George Offman hypes Pablo Ozuna and B-Mac

Jabroni

George Offman of WSCR 670 The Score said that Pablo Ozuna has pretty much locked up the utility role with the Sox. He's hitting .540 (20 for 37) this spring and has played SS, 2B, 3B, and even played LF today. He is the ultimate utility-man.

Offman also hyped up Brandon McCarthy saying he's on Mark Prior's level as far as maturity. He called him a "star" and said he will be a "stud" in the MLB. However, there will have to be an injury or someone in the rotation will have to struggle for him to be brought up. Offman said McCarthy WILL pitch for the Sox this year, most likely later in the season.

Offman also thinks that Ben Davis will be traded, possibly for a veteran utility guy even though the Sox like Ozuna. He sees our catching duo being Pierzynski and Burke with Widger being our backup catcher in the minors.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
Offman also hyped up Brandon McCarthy saying he's on Mark Prior's level as far as maturity.  He called him a "star" and said he will be a "stud" in the MLB.  However, there will have to be an injury or someone in the rotation will have to struggle for him to be brought up.  Offman said McCarthy WILL pitch for the Sox this year, most likely later in the season.

Well that's just ducky... Prior's known for his maturity. Thanks Offman. :rolly

Who is George Offman and why should we care what he thinks?

George Offman is The Score's baseball reporter just like how Bruce Levine is ESPN 1000's. They are both in camp reporting the stories for both teams.

Well that's just ducky... Prior's known for his maturity.  Thanks Offman. :rolly

I think he meant as far as being ready for the MLB at a young age.

Edited by Jabroni

I wish I could see Ozuna play to see if he's better than Harris.

Ozuna is a good line drive hitter and is hitting singles and doubles with ease. He doesn't have as much speed as Willie but he seems to be a much better base runner. He is great at running from 1st to 3rd on a single. He has played SS, 2B, 3B, and even LF today. Ozuna actually played a few games in CF for the Marlins and Rockies a few years back.

Of course, it's still just Spring Training. ;)

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 10:53 PM)
Ozuna is a good line drive hitter and is hitting singles and doubles with ease.  He doesn't have as much speed as Willie but he seems to be a much better base runner.  He is great at running from 1st to 3rd on a single.  He has played SS, 2B, 3B, and even LF today.  Ozuna actually played a few games in CF for the Marlins and Rockies a few years back.

Of course, it's still just Spring Training. ;)

Get ozuna in your sig instead of b-mac.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 12:05 AM)
He started b****ing about having to sign so many autographs, right?

He left little kids crying without their autograph after he filled his 'autograph quota'. I think it was 500.

Also, if you wanted an autograph, you had to buy a rediculous amount of product from Just Ducky.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2004 @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 07:37 AM)
Can anybody tell me about Pablo's defense?  I haven't seen him yet.

He's made some very good plays at SS, such as a throw from the outfield grass, at 3b, diving stops and throws to 1b to get runner. He seems to have a strong arm, good range and decent hands [gets what's hit to him]. As far as a UTL guy goes, Ozuna seems solid defensively [someone who won't hurt the team given one start a week, or as a late inning replacement]. I remember hearing on the radio only one instance where Ozuna should have gotten a ball, and that was on a pop fly to LF

Thoughts:

First and foremost, we have found our utility guy, look no further than Pablo Ozuna. Thus far, he has been doing everything Kenny, Ozzie and co. have asked of him in camp and in my estimation, that is the single best way to make a big leauge roster. He has fielded the ball nicely at whatever position he was put at, he has shown arm strength and range in the field, and he has been straight raking the baseball at the dish. For those of you who haven't been able to see him, I think compairing him to Mr. Uribe is fairly accurate. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he has similar range (minus arm strength), a similar defensive flare, and an uncanny approach at the plate (minus power producation). I think Ozuna has simply earned his spot this ST. He came in knowning he was fighting for a spot and has out preformed everyone he competed against, including the incumbent Willie Harris. Ozuna also has some sick minor leauge totals:

Click Here, Wow

As far as BMac goes, what else can be said of him? He is the best pitcher in camp right now...straight up, no two ways about it. He has dynamite stuff, attacks hitters, and seems to have a real good head on his shoulders. Truly, he has all the makeups of an ace. Personally, I still feel he'd be better suited with another 1-2 years in the minors, but I know a lot disagree with me on that. For the first time in ages, we have a legit, upper-tier pitching prospect and the last thing the Sox oughta do is rush him.

Catchers: I've been really impressed with Widger. This dates back tot he first time I heard him interviewed. He had the right approach to ST: I know I've been out of baseball for a year, but I really just want to come in and show people what I can do...and he has. His natural talent is evident when you see a ball in the dirt. He has a great ability to knock a ball down and keep it in front of him. Defensively, he is very sound. I also realize he is probably a lot cheaper than Gentle Ben. I'll be the first to admit $1M isn't too bad to pay a very, very serviceable catcher in the AL, but if Widger continues to preform at this rapid clip, I think it would be wise to see if any team is desperate enough to give up a little too much for Ben.

It's been a very positive ST. Really, I'm psyched about the season and I don't know the last time I felt this way coming out of ST.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 05:37 PM)
Yeah, how mature was Marky after Bartman interfered with the ball, didn't he lose his composure a little bit?

They blame that on the curse. Jesus is perfect, don't ya know?