Credit for Saves

Tannerfan

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 03:41 AM)
I have no interest in correcting grammar mistakes, so no, thank you.  I don't agree that their/there is much different than other mistakes.  It's a spelling error, just like "definately".  (After all, the writer clearly understood each meaning.)  Reading a sentence that throws together verb tenses in the wrong way is more jarring to me.

Btw, it's not true that the two words have different sounds.  At least, it's not generally true (you might pronounce them differently) -- most dictionaries list identical accepted pronunciations.  Just saying.  (That is a fragment, for which I apologize profusely.)

If this issue gets raised every time the two words are switched it's going to get real old, real fast.

Now back to FullHouseTalk...

So you are stating that when you pronounce the word there it sounds exactly the same as the word their? I find that hard to believe and that is what I was stating. I think you knew that and I think you know that the two words sound different when you say them. I also find it difficult to view their/there as a typo or a spelling error. They are 2 completely different words. There is not a word that is spelled definately. Now that would be a spelling error or typo. Spelling their when you mean there on a consistent basis is not the same.

JMO. Sorry about that grammar class falling through. I was looking forward to it.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
1 entry found for their.

their    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (thâr)

1 entries found for there.

there    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (thâr)

that looks to me like they sound the same?

They sure dew.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 04:16 AM)
1 entry found for their.

their    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (thâr)

1 entries found for there.

there    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (thâr)

that looks to me like they sound the same?

That would be a great response if that is what I stated or if that was my question. I never questioned what the dictionary stated. I stated that it is pronounced and said differently. I have never heard anyone pronounce those two words the same way.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 11:58 PM)
That would be a great response if that is what I stated or if that was my question. I never questioned what the dictionary stated. I stated that it is pronounced and said differently. I have never heard anyone pronounce those two words the same way.

I hear them both pronounced the same way 98.9% of the time.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 05:08 AM)
I hear them both pronounced the same way 98.9% of the time.

Is there anyone there?

Where is their report?

They sound the same when you hear it said and when you say it? I would have to disagree with your assessment. I can see if you mean they're and their, but not there and their. No way.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 12:30 AM)
Is there anyone there?

Where is their report?

They sound the same when you hear it said and when you say it? I would have to disagree with your assessment. I can see if you mean they're and their, but not there and their. No way.

I know what i hear.

Honestly though why is this here?

To be honest, I cannot hear a difference between their, there, and they're. They all sound the same to me.

But as far as this grammar and correct word usage stuff, it may come across as being picky to some of you, but it is actually sound advice. Misusing these words becomes a habit that your mind does not catch when proofreading your own text. If you regularly use there in place of their, you're not going to catch it as you reread. That can lead to mistakes in resumes, class assignments, documentation, whatever.

You are also coming across in this forum as either somewhat less than educated or, at best, sloppy. It's always preferable to put your best forward and to always try and live up that standard. That also becomes habit, and one that will pay off in the long run.

In addition to they're, there and their ... here are a few more examples of words that are commonly interchanged.

our and are

then and than

whether and weather

waist and waste

your and you're

I have seen (scene?) these type of mistakes in write(right?) ups on FutureSox and Chicago Sports Report. These are reports that people put a lot of time and effort into, and try to do a very thorough job, and yet they miss these simple grammatical errors because they regularly misuse these words. It really does make a difference.

Editted to add: I just saw another one somewhere on the board (bored?).

aloud and allowed

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 07:13 PM)
Seriously[,] who gives a s***[.]

What[']s worse is[,] people who point out other[']s grammar mistakes on a message board[.] Calm [d]own[,] Mavis Beacon[.]

D+

See me after class.

:stupid :P :cheers

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(Tannerfan @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)
Having watched Singo get credit for two saves by only getting one out in each game, I was thinking it would be fair to divide saves into thirds, based on the last inning pitched. Under this system Marte would have earned 2/3's of a save and Shingo 1/3rd. Am I crazy or is there any merit to this idea?

I wish to un-hijack (or re-hijack) this thread.

I can almost agree that the idea of Shingo getting a save for throwing one pitch in a three-run victory is stupid. But how about the rules for wins?

Let's say that on a pleasant May evening at the Cell, El Duque goes eight shutout innings against Brad Radke, who gives up a two-run shot in the bottom of the first and a solo shot in the sixth. Shingo comes in and is ineffective, giving up three in the top of the ninth. Frank, in his third game back, hits Rincon's first offering into the left field bleachers. Shingo gets the win.

Shingo deserves the save in Tannerfan's examples a hell of a lot more than he deserves the win in mine, yet fans will complain about his scenario a lot more than mine. Why is this true? Because the concept of wins has been around 75 years longer than the concept of saves?

Discuss.

Edited by Mplssoxfan

The rules are what the rules are. Sometimes, there doesn't seem to be proper justification for the awarding of wins and saves. Perhaps three members of the press corps should be appointed before the game to decide when a scenario as mentioned above occurs. Two "home" beat writers and one "away" beat writer should be doable.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 12:28 AM)
To be honest, I cannot hear a difference between their, there, and they're.  They all sound the same to me.

But as far as this grammar and correct word usage stuff, it may come across as being picky to some of you, but it is actually sound advice.  Misusing these words becomes a habit that your mind does not catch when proofreading your own text.  If you regularly use there in place of their, you're not going to catch it as you reread.  That can lead to mistakes in resumes, class assignments, documentation, whatever. 

You are also coming across in this forum as either somewhat less than educated or, at best, sloppy.  It's always preferable to put your best forward and to always try and live up that standard.  That also becomes habit, and one that will pay off in the long run. 

In addition to they're, there and their ... here are a few more examples of words that are commonly interchanged.

our and are

then and than

whether and weather

waist and waste

your and you're

I have seen (scene?) these type of mistakes in write(right?) ups on FutureSox and Chicago Sports Report.  These are reports that people put a lot of time and effort into, and try to do a very thorough job, and yet they miss these simple grammatical errors because they regularly misuse these words.  It really does make a difference.

Editted to add:  I just saw another one somewhere on the board (bored?).

aloud and allowed

Great post!

P.S. That was me (aloud) - Oops! :ph34r:

southsideirish, your concern for Standard Written English (or, if you prefer, Standard White English) is cute, but i promise it'll survive soxfan101's assault.

yasny's advice is sound from the standpoint of forming good habits, but the bottom line's that this is a casual forum, so nitpicking peeps' usage is kinda silly. and yes, harping on homophones is nitpicking.

QUOTE(False Alarm @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 10:07 AM)
southsideirish, your concern for Standard Written English (or, if you prefer, Standard White English) is cute, but i promise it'll survive soxfan101's assault.

yasny's advice is sound from the standpoint of forming good habits, but the bottom line's that this is a casual forum, so nitpicking peeps' usage is kinda silly. and yes, harping on homophones is nitpicking.

You got a problem with homophones? :lolhitting

QUOTE(Tmar28 @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)
haha this is kind of related so i figure i'll post it. http://encarta.msn.com/quiz_36/How_Well_Ca...l.html?GT1=6428

i recieved a 13 out of 15.

I got 8/15

but most of the words I missed are words that I dont even know if I have ever used in actually writing..

either way, I know sometimes I make mistakes when im typing even if its right in my head.. it just happens sometimes..

I agree that on a sports website like this, people should not nitpick so much. It is dumb, since everyone makes mistakes. In my case, I usually do not like to do what I am doing now in trying to make sure my grammar is correct. I like to get my point across however I want. I do agree that their is sometimes pronounced like they're and not always like there. It depends on the person and probably sometimes the rest of the sentence.

QUOTE(False Alarm @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)

This whole post made absolutely no sense. I didn't know that this was a racial issue.

I believe YASNY made a great point. In order to form good habits you must continue to use those habits everywhere. Another poster also made a very good point. If you want to post like a 5 year old and use their instead of there then that is going make the reader form an opinion on the statement you are trying to make. No one will take what you say as anything meaningful if you want to post like a 5 year old. Nor will others take whatever you have to post seriously. I don't consider telling someone they are using their and there wrongly as nitpicking. It is not a typo and it is not standard white english. I believe every race uses their and there the same way and no one uses it the way soxfan101 did or does.