Pierzynski and his past

MinnesotaSoxFan

Trashing a trashy past

For Pierzynski, error of his ways now out of the way

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

March 6, 2005

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Two boxes of A.J. Pierzynski's catching gear arrived Thursday at Tucson Electric Park.

His shiny black shinguards came with his jersey No. 12 inscribed in gray at the bottom in one box.

But when he opened his second box, there was a problem.

His large equipment bag arrived in a navy blue color reminiscent of his former Minnesota team instead of black and silver.

But that's the only baggage problem Pierzynski, 28, has experienced since joining the White Sox, a significant contrast from his troublesome 2004 season with San Francisco.

Harsh criticism from Giants pitchers overshadowed his career-best 77 RBIs, achieved while hitting half his games in a park tailored more for pitchers.

With that baggage behind him, the Sox have welcomed Pierzynski with open arms since he signed as a free agent two months ago.

"We've had some enjoyable conversations about everything and everybody," pitching coach Don Cooper said. "He's a veteran guy, and he's showing me he wants to do the job he needs to do. He wants to learn the pitchers, he wants to be specific about the guys. He wants to be on the same page."

The camaraderie began during the first week of spring training when Cooper took Pierzynski to dinner to meet advance scout Bryan Little and discuss strengths and weaknesses of opposing batters.

"Anything that will help me get comfortable with these guys is fine with me," Pierzynski said. "And no one knows better than the pitching coach. He's been great, I appreciate him extending the offer, and it's something that will help us down the road.

"We talk daily about what's going on with the pitchers. It's something he wanted to do, and it's a great idea."

The lines of communication are much better than they were last year with the Giants.

Pierzynski was barbecued last April in an Oakland Tribune story in which anonymous pitchers questioned his preparation. The unnamed pitchers called him "a cancer" and an "abrasive person." The story cited an incident in which he complained about his pitchers during a game with San Diego's Phil Nevin at the plate.

"I had to play detective to find out who it was," Pierzynski sighed. "If they say it to my face, we can work it out. Behind my back shows the kind of persons they are."

Pierzynski's tenure with the Giants was full of paradoxes. The Giants thought so highly of him they completed a trade with Minnesota in less than a week after Twins general manager Terry Ryan informed team officials Pierzynski was available. The Giants were willing to give up three pitchers, including former first-round pick Boof Bonser and Joe Nathan, who became an All-Star closer.

Pierzynski, meanwhile, took the Giants to arbitration and won $3.5 million instead of the Giants' bid of $2.25 million.

But a .236 batting average in April made him a target of fans, and he didn't react well, one time making an obscene gesture to fans who heckled him.

Yet Pierzynski received rave reviews for his radio work from KNBR's Ralph Barbieri, who co-hosts the top sports talk show in Northern California.

Despite his slow start, Pierzynski rebounded offensively, and pitchers actually had a lower ERA when they threw to Pierzynski (4.23) than they did when popular backup Yorvit Torrealba was behind the plate (4.47).

Pierzynski's numbers could improve now that he's out of SBC Park and will move into U.S. Cellular Field. He batted .283 at home last season, but eight of his 11 home runs and 46 of his RBIs came on the road.

"San Francisco is a horrible place for left-handed hitters," Pierzynski said. "I'm glad to be away from there, but I've had a little bit of success at U.S. Cellular and hope this team wins more games."

The Sox will lean on Pierzynski for his knowledge as much as his bat. With three seasons as Minnesota's full-time catcher in 2001-03, the Sox will lean on him as another resource in attempting to solve American League Central rivals.

It helps that he has spent all but one of his 4½ major-league seasons in the AL, which should help acclimate him to catching new teammates Freddy Garcia, Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras, Orlando Hernandez and Jon Garland as well as sharing tips on former Minnesota teammate and 2004 AL Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana.

"It's a little different when they're on your team," Pierzynski said. "You can look at all the scouting reports you want, but guys are going to get hits, guys are going to make bad pitches and commit errors. It's a matter of limiting them."

It's also a matter of getting to know everyone better, which may lead to more social sessions with Cooper.

"He knows every guy but is learning a lot more every day by watching [the pitchers] and talking about them," Cooper said. "This is something we wanted to accomplish, so we're attacking it now rather than April 3."

Dustin Hermanson, who will be pitching in the AL for the second time in his 10-year career, will be leaning on Pierzynski and backup Ben Davis for help.

"I'm going to be using them, so they'd better be ready," Hermanson said.

Copyright © 2005, The Chicago Tribune

If I was AJ, I would burn the equipment bag...

Just to send a message...

"San Francisco is a horrible place for left-handed hitters," Pierzynski said. "I'm glad to be away from there, but I've had a little bit of success at U.S. Cellular and hope this team wins more games."

Yeah, just look what it's done to Bonds' career. :D

In my mind, AJ has a clean slate.

This story is exactly what I expected to hear about him, and exactly what I wanted to hear.

My biggest fear about AJ is that he'll be one-and-done with the Sox - I'm afraid that after he re-establishes his reputation, he'll be more coveted, more expensive and gone.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
In my mind, AJ has a clean slate.

This story is exactly what I expected to hear about him, and exactly what I wanted to hear.

My biggest fear about AJ is that he'll be one-and-done with the Sox - I'm afraid that after he re-establishes his reputation, he'll be more coveted, more expensive and gone.

I think we have an option for '06.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)

You mean JR the spend-thrift will refuse to open the purse strings to resign AJ? Where do you get such hair-brained ideas? :P

QUOTE(CubKilla @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 12:56 PM)
You mean JR the spend-thrift will refuse to open the purse strings to resign AJ? Where do you get such hair-brained ideas?  :P

I wasn't really coming at it from that aspect, since I don't have QUITE the same level of anti-Jerry angst as some people.... :D

I was thinking that there aren't all that many high-quality catchers out there in free agency in a given offseason, and if AJ gets his rep back, he'd be pretty highly coveted, which could raise the salary and years above the limits the Sox impose on themselves.

I suppose that could be construed the same way your comment was, but I really don't have a huge problem with a team setting a salary level for themselves and sticking with it. It doesn't fly with many people, but the Sox can't or won't pay like the Yankees, Red Cubs or Baby Bears, and whether we accept it or not, that's what they're going to do. I don't let it bother me.....not worth the hand-wringing, IMO.

Interesting part of the article to me was they booed him for having

a bad April.

I don't think Sox fans would bury a guy after one month like that.

We've had several Sox start slowly before and I don't remember

anybody getting booed.

As long as the team isn't buried in April, I don't see any reason

for a plethora of boos.

There's a lot of areas in which the Sox may improve from having A.J on board this board and which they WILL improve. Frankly, I'm not too concerned about his offensive numbers, because I know they'll increase from him moving over to the Cell from SBC Park. IF he can handle this pitching staff very well, and the ERA from the games he catches are significantly lower than say from the games Ben Davis caught last year, well that's going to make a HELL of a difference.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)

a bad April.

anybody getting booed.

for a plethora of boos.

I seem to recall a guy named Aaron Rowand. Came into the year with a career average around .270 had a bad april and everyone gave up on him. All we heard about how much he sucked. Then in spite of Ozzies best efforts to stop him he carries the team and everyone is forced to respect him. It happens everywhere.

That being said I think AJ will do good here.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 08:20 AM)
There's a lot of areas in which the Sox may improve from having A.J on board this board and which they WILL improve. Frankly, I'm not too concerned about his offensive numbers, because I know they'll increase from him moving over to the Cell from SBC Park. IF he can handle this pitching staff very well, and the ERA from the games he catches are significantly lower than say from the games Ben Davis caught last year, well that's going to make a HELL of a difference.

Anyone can have a better cera than davis.

:puke

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(greg775 @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 02:51 AM)

a bad April.

anybody getting booed.

for a plethora of boos.

Speaking of which, in 2003, did how long was it till we started booing Paul Konerko?

And, IIRC, if we did boo Konerko, it was more of a motivational boo, a 'light a fire under his ass' boo, rather than a 'you suck and we dislike you' boo, which is what I take from the article...