIRC.

That would definitely leave a few mill left for another move now, or one during the trade deadline for a guy like Joe Randa, if we need an upgrapde somewhere to help put us over the top.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 08:42 AM)

I know this isn't what you mean by that, but I'd be thrilled if Iguchi worked out as well as Takatsu has. Shingo performed very well on the field and became a fan favorite despite not speaking much, if any, English.

If this report is accurate, I think you go sign him. I realize he's somewhat of an unknown commodity, but if he ends up sucking, you only invested two years. In the grand scheme that's not too bad, and given his #'s in Japan it's definitely worth a shot. Go do it.

I think Kenny should split the difference between Iguchi's agent's proposal (2 years, $6 million) and his own (2 years, $4 million). Offer Iguchi a 2-year, $5 million contract with a team option for 2007...

2005 - $2.5 million

2006 - $2.5 million

2007 - $4.0 million team option

Iguchi could be great here in the states and deserve more money but I don't think he should be making more than Uribe right off the bat. Uribe proved he could hit in the majors last season. Iguchi has yet to show that.

I really love how Kenny is playing this offseason out after he (thankfully) bombed on Omar Vizquel. He is keeping his mouth shut and negotiating properly with guys instead of talking about it in the media. He is truly "flying under the radar" now! :D I also love how he's low-balling guys to sign for less.

I can't translate this right now because for some stinking reason by school blocked Google Translate.

Someone else can do it.

http://www.google.com/language_tools

Go down to Translate a web page and select Japanese to English BETA. Then copy the url ( http://www.daily.co.jp/baseball/2005/01/21/158567.shtml ) into the box. Then translate. Copy/Paste what you get here.