Santana signs with Twins, 4 years, 40 million

the deal isn't that great. as good as Santana has been for a year and a half, I'm not sure he's worth a deal like this just yet.

don't get me wrong, he has all the ability in the world to go and repeat this past season ... I just have my doubts.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 14, 2005 -> 05:38 PM)
He asked for Roy Halladay money and he nearly got it.

After winning the Cy Young, Halladay signed to a four year, $42M deal.

Santan signs for four years, $40M.

Its not a good deal.

Its not a bad deal.

Its a fair deal and the Twins paid market value.

Santana has been dominant since 2002, it's not like he just suddenly broke out last season. It's debatable that he should have been a regular starter beginning that season. The market is paying guys with career mediocrity around $9M/yr, there's no way Santana got fair market value. I'd bet NY, BOS, ANA or any other team with $ would have paid him 3/40 this season, which means if he'd held on for FA he could have gotten more. From watching him pitch, which we have had to endure too much as white sox fans, there's no question the guy is an absolute stud and I didn't see anything that will make that change in the next couple of years. Nice to see a bit of loyalty to a small market team.

From the Mpls Startribune.com

Santana agrees to 4-year deal

Star Tribune

February 14, 2005 SANTANA0215

AL Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana and the Minnesota Twins agreed today to a four-year contract.

The 25-year-old left-hander, who had been scheduled for a salary arbitration hearing Tuesday, led the league with a 2.61 ERA and 265 strikeouts last season. He become the first Venezuelan to win the Cy Young and the first unanimous winner in the AL since Pedro Martinez in 2000.

He set a Twins record by winning 13 consecutive games and didn't lose in 15 starts after the All-Star break, going 13-0 with a 1.21 ERA to help Minnesota win its third straight AL Central division title.

Santana, who would have been eligible for free agency after the 2006 season, had asked for a raise from $1.6 million to $6.8 million and had been offered $5 million by the Twins.

I can't believe they got it done. There's a great deal of loyalty in that clubhouse; everyone really likes Gardenhire and, to a lesser extent, Ryan. With any luck, Ozzie can continue building the same sort of camaraderie the Twinks have.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Feb 14, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
He sold himself short. After this season Randy Johnson's salary would of been a starting point. He's either stupid or just not greedy. Damn why can't we have players like that... :headshake

AJ? Dye? Frank? How about the contract that your boy Rowand signed after this season? :huh:

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ Feb 14, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
You moved it just as I was making note of the fact.

I actually think this is stuff is fine on the White Sox board but hell that's just me.

There's really no consensus or rules so to speak as to what goes where, I just moved it because it was Non-Sox. It'd get too confusing if we had certain guidelines, so we all just move stuff at our own discretion basically.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 14, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
There's really no consensus or rules so to speak as to what goes where, I just moved it because it was Non-Sox.  It'd get too confusing if we had certain guidelines, so we all just move stuff at our own discretion basically.

Better split the thread and take it to the Roadhouse.

Santana's agent should be fired for this disservice. Loyalty and commitment undoubtedly factors into contracts, but should have little weight when you're the reigning AL Cy Young in the midst of an inflated market. Rotoworld's right; he would have scored big on the FA market.

This just epitomizes everything which defines the success of the Twins organization. I'm tired of hearing fans congratulating these bastards. The entire Twins organization (esp. minor league system), in addition to Jim Hendry, Billy Beane and Scott Boras, should be collectively removed from baseball. The world will look kindly upon the White Sox only when these four figures are removed from MLB service. Winning would help too, I suppose. :D