Konerko Contract News

DBAHO

Some important points here;

TUCSON, Ariz. - When it comes to contract extensions, no news is usually bad news.

And Paul Konerko has yet to hear from the White Sox

Last week, the 30-year-old first baseman nodded over to Frank Thomas' locker stall and marveled at Thomas' 15-year run in the same uniform.

Loyalty is almost nonexistent in professional sports these days, but it's part of Konerko's fabric. He's happy on the South Side and wants to spend the rest of his career with the White Sox.

Of course, there's that little matter of money.

Richie Sexson signed a four-year, $50 million contract with the Seattle Mariners this winter, and Carlos Delgado got a four-year, $52 million deal from the Florida Marlins.

Konerko is in line for a similar contract, and he deserves to get it from the Sox. He's also open to deferring some of the money, which was a huge sticking point with Ordonez.

Still in his prime, Konerko is positioned for another productive season, and he should have plenty of RBI opportunities with a pair of speedsters - Scott Podsednik and Tadahito Iguchi - at the top of the order.

Despite all the sniping, the White Sox did just about all they could to keep Ordonez. They'll have a much easier time retaining Konerko.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BuehrleTheAce @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
Wheels needs to be shown the money and kept in the Pale Hose! C'mon Kenny, do the right thing!

I think Konerko should do the right thing and give us a home-town discount considering his 2003.

I was looking at Koney getting 45/5 but damn! Sexson got 50/4?

That's insane! If Koney is due for 50/5 I'd have to say sayonara.

He's opened the door with deferred money. 2-3M deferred a yr on a 45/5 deal is signable. 3-4M deferred a yr on a 50/5 deal is reasonable.

But he needs to have solid road numbers this year to get that kind of money.

We better keep PK. i dont think they are that stupid, to let CLee, Maggs, Jose, Pk leave in back to back yrs. Knowing the sox, they might go the cheap way and say ross is good enough to play everyday.

>Bruce Levine said that Pk told the sox he would sign for a hometown discount, but his agent didnt want him to.

PK actually wants to stay, unlike Maggs. the sox need to do the right thing for once in their life.

i dont see paulie making delgado/sexson type money. PK is just good at hitting at the cell, thats it.

KW, JR... :pray

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
. PK is just good at hitting at the cell, thats it.

KW, JR...  :pray

:headshake Because pauly had 1 year where he hit much better at the cell then on the road that means he can only hit at the cell??

I hate to say it, but I don't believe that Konerko is worth the kind of money that Sexson and Delgado got. Hell, I don't think that Sexson and Delgado are worth the money that they got.

I want to see how he does without Lee and Ordonez batting around him. If he does well, I'd offer him a one year deal for $8-10 mill.

Long term deals for that kind of money are stupid unless they are multi-tool players like Beltran or A-Rod.

I like Konerko and wouldn't mind seeing him sign a long-term deal, but let's not forget the last time he signed a deal. A year into it, a lot of people, including management, were looking back and questioning whether it was a good move, and looking ahead and seeing $16 million going to a player who may not be worth it.

Unless Konerko reproduces what he did last season, there is no reason to give him $10 mil or more a season.

QUOTE(Molto @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
I like Konerko and wouldn't mind seeing him sign a long-term deal, but let's not forget the last time he signed a deal. A year into it, a lot of people, including management, were looking back and questioning whether it was a good move, and looking ahead and seeing $16 million going to a player who may not be worth it.

Unless Konerko reproduces what he did last season, there is no reason to give him $10 mil or more a season.

Which is exactly the reason that PK has not heard from the Sox on his contract. I think they want to take a wait and see attitude.

Just like PK is willing to give the Sox a hometown discout, the Sox may want to think about overpaying for him just a bit.

It can't all be about numbers. Frank is close to retirement and he isn't the most fan-friendly player.

Paul Konerko is the face of the White Sox. Like it or not, a big-hitting, beer-swilling, speak-his-mind, type of person (such as PK) is the person who needs to represent the Southsiders for the next 5 years.

Actually Konerko and Rowand should lead the Sox until 2010. Hard-nosed grinders.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
Just like PK is willing to give the Sox a hometown discout, the Sox may want to think about overpaying for him just a bit.

It can't all be about numbers. Frank is close to retirement and he isn't the most fan-friendly player.

Paul Konerko is the face of the White Sox. Like it or not, a big-hitting, beer-swilling, speak-his-mind, type of person (such as PK) is the person who needs to represent the Southsiders for the next 5 years.

Actually Konerko and Rowand should lead the Sox until 2010. Hard-nosed grinders.

you are right, Konerko is a good face for the franchise, which is why I would consider giving him a 4-5 year deal for close to $10 mil, IF he has another productive season and proves to be an important bat in the lineup.

I'm with Mario -- Konerko isn't worth upwards of ten million per year.

And I don't buy the whole, "he's the face of the team" junk. Aaron Rowand could be that guy, and put up damn good numbers doing it.

I said it last year with Ordonez, and I'll say it with Konerko -- neither are the top players at their respective positions, thus, they don't deserve a mammoth contract.

I'd like to offer another scenario if I may.

Oakland won a WS with the bash-brothers. They were never brothers but there was a kinship felt between them. They are now tainted.

Frank & Koney could be the new bash-brothers the next 3 yrs. Koney has said everything right this year towards that endeavor. What would commercial spots of Frank & Koney together be worth to the ChiSox & MLB in general?

Koney is a proven star at the Cell so there's no point in justifying his worth there. His weakness is on the road but consider these numbers:

2000 road: Frank 79G, 309/923. Koney 71G 305/867

2001 road: Frank 7G, 261/1002. Koney 79G 266/794

2002 road: Frank 74G, 240/706. Koney 77G 318/889

2003 road: Frank 73G, 249/833. Koney 67G 223/670

2004 road: Frank 37G, 274/892. Koney 77G 239/708

Koney's worse seasons came with the bad foot (03), & when Frank was on the DL (01, 04). In those seasons where Frank was healthy & played nearly as many games as Koney, Koney produced good road numbers.

Which means if the Sox make a commitment to Frank & can keep him healthy they will get the best out of Konerko. As a pkg'd deal you're probably looking at 70-80HR, 280-290A, 200RBI, 110R for about 20M/yr.

Compare that to any other combination of 20M/yr around the league.

I think it represents a good buy.

Why is everyone talking about 4-5 years? What about 3/$28-$30 mil. He'll still be young if the Sox want to go in a different direction and they won't be stuck for all that long. It's really only two years, cuz they could always trade him midway through the 3rd year?

Did Koney say he wanted 4 years?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
:headshake  Because pauly had 1 year where he hit much better at the cell then on the road that means he can only hit at the cell??

compare his home-road numbers....u's always b**** about paulie needing to do better on the road.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
I'm with Mario -- Konerko isn't worth upwards of ten million per year.

And I don't buy the whole, "he's the face of the team" junk.  Aaron Rowand could be that guy, and put up damn good numbers doing it.

I said it last year with Ordonez, and I'll say it with Konerko -- neither are the top players at their respective positions, thus, they don't deserve a mammoth contract.

how many 1st baseman in the al are better than PK? we all know he got ripped off last yr with the all star game..

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 11:19 PM)
how many 1st baseman in the al are better than PK? we all know he got ripped off last yr with the all star game..

Travis Hafner (though he DH's).

Sexson is about where Konerko is at.

Delgado, though not in the AL, is better than Konerko.

David Ortiz -- a 1B/DH type, though certainly a lot more DH -- is better than PK.

Teixera will be better, as will Maurneau (sp?).

Derrek Lee is right around where Konerko is at, plus better defensively.

These are off the top of my head (a mix of both AL and NL)...

It's all about bang for your buck. Konerko is nowhere near worth $10 million, and if he asks for that, you move on and wish him well in his future.

Gload + RH platoon guy @ 1 Million >>>> Konerko @ $10 Million.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
Travis Hafner (though he DH's).

Sexson is about where Konerko is at.

Delgado, though not in the AL, is better than Konerko.

David Ortiz -- a 1B/DH type, though certainly a lot more DH -- is better than PK.

Teixera will be better, as will Maurneau (sp?).

Derrek Lee is right around where Konerko is at, plus better defensively.

These are off the top of my head (a mix of both AL and NL)...

It's all about bang for your buck.  Konerko is nowhere near worth $10 million, and if he asks for that, you move on and wish him well in his future.

Gload + RH platoon guy @ 1 Million >>>> Konerko @ $10 Million.

i said American league.

1)hafner doesnt count hes a dh

2)DLee is in the NL- plus PK was better than lee last yr.

3) delgado NL

4)Mornea you said, will be better. but he isnt yet.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)
I'd like to offer another scenario if I may.

Oakland won a WS with the bash-brothers.  They were never brothers but there was a kinship felt between them.  They are now tainted.

Frank & Koney could be the new bash-brothers the next 3 yrs.  Koney has said everything right this year towards that endeavor.  What would commercial spots of Frank & Koney together be worth to the ChiSox & MLB in general?

I can't believe nobody else thought of that IN THE FIRST 6 YEARS they played with each other.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Mar 19, 2005 -> 12:02 AM)
i said American league.

1)hafner doesnt count hes a dh

2)DLee is in the NL- plus PK was better than lee last yr.

3) delgado NL

4)Mornea you said, will be better. but he isnt yet.

Point remains the same -- Konerko doesn't deserve anything about eight million -- IMHO. He has a career 111 OPS+ -- above average, but not a guy I want making 8-12 million per year -- which is what Konerko will be asking for.

And he'll probably get it, too.

I just think the money can be spent better elsewhere (like qwerty's guy comin' over from Japan -- the 24 year old who throws the gyro-ball, don't want to attempt the name spelling).