Timo a Fit for Ariz.?

beck72

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=35767

The Ari. paper says it's looking for a veteran defensive minded CFer to team with Luis Terrero, and they are talking with 6 teams. Could the sox be one of those? Sounds like they could match up. Timo had played in the NL his entire career, and has played a lot of CF. Luis bats RH, Timo LH. Timo's versatility makes him a solid 4th OFer. I know many dislike Timo. I don't. But if a deal could be made that netted a greater Sox need, lik UTL IFer Alex Cintron, I'd be for it. If Alex Escobar is healthy, I'd prob. do a deal. He can provide good OF defense for all 3 spots, and has more SB speed than Timo for late game situations. With Everett also around for at least the short term, and stronger from the LH side, and Borchard hanging around, Timo might be expendable.

I like Timo's defense and bunting ability. But if Escobar could provide those same things from the RH side of the plate, and it helped fill the Sox IF UTL role, I'd do it. Thoughts?

D-Backs haven't centered on anyone for outfield spot

By Dan Zeiger, Tribune

The Diamondbacks’ search for a center fielder via a trade has expanded, not narrowed, which means a deal is not necessarily imminent, team officials said on Wednesday.

“We’re trying to be creative and widen the search pattern a little bit,” general manager Joe Garagiola Jr. said. “I’ve had conversations with a lot of teams, some that we have been talking to a lot, others that are new.”

Arizona is having talks with about six clubs, general partner Ken Kendrick said, adding that one team on Wednesday made an unsolicited call to discuss trade possibilities.

The D-Backs want a veteran, defensive-oriented player to start in center, which would provide talented-but-raw Luis Terrero time to season.

“We’re talking right now, but we’re not anxious,” Kendrick said. “It could take two days, or it could take two weeks.”

On Tuesday, Garagiola was to leave for this week’s Caribbean Series in Mexico with other team officials but decided to remain in the Valley when a flurry of activity commenced.

“My gut feeling was that I should stay,” Garagiola said.

Arizona’s top four rumored suitors remain in play, though Arizona might have to start talks over with the Oakland Athletics, who have Eric Byrnes. The A’s have insisted on a minor leaguer that the D-Backs do not want to part with, and Garagiola said a “new avenue” is likely necessary.

Byrnes is likely headed for arbitration and could collect a 2005 salary of $2.5 million, which makes him an affordable option for Arizona.

Mike Cameron of the New York Mets, Preston Wilson of Colorado and Jay Payton of Boston are other candidates.

However, Wilson’s 2005 salary of $12.5 million might put him out of the D-Backs’ price range, even if the Rockies agreed to include cash in a trade.

Cameron, who is due $6 million in ’05 and ’06, is not fond of the idea of moving from center field to right with the Mets’ signing of Carlos Beltran.

However, Cameron has a limited no-trade clause, and New York — which has reportedly cooled at pursuing free agent Magglio Ordonez — might not want to trade him.

Garagiola said Arizona would like to complete a deal soon but will explore trade possibilities, if need be, until the start of the regular season.

“You get into a new phase of six weeks where all kinds of things happen to teams and players, good and bad,” Garagiola said. “Something that was not achievable in January and February might be achievable in March.”

I doubt the Dbacks would want Timo unless Byrnes, Cameron, Wilson AND Payton are unavailable. Plus, there is NO WAY they would give up Cintron for him. Maybe we can get Casey Daigle from them...more of a reason to bring Jennie Finch to the ballpark.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
I  doubt the Dbacks would want Timo unless Byrnes, Cameron, Wilson AND Payton are unavailable.  Plus, there is NO WAY they would give up Cintron for him.  Maybe we can get Casey Daigle from them...more of a reason to bring Jennie Finch to the ballpark.

IF Az is looking for a defensive minded CFer, and still give their young CFer some time to develop at the ML level, getting a LH bat like Timo is a decent fit. While Timo by himself might not get a deal done for Cintron, add in a bullpen arm from the sox and it sounds reasonable.

Cintron really doesn't fit in w/ Ariz, with Royce, counsell, Kata and Hairston around.

I'll never understand all the posts from people that want to trade our depth.

Are these the same people that will cry when we have an injury and we have to put players in that are not ready yet or just a huge dropoff from our starter ?

If Timo is as good as you say he is and he is on our team, why do you want to unload him ? We need as many good players as we can get. The best teams are on top after 162 games because they have depth.

Finally, finally, finally, the Sox HAVE some depth almost everywhere! Be happy!

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 05:16 PM)
I'll never understand all the posts from people that want to trade our depth.

Are these the same people that will cry when we have an injury and we have to put players in that are not ready yet or just a huge dropoff from our starter ?

If Timo is as good as you say he is and he is on our team, why do you want to unload him ? We need as many good players as we can get. The best teams are on top after 162 games because they have depth.

Finally, finally, finally, the Sox HAVE some depth almost everywhere! Be happy!

If you read all the way through, I said trading Timo would be based on Escobar being healthy. If he's healthy, he's a right handed Timo [play all 3 OF spots], with more speed and can play even better defense. Also, if trading Timo could help land Cintron, that would give the Sox the type of versatile, multi-dimensional UTL Ifer the Sox need. The Sox have OF depth [Everett, Escobar, Borchard even, Anderson toward the end of 2005]. They don't have IF depth. If that's not being "happy" so be it. It's a fact

If you are sooo tired of all these threads, why post on them :huh

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 05:13 PM)
Doesn't defensive minded mean good defense....

Timo is the worst defense CF I have ever seen. He sucked. I mean he totally sucked. TOTALLY!

No way in hell would they want him. However if they were stupid enough to take him who am I to complain. :lol:

seriously dont let your hatred for some players blind yourself from truth Timo was good you just hated the way he caught the ball even though he made like little to no errors.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 05:13 PM)
Doesn't defensive minded mean good defense....

Timo is the worst defense CF I have ever seen. He sucked. I mean he totally sucked. TOTALLY!

No way in hell would they want him. However if they were stupid enough to take him who am I to complain. :lol:

Timo's number of OF assists last yr and in previous years, shows he's solid defensively. His arm also has to be factored into the "defensive minded" equation, not just range and speed. If reports are true that Timo was injured last yr, he did fine playing through his injuries.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
IF Az is looking for a defensive minded CFer, and still give their young CFer some time to develop at the ML level, getting a LH bat like Timo is a decent fit. While Timo by himself might not get a deal done for Cintron, add in a bullpen arm from the sox and it sounds reasonable.

Cintron really doesn't fit in w/ Ariz, with Royce, counsell, Kata and Hairston around.

Not to mention Craig Counsell who they signed this past off season. The DBacks were one of the teams I truly thought the Sox would try to hit up for one of their middle infielders. I like Cintron...and Kata (even though he hasn't done much since his initial outburst). And to think...Craig Counsell was there for the taking (and I thought he would have been a great signing).

I dunno, but I think its kind of an oxymoron to have Timo Perez and defensive minded CF anywhere near him.

The guy is pathetic defensively. He has one thing going for them and thats a plus arm because his range is lousy (even for a RF) and down right Everettesque in CF. Unless he was extremely slowed by this supposed injury last season (the one the Sox have talked about at times) then I don't think Timo fits the profile for the dbacks, but if they want to give the Sox something for Timo...then make the deal :)

Not to mention Craig Counsell who they signed this past off season.  The DBacks were one of the teams I truly thought the Sox would try to hit up for one of their middle infielders.  I like Cintron...and Kata (even though he hasn't done much since his initial outburst).  And to think...Craig Counsell was there for the taking (and I thought he would have been a great signing).

Counsell lives out by you and really wanted to go back there.

QUOTE(JimH @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 04:40 PM)
Counsell lives out by you and really wanted to go back there.

Maybe now Jim...but I know he started out as a Midwestern boy and went to Notre Dame under Pat Murphy (ASU current HC). Didn't he start out in the Milwaukee system before he went for his first stint with the DBacks. I just like the guy...woulda loved to have had him on the Sox.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 04:49 PM)
Maybe now Jim...but I know he started out as a Midwestern boy and went to Notre Dame under Pat Murphy (ASU current HC).  Didn't he start out in the Milwaukee system before he went for his first stint with the DBacks.  I just like the guy...woulda loved to have had him on the Sox.

that dude has the ugliest batting stance the the MLB.

Once Frank comes back, there is no room for Timo on the Sox. Everett will become the fourth outfielder with Harris able to back up at CF in emergencies as well as being the backup 2B. Either Ozuna or Valdez will be the utility infielder, and I understand even Ozuna has played outfield before.

If the Sox can find a taker for Timo and his $1million salary, they should trade him.

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
why in the world would the dbacks want timo, id take cameron in a heartbeat

Let's see, they could get a veteran to platoon with their young RH hitting CFer, and who can play all 3 OF spots for $1 mill, instead of a .230 RH hitting CFer who'll make $12 mill. Now if Cameron only made $1 mill, maybe

Az has seen Timo a lot from when he was w/ NY. Could be possible.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 11:25 PM)
Once Frank comes back, there is no room for Timo on the Sox.  Everett will become the fourth outfielder with Harris able to back up at CF in emergencies as well as being the backup 2B.  Either Ozuna or Valdez will be the utility infielder, and I understand even Ozuna has played outfield before.

If the Sox can find a taker for Timo and his $1million salary, they should trade him.

Welcome to Soxtalk :headbang

I'd only trade Timo if Escobar was ready. the Sox still need a 4th OFer who can play good late inning defense. Everett and Harris don't fit that role. Ozuna prob. would have played more OF if he was any good there instead of the IF

Right now Timo can play a big role w/ the Sox. But if Escobar is healthy, he could do much of what Timo can.

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
You must not watch a lot of baseball.

Did you watch him in CF last season. He was horrible. He had balls dropping all around him, in front of him, that AROW or any halfway decent CF, would of had easily. I don't know what he did with the Mets because I don't watch a lot of Met games but I can't imagine he was that much better. His range was horrible. As a RF he's adaquate but below average. As a CF from what I saw last year he got a failing grade.

Next year we'll see if it was just the "injury" or if thats really what he's like.

Would I like to trade Timo? Yes I would, but is it likely to happen? No it isn't, just because KW and Ozzie love him, and because of his clutch hitting, which is his major value to the team. Also we signed Tony Alvarez to a minor - league deal, and Rotoworld thought he could be an option for the 4th outfielder, plus I'd like to see Escobar get some AB's down at Charlotte, instead of his ass riding on the pine every day.

Once Frank comes back, there is no room for Timo on the Sox.  Everett will become the fourth outfielder with Harris able to back up at CF in emergencies as well as being the backup 2B.  Either Ozuna or Valdez will be the utility infielder, and I understand even Ozuna has played outfield before.

So you would keep Carla who makes 4 million and can't play the field over Timo who makes 1 mil and can?

:chair :chair :chair

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 02:25 AM)
So you would keep Carla who makes 4 million and can't play the field over Timo who makes 1 mil and can?

:chair  :chair  :chair

Albeit not very well. I'm assuming you think Gload will be the DH if we trade Crazy Carl instead of Timo, because well Timo ain't going to produce numbers to justify that role. His value is as a pinch hitter, that's all. In the first few months as a DH while THomas is injured, Everett could hit well enough, that it could be very hard to keep him out of the lineup, we all remember the start he had in Texas in 2003 that made KW trade for him in the 1st place.