Sox trade Escobar to Washington Nationals

maggsmaggs

You learn something knew about the game all the time. Why did the commisioner's office reject the deal? I didn't know you could over rule that with approval by the other owners.

It's not that I don't like Adkins. I'm lukewarm about him. I like Cotts better.

But I'm looking at it from a strength in the pen perspective:

Strong vs RH: Shingo, Hermanson, & Politte

Strong vs LH: Marte, Vizc, & ??

I'd like to replace Adkins with an experienced arm strong vs LH.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/features/freeagents - up to date

RP: Boehringer, Santos, Fetters(40), Frederick, Gracesqui, Leskanic, Levine, Mendoza, Nen, Shane Reynolds, Service, & Zimmerman.

SP: Ashby, Daal, Oliver, Poppel

I would like to see either

Mendoza v LH: 216A, 286O, 294S; v RH: 233A, 270O, 367S

or

Robb Nen v LH: 224A, 270O, 316S; v RH: .242A, .297O, .290S .

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

or

Robb Nen v LH: 224A, 270O, 316S; v RH:  .242A,  .297O,  .290S .

It's nice to look at all the numbers but both these two guys have health issues and Nen for sure will not be ready to pitch at the start of the season.

There is a reason why these guys are still out there.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Feb 13, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)

or

Robb Nen v LH: 224A, 270O, 316S; v RH:  .242A,  .297O,  .290S .

Mendoza will be a yankee and why would nen come to a hitters park like ours when he could go to a better team that plays in a pitchers park?

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(JimH @ Feb 13, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
More walks than strikeouts for Owens in the Arizona Fall League this year, 74 AB's with 11 walks and 8 K's.

They must have thought something of him if they sent him to the AFL.

Apparently Bowden is obsessed with Escobar (at least that's what the earlier post said) so maybe we did indeed get a steal.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 13, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
Larkin officialy retired.

Hired in Nationals front office.

MLB Link

Good move for Bowden, I really like Larkin and admire him for playing his whole career with one club.

He was an all-star player for a long time and was the best player on the 1990 World Series championship team.

Hopefully he does well in his front office ventures.

Nen's rotator cuff is torn -- perhaps as much as 75 percent -- but surgery to completely repair it has a very low success rate, Conte said. And Nen doesn't want to go through another operation.

Mendoza, who pitched horribly for the Red Sox the past two years, had right shoulder surgery in mid-January. The righthander told Newsday that he's shooting for a May return. The Dodgers have also have expressed interest, but Mendoza very much wants to return to the Bronx, so expect it to happen - even if Mendoza has to spend some time at Triple-A Columbus.

Damn. So either we go with Adkins & Cotts in a 6-7 man pen or we find someone better that doesn't earn a ML spot in ST. Slim pickings.

Well the Guillen deal was probably a good one though. The rest weren't very good. One thing to add abotu Nenn is that the Rockies seemed to have high interest so we may be a better choice by comparison. I'm surprised the Cubs haven't moved in but with Williamson and Fox-they may too many hurt relievers.

02/13/2005 4:24 PM ET

Owens added to White Sox reserve

Club trades Escobar to get something in return

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- The pool of right-handed hitters off the bench shrunk by one for the White Sox on Sunday, when outfielder Alex Escobar was traded to the Washington Nationals for minor league outfielder Jerry Owens.

But general manager Ken Williams seems more than satisfied with his team's current options in reserve, regardless of what side of the plate they swing the bat.

"When you have good left-handed hitting, the need for a right-handed hitter off the bench is diminished quite a bit," said Williams from his home in Arizona on Sunday afternoon. "It's overplayed a little."

News and features:

• Takatsu: Fans 'made a difference'

• White Sox Spring Training quick hits

• White Sox eager to check out new faces

Multimedia:

• GM Ken Williams on Sox's offseason moves

• MLB.com's Scott Merkin on White Sox's offseason

• A.J. Pierzynski conference call

Info: Schedule | Ballpark | Tickets

MLB.com's complete coverage

During SoxFest at the Hyatt Regency in January, manager Ozzie Guillen identified a right-handed hitter off the bench as one of the minor concerns still to be addressed for the White Sox. That particular player was to join Ross Gload and Timo Perez, two left-handed hitters who absolutely excelled in reserve during the 2004 campaign.

Williams made it clear Sunday that these right-handed options already exist, especially when a healthy Frank Thomas returns. With the slugging designated hitter in the lineup, either switch-hitting Carl Everett, Aaron Rowand or Jermaine Dye will be available, depending on the starting lineup for that day.

Those temporary bench options don't even factor in backup catcher Ben Davis, who is a switch-hitter, and utility infielder candidates Wilson Valdez and Pablo Ozuna, who both hit from the right side. Although the 40-man roster currently sits at 39, it's unlikely Williams will add another veteran to compete for a backup role.

The opening doesn't necessarily increase the chances for non-roster invitees such as catchers Jamie Burke and Chris Widger or outfielder Tony Alvarez, all of whom are right-handed hitters. Basically, Sunday's trade centered on getting something for Escobar, before the White Sox had to give him up without any compensation.

"We had six outfielders, and the fact of the matter is that Alex would have to make the team or go through waivers," said Williams of Escobar, who the White Sox claimed off waivers from Cleveland on Aug. 16 of last season.

"In reality, he might have been a guy that we could have afforded the luxury of carrying," Williams added. "But he might have been the first guy out if we had to add anyone. Then, we would have had to put him through waivers."

Williams still remains high on Escobar, something he conveyed to the 26-year-old Sunday morning. Escobar was limited to just 62 games last season, between Cleveland and Triple-A Buffalo, because of a navicular fracture in his right foot. But Escobar was said to be healthy and ready for Spring Training.

Owens, who turns 24 on Feb. 16, gets equally higher marks from the White Sox general manager. Williams, along with White Sox scouts Bill Young, Doug Laumann and Gary Pellant, all had the chance to watch Owens during the Arizona Fall League, where the potential leadoff hitter finished with a .270 average, 19 runs scored and three stolen bases for the Peoria Javelinas.

"I didn't even realize that (Williams) had seen me in person," said Owens from his home in Newhall, Calif., located 25 minutes north of Los Angeles. "The news was a little unexpected, but I'm excited to be with a new organization, in a new place."

During the 2004 season with Class A Savannah, the 6-foot-3, 195-pound left-handed hitting Owens posted a .292 average, with one home run, 37 RBIs and 30 stolen bases. He was a second-round selection of Montreal in 2003, but played only two games for Class A Vermont because of a separated shoulder suffered when he crashed into an outfield wall. He also had hernia surgery during the season.

Football actually stood as Owens' sport of choice until he turned 21, having played wide receiver for UCLA and on the same high school team as Baltimore Ravens' quarterback Kyle Boller. He eventually transferred to The Masters College in California to pursue a baseball career.

Although Owens' style of play doesn't mirror the more powerful approach shown by former Oklahoma St. quarterback Josh Fields, the White Sox's 2004 first pick in the First-Year Player Draft, their late commitments to exclusively playing baseball are somewhat similar. Williams only hopes the fleet-footed Owens produces the same solid numbers as Fields did with Class A Winston-Salem, either as part of the Warthogs or with Double-A Birmingham.

It's a good risk to take, in exchange for a player who seemed to be an outfield luxury, more than a necessity.

"He was a target right from the inception of our conversations," said Williams of Owens. "I like his upside a lot."

"I've made huge strides, in terms of knowledge of the game, since I was drafted two years ago," Owens added. "Playing in the (Arizona) Fall League, around guys who have been in pro ball for five or six years, helped me learn the ins and outs of the game. I even watch baseball on television differently -- it's more of a study than just entertainment."

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Feb 13, 2005 -> 03:49 PM)
I'm not too broken up about this deal. I mean I liked Escobar because he was more insurance from us ever having to see Borchard again but with Sweeney and Anderson coming up the next few years I don't think we will have much to worry about as far as outfielders.

Who's to say that Escobar would have been or would be any better then Borchard? :huh:

Once you get to the mendoza line level or around that area, it really doesn't seem to matter how bad you are...because, plain and simply, you are s***ty.

Borchard just made it even more fun considering he hit about .170, or whatever it was he hit.

This Owens kind of sounds like he could be a 26 or 27 year old prospect here.  Very little experience playing pro baseball, and he quit after his sophomore year in high school?

Considering Escobar cost us nothing, this is a very good trade.  Escobar had no place on the roster, and Owens may have a bright future.  Almost feels reminiscent to the Singleton for Harris trade.

Agreed, Nice move KW..

IMO Alex was a last option if KW could not sign anyone this offseason.

You learn something knew about the game all the time. Why did the commisioner's office reject the deal? I didn't know you could over rule that with approval by the other owners.

RP: Boehringer, Santos, Fetters(40), Frederick, Gracesqui, Leskanic, Levine, Mendoza, Nen, Shane Reynolds, Service, & Zimmerman.

QUOTE]

You don't need three relievers who are strong against lefthanders because not even a quarter of major league hitters are left-handed. Why would you have half of your bullpen focused on maybe 15-20% of the league. It just doesn't make any sense. Adkins is just as good as any of those guys, plus he can stay healthy.

QUOTE]

You don't need three relievers who are strong against lefthanders because not even a quarter of major league hitters are left-handed. Why would you have half of your bullpen focused on maybe 15-20% of the league. It just doesn't make any sense. Adkins is just as good as any of those guys, plus he can stay healthy.

CLE & MIN might have the best LH bats in the AL. That's why.

Right now I'd expect him to start the year off with the Warthogs for a few reasons. Mainly because Sweeney, Anderson and Brice should start the year off at Birmingham in my opinion, plus you've got Mike Spidale as well, who could be in Charlotte or back at B-Ham. I don't think Owens is going to turn into anything more than a Joey Gathright however though, but it's always good to have another potential leadoff hitter in the minors developing for you.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 13, 2005 -> 08:20 PM)
Right now I'd expect him to start the year off with the Warthogs for a few reasons. Mainly because Sweeney, Anderson and Brice should start the year off at Birmingham in my opinion, plus you've got Mike Spidale as well, who could be in Charlotte or back at B-Ham. I don't think Owens is going to turn into anything more than a Joey Gathright however though, but it's always good to have another potential leadoff hitter in the minors developing for you.

If he turned into a joey gathright i would be very pleased. Gathright is gonna be a damn good player given the chance. But for some reason the devil rays do not seem to want to give him the chance.

I wanted to see how Escobar does with Whitesox especially him being highly touted before with the Mets. But getting Owens instead of nothing for Escobar is a good move. I agree with others here that probably somebody will come in maybe that utility guy that we need.