Top Ten AL Central Prospects

CWSGuy406

Note how deep the Twins' prospects go....Justin Jones is down on their list and he'd probably be #3 on the Sox's list.

Bartlett would probably be #1 on our list. Durbin would be right up there with McCarthy. Kubel would probably be #1 as well. Crain would be in the top 2 in our list. Ugh.

Depressing to see just how deep the Twins' farm system is.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)
Note how deep the Twins' prospects go....Justin Jones is down on their list and he'd probably be #3 on the Sox's list. 

Bartlett would probably be #1 on our list.  Durbin would be right up there with McCarthy.  Kubel would probably be #1 as well.  Crain would be in the top 2 in our list.  Ugh.

Depressing to see just how deep the Twins' farm system is.

I couldn't accept a decade of losing for a farm system like theirs.

a lot of people were upset because Jeremy Reed was traded to seattle for Freddy. i have no problem with that. we have a whole bunch of of's.(pods,aaron,dye,everett,timo,anderson,sweeney,young...)

u can always find a solid of. pitchers dont grow on trees.

....kudos to ozzie for helping out with getting freddy and the long term deal.

im excited with anderson, sweeney,Fields, and mcCarthy the most.

hopefully they arent busts. :headshake

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)

I don't know, I don't really like Justin Jones all that much. He was a repeat in the Midwest League and did much worse.

Anderson may not have as much upside as a team would like to see from its No. 1 prospect, but he’s a safe pick to settle in as a quality regular for a long time. The 2003 first-rounder projects as a .280-.290 hitter with 20-homer power. He should be able to stay in center field for at least a few years, depending on what happens with Aaron Rowand and Chris Young in the future. He’d be an elite defender in a corner. With Scott Podsednik likely to disappoint, Anderson should have a starting job in 2006. He might be a factor in the second half of this year if injuries are a problem for the White Sox.

Um, how does this guy know that SPod is likely to disappoint? :headshake

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 01:35 AM)
Um, how does this guy know that SPod is likely to disappoint?  :headshake

Nine years in the minor leagues -- 0 above .300 seasons -- Career minor league avg of .265. -- 112 SB's in 9 minor league seasons -- .347 career minor league slugging %.

One major league season with a .314/.379/.443 and 43 SB's

One major league season with a .244/.313/.364 and 70 SB's

The better question is why would you think that he's likely to impress?

QUOTE(danman31 @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 08:09 PM)
Caruso is a bad comparison. His OPS for 98 isn't even all that good, .721.

The point still stands that everyone here seems to be so confident in Podsednik, and he's had about one good season...

And is a career .260 minor league hitter.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)
The point still stands that everyone here seems to be so confident in Podsednik, and he's had about one good season...

And is a career .260 minor league hitter.

I still say if you look at his development in the minors he was improving so thats something that has to be noted. He also has great speed and that can mean that a hitter can carry a similar average at the major league level, especially since he should learn more to make contact as he plays long and with his type of speed that only leads to more hits.

I'm not saying he'll hit .300, but slap hitters with his type of speed can be quite sucessful and they don't necessarily need many, if any other tools. Of course thats easier said then done, but I do expect a .270 average out of Spod and think he could maybe hit in the .280 range.

Plus his road splits, average wise, weren't all that bad this past year. Obviously he has strides to make, but couldn't you also give the case of him suffering from the sophmore slump.

He's not an amazing leadoff hitter, but he's not as bad as some of you all make him out to be.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 05:32 PM)
The Twinkies farm system has to be drying out sometime soon. They're not getting good picks anymore. But yeah, a decade of losing for 5 good years or so. Ehhh I don't think I'd take it unless there was a World Series thrown into it.

Mark Buehrle was taken in the 38th round.

Placido Polanco was taken by the Sox after they drafted Ron Schueler's daughter

Mike Piazza was taken by the Dodgers in the 62nd round or so because he was related to someone in the organization(I think Lasorda, but I can't remember exactly).

Roger Clemens, one of the greatest pitchers in MLB history, was taken 19th overall in 1983. Names taken in front of him were Tim Belcher(taken #1 overall by the Twins, and did not sign), Jeff Kunkel, and Robbie Wine, and Joel Davis(by us at 13)...plus about 14 others I'm sure you've never heard of...a draft recap of 83. Clemens was starting for Boston in 84, and went 24-4 2.48 ERA .97 WHIP with a BAA of .195, a K/9 of just under 4, and a K/BB of just under 4.

Where you pick doesn't matter. Who you pick, and how they develop is what matters. Having good scouts, and having good minor league coaches is what is most important in developing minor leaguers...not having high picks.

High picks only occassionally guarantee the huge impact players at the MLB level...Mark Prior, Frank Thomas, Barry Bonds. Scouting is key...and apparently, the Twins have good scouts and and have guys who develop players well.

Here's the thing about Pods, he had a bad year last year with the stick but still scored 85 runs. Although 85 isn't a ton it's still more then Kotsay and Pods averaged more runs per game then Shannon Stewart did. I made the comparison with those two because both of those guys have high on base percentages but a low amount of stolen bases. Just an interesting comparison, imo.

i actually dont mind if our team falters this year. I mean yes id like us to succeed but if les say Podsenick has a down year or Jermaine Dye really sucks that just leaves a spot open for Brian Anderson and if El Duque gets injured next year or Contreras still sucks we have a spot for B-Mac. I know i should be optimistic but im not 2 sold on this team so while i would love for them to succeed if they failure ill be ok knowing that those 2 guys arent far away hopefully and that sweeney and fields will be behind them.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 13, 2005 -> 04:09 AM)
Having high picks certainly increases your margin for error however.  But you are correct, that great players come from all over the draft and many players develop later and/or work harder than others.

And there would have definitely been a great success rate for higher draft picks over the last few years, than when the draft first started.