Mike Lowell

southsideirish

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 26, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
Crede = Lowell (take into effect age, defense, current struggles and contract)

Chavez >>>> Crede (take into effect the fact that Chavez is better than Crede in everyway except contract.)

Thank you for making some sense.

I would fire in that Chavez >> Crede, if you exclude the fact that we'd have to give up a ton (BMac) to get him, and his contract would be I think the biggest one on our squad right now (look how well spreading the wealth around has worked for us this year.)

My equations would go something like this

Crede + Anderson + BMac >>> Lowell

Crede + Anderson + BMac > Chavez

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF is up with 3Bman everywhere this year?

Chavez, Lowell, Ramirez, and Beltre are all having very down years, and I'm sure I'm missing one or two others too...didn't Rolen start out not so hawt, but started coming around only to then land on the DL?

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ May 26, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
I want Morgan Ensberg

He sure is doing well for the Astros this year. When Rolen went down with his shoulder injury I scouted all the available 3b to fill his spot and elected Ensberg. I had him on my squad when he had that 3HR game a couple weeks back. He's been pretty solid offensively but I'm not sure how his defense is.

Anyone know his contract status? If the Astros do have a fire sale and he's available he might be a nice addition.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 26, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
I can understand that argument.  I see both sides of this issue very well.

Why f*** with something that has worked so well?  The offense has not been great, but whatever is working, is working.  And then if you do make the trade I suggested above, you may have to make another trade then too...trying to fix something that is working awesome can sometimes cause for breakage.

In the end, I probably would make not move...but it is intriguing to think about, nonetheless.

If it's not Chavez, then no 3B please. Randa and Lowell appear to be the alternatives, as well as Castilla, and all of those have obvious downers consisting of age, contract status, etc.

However, by acquiring a Chavez-type, KW wouldn't be trying to "fix" anything. He would be trying to IMPROVE the team. Just because something is working well, does not mean it can't work better. Simply substituting Chavez for Crede is an tremendous upgrade. There is no downside to that. Hopefully KW goes after Chavez and Chavez only. No one else at the hot corner, please.

QUOTE(BuehrleTheAce @ May 26, 2005 -> 09:24 PM)
He sure is doing well for the Astros this year. When Rolen went down with his shoulder injury I scouted all the available 3b to fill his spot and elected Ensberg. I had him on my squad when he had that 3HR game a couple weeks back. He's been pretty solid offensively but I'm not sure how his defense is.

Anyone know his contract status? If the Astros do have a fire sale and he's available he might be a nice addition.

He is not even arbitration eligible yet, in other words he is not going anywhere.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 26, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)
I understand the want for more offense, especially when we dont score a ton of runs, and we are used to it by now.  But I think this infield, especially the left side, works well together and I think Crede's range is better than many think.  He is a great player defensively and Uribe and Crede work well to establish a great defensive front.  I wouldnt want to weaken the defense on an already defensively-dependent team.

I think Crede is a better glove man than Lowell. No offense to Chisoxfan, but I think he is wrong with his analysis.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ May 27, 2005 -> 07:12 AM)
Ozzie has to be an expert on how good Lowell is, compared to Crede. If we got him, you could be sure that it was because Ozzie blessed the move.

I'd go after Chavez, even if it meant (gulp) trading BMac.

I hadn't thought about Ozzie's relationship with Lowell. That might be a huge factor.

Anyone know our realistic chances of getting Todd Helton or Adam Dunn?

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ May 26, 2005 -> 08:50 PM)
I doubt the Marlins will be trading him.  They're in first place and they'll have to be blown away by a package.  He just signed a big contract with them, too.

Unless they plan on moving Cabrera back to third, I don't think he's going anywhere.

So then you are calling Sports Weekly a liar? Just wanted to make sure here. You don't think a first place team would trade a high priced 31 year old player that is hitting .208, 2 HRs, 18 RBI, 17 Runs in 149 ABs? Hmmm.....

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 26, 2005 -> 09:58 PM)
So we have a guy at 3b who is struggling and who we hope will find a way to hit better, and we want to replace him with a guy at 3b who is struggling and we can hope will find a way to hit better, except the replacement costs more and isn't as good on defense.

I can understand people wanting to upgrade to Chavez, simply for the glove.  But why are people so desperate to trade 1 struggling hitter for another one, especially given how important clubhouse chemistry can be to a ballclub?

The differnce between Mike Lowell and Crede is significant. Crede has never proven consistently that he can hit major league pitching. Mike Lowell has. I find it hard to believe that you would have to give up much to get Mike Lowell at this point. Believing that Mike Lowell will come out of his slump and start to produce is much more realistic than believing Crede will. How much worse is Lowell really at defense than Crede? As someone else brought up, Crede is not a gold glover himself.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ May 27, 2005 -> 05:12 AM)
I'd go after Chavez, even if it meant (gulp) trading BMac.

If McCarthy is for real, I would not make that trade. After tonight we'll have a better idea of McCarty's potential, but a solid starting pitcher is worth more than a third base upgrade, at this point anyway.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 27, 2005 -> 08:04 AM)
Anyone know our realistic chances of getting Todd Helton or Adam Dunn?

I don't know about Dunn, but Helton has about $100 million left on his contract, so I'd say the chances of Kenny trading for him are slim and none.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ May 26, 2005 -> 08:34 PM)
Eric Chavez.

Agreed. Adding Chavez can boost us to the playoffs and can help make us a playoff contender for years to come. Similar to when the Cardinals added Scott Rolen in 2000 I believe? Anyways- if we get rid of Crede and add a new 3B Chavez would be my 1st choice. I would also consider Blalock.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ May 27, 2005 -> 12:29 PM)
Agreed. Adding Chavez can boost us to the playoffs and can help make us a playoff contender for years to come. Similar to when the Cardinals added Scott Rolen in 2000 I believe? Anyways- if we get rid of Crede and add a new 3B Chavez would be my 1st choice. I would also consider Blalock.

I think adding Chavez would be doing the exact opposite of what has been so successful for us this season.

In the offseason, we got rid of 3 very-high-salary guys (Lee, Valentin, Ordonez), and we spread that money around to pay for guys like Hernandez, Pierzynski, Pods, Iguchi, Rowand, Dye, and Hermanson.

Adding Chavez is a step back in the opposite direction. Last year, Lee, Valentin, Ordonez, and Konerko absorbed something like 40% of the Sox salary. No other team in baseball poured such a high percentage of its total salary into 4 people. Not one, not the Yankees, not the Red Sox, not the Cards with Pujols and Rolen, no one at all.

By subtracting the big salary guys, we were able to fill in the pretty large gaps we had around them, like the 5th starter spot, 2nd base, the bench, the bullpen, and catcher. Right now, we're reaping the benefits of that decision.

If we were to Add Chavez, he would instantly become the 2nd highest paid player on our roster this season, and he would be in a position to be the highest paid one on it the next few seasons (depending on what Konerko and Thomas do). This is a step in the wrong direction. It's a step back towards less flexibility in the off season, and a step back towards where we were last year.

I don't care how good he is...he fits perfectly into a formula that doesn't work.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 27, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
I think adding Chavez would be doing the exact opposite of what has been so successful for us this season.

In the offseason, we got rid of 3 very-high-salary guys (Lee, Valentin, Ordonez), and we spread that money around to pay for guys like Hernandez, Pierzynski, Pods, Iguchi, Rowand, Dye, and Hermanson.

Adding Chavez is a step back in the opposite direction.  Last year, Lee, Valentin, Ordonez, and Konerko absorbed something like 40% of the Sox salary.  No other team in baseball poured such a high percentage of its total salary into 4 people.  Not one, not the Yankees, not the Red Sox, not the Cards with Pujols and Rolen, no one at all.

By subtracting the big salary guys, we were able to fill in the pretty large gaps we had around them, like the 5th starter spot, 2nd base, the bench, the bullpen, and catcher.  Right now, we're reaping the benefits of that decision.

If we were to Add Chavez, he would instantly become the 2nd highest paid player on our roster this season, and he would be in a position to be the highest paid one on it the next few seasons (depending on what Konerko and Thomas do).  This is a step in the wrong direction.  It's a step back towards less flexibility in the off season, and a step back towards where we were last year.

I don't care how good he is...he fits perfectly into a formula that doesn't work.

Except almost all the team is under contract at least through 2007. With Anderson/Sweeney (1 probably in the trade for Chavez) and McCarthy waiting to step in as 2 very cheap and solid replacements for Dye and Contreras, attendence on the rise, and JR saying before the season there is still money available to spend, there is good reason to believe that Chavez can be added to this team with no subtractions.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(sircaffey @ May 27, 2005 -> 06:54 PM)
Except almost all the team is under contract at least through 2007.  With Anderson and McCarthy waiting to step in as 2 very cheap and solid replacements for Dye and Contreras, attendence on the rise, and JR saying before the season there is still money available to spend, there is good reason to believe that Chavez can be added to this team with no subtractions.

About your signature...

1. Podsednik LF L

2. Iguchi 2B R

3. Thomas DH R

4. Chavez 3B L

5. Konerko 1B R

6. Rowand CF R

7. Pierzynski C L

8. Dye RF R

9. Uribe SS R

Thomas in the three hole, Chavez cleaing up a la when Tejada batted third in OAK, Konerko is better suited for the fifth hole too.

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ May 27, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
About your signature...

1. Podsednik LF L

2. Iguchi 2B R

3. Thomas DH R

4. Chavez 3B L

5. Konerko 1B R

6. Rowand CF R

7. Pierzynski C L

8. Dye RF R

9. Uribe SS R

Thomas in the three hole, Chavez cleaing up a la when Tejada batted third in OAK, Konerko is better suited for the fifth hole too.

Eyy...I question Frank abilities at the current moment. If he hits like pre-injury 2004, then 3 hole, if not 5 hole. Konerko is the RBI guy on the team. Needs to be 4th. Chavez draws walks and is a better hitter than Frank. I could really care less how those 3 are situated, just as long as those 3 are on the team.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ May 27, 2005 -> 07:11 PM)
Eyy...I question Frank abilities at the current moment.  If he hits like pre-injury 2004, then 3 hole, if not 5 hole.  Konerko is the RBI guy on the team.  Needs to be 4th.  Chavez draws walks and is a better hitter than Frank.  I could really care less how those 3 are situated, just as long as those 3 are on the team.

I would love all three on this team too, I just think it fits better that way. JMHO though.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ May 27, 2005 -> 03:59 PM)
I don't know about Dunn, but Helton has about $100 million left on his contract, so I'd say the chances of Kenny trading for him are slim and none.

There's a big thread over at WSI about trading for Helton.

I believe Helton's contract calls for something like $10-12 million per year, with something like $100 million on it. If you could get Colorado to pay something like $3 million a year for the rest of the contract, you could send back a package centered around Konerko (a year or two younger than Helton, IIRC), as well as an arm like Tracey.

Helton isn't just a Coors Field guy, and you know that Kenny isn't looking for a guy that might help us win the division. He's gonna find the guy who's gonna help us win a title.