Sox @ Rangers -- 5/29/05

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JimH
I know it seems unrealistic...  But I bet Williams is looking to Colorado at Helton.  And yes, I know the contract structure.  Kenny isn't a stupid man, he's definitely looking to upgrade 1B and 3B, especially if the duo there continue to be absolutely dismal offensively.

Keith, he is always looking to upgrade, that's one thing I like about him, he works his ass off.

He makes mistakes, all GM's do, and some of his have been bad ones. But he lives and dies with this stuff way worse than we do, and I like that too. He bleeds White Sox.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 29, 2005 -> 06:56 PM)
Helton's not a reasonable option.  He's also having a terrible year (for him), and it's likely teams with bigger pockets will go after him.

If Kenny thinks that a bat like Helton can put us over the top, he's going to go for him, regardless of his contract.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 29, 2005 -> 06:58 PM)
If Kenny thinks that a bat like Helton can put us over the top, he's going to go for him, regardless of his contract.

Says who? It's one thing to make a deal for someone who has a big contract for the rest of the season. It's another thing to make a deal for someone who's still owed tens of millions of dollars. With that in mind, we're better off keeping PK for the rest of the year instead of being stuck with Helton's huge contract.

AJ!!!!! :headbang

And fathom, don't tell me that Kenny can't or won't do something (for better or for worse). We would have had one of Carlos Delgado or Larry Walker had either wanted to come here. Helton, Coors Field or not, is one of the best hitters in all of baseball. Obviously, money would have to come to us, but I'm almost 100% he's looking at Helton.

You say "stuck" like it's a bad thing. Helton isn't a guy who puts up good numbers just 'cause he's at Coors. He is an elite hitter, probably top ten.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(JimH @ May 29, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
Can somebody keep us updated on the Twins-Blue Jays game, any volunteers, ok Jabroni you're elected   :D

Ya, i will. Bottom 8, 3-0 Jays with runner on 3rd one down

Edited by Tadahito15

Guest JimH
AJ!!!!!  :headbang

And fathom, don't tell me that Kenny can't or won't do something (for better or for worse).  We would have had one of Carlos Delgado or Larry Walker had either wanted to come here.  Helton, Coors Field or not, is one of the best hitters in all of baseball.  Obviously, money would have to come to us, but I'm almost 100% he's looking at Helton.

Nothing would surprise me, not with Williams.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 29, 2005 -> 07:01 PM)
AJ!!!!!  :headbang

And fathom, don't tell me that Kenny can't or won't do something (for better or for worse).  We would have had one of Carlos Delgado or Larry Walker had either wanted to come here.  Helton, Coors Field or not, is one of the best hitters in all of baseball.  Obviously, money would have to come to us, but I'm almost 100% he's looking at Helton.

Well, Delgado was a FA after the season, so there was no worry about his contract. As for Walker....the Rockies were willing to pick up a huge portion of his salary in a trade. The Rockies have already said they won't pick up any of Helton's contract if he's traded.

Guest JimH
I was in the other room and all of a sudden I hear, "UH OH!" And than run to see the ball land in the upper deck.

Brian, who's that in the avatar, Aguilera? Love that caboose.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 29, 2005 -> 07:03 PM)
Well, Delgado was a FA after the season, so there was no worry about his contract.  As for Walker....the Rockies were willing to pick up a huge portion of his salary in a trade.  The Rockies have already said they won't pick up any of Helton's contract if he's traded.

I didn't hear that.

I believe you, but do you got an article link to where they said it? Because, I'm not suggesting the Sox pick up the whole contract. They've picked up a big portion of the salary before, with Walker and Hampton, no reason to think they won't do it again -- IMO.