Sox @ Rangers -- 5/29/05

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ May 29, 2005 -> 07:09 PM)
Yes, I heard some of the same stuff in Tucson.  As bad as the Rockies are, they love Helton, he's the face of their franchise.  They'd have to be bowled over and blown away to trade him and at least for now I also heard they do not want to pick up any of his salary, they've taken a lot of heat for doing that.

Yuck. If that's the case, then ya can't pick up a contract that big without some help from the team sending him over.

But, if they were willing to pick up some of the contract, I'd start with a package of Konerko/Tracey. Hell, I wouldn't object to giving up someone like Josh Fields (yes, the first round pick) for Helton, if they ate a lot of it...

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 29, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
f*** me, f*** me in the goatass!  I go to take a shower and I miss the end of corpseball!

Who are you kidding you dont shower.

It was nice man, Crede hit the ball the other way with power.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 29, 2005 -> 07:11 PM)
Yuck.  If that's the case, then ya can't pick up a contract that big without some help from the team sending him over.

But, if they were willing to pick up some of the contract, I'd start with a package of Konerko/Tracey.  Hell, I wouldn't object to giving up someone like Josh Fields (yes, the first round pick) for Helton, if they ate a lot of it...

Rockies have Ian Stewart as their 3rd baseman of the future. There's no comparison between him and Fields. If we get someone as top-notch as Helton, we're going to have to say goodbye to 2 of the 3: McCarthy, Anderson, Sweeney. Remember how much we gave up for Garcia last year?

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 29, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
Look they actually did something smart.  They are going with the pitches instead of just pulling everything.  If they keep this up Chan Ho will start to go in and then they can pull the f***ing thing for power. 

Impressive ABs by both Uribe and Crede.

Its about time they did that. I'm so sick of seeing those pitches on the outer half getting pulled to short.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 29, 2005 -> 07:13 PM)
Rockies have Ian Spencer as their 3rd baseman of the future.  There's no comparison between him and Fields.  If we get someone as top-notch as Helton, we're going to have to say goodbye to 2 of the 3:  McCarthy, Anderson, Sweeney.  Remember how much we gave up for Garcia last year?

The package for Garcia wasn't huge, and it looks a lot better now that Olivo has been absolutely atrocious in Seattle. Reed was the only top-notch guy we gave up, as Morse was viewed (by some here) as a guy that was still developing and still, might have to make the move to a different position.

They could always move Fields to first, too. I think Konerko/Fields would be a good start...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 29, 2005 -> 07:15 PM)
The package for Garcia wasn't huge, and it looks a lot better now that Olivo has been absolutely atrocious in Seattle.  Reed was the only top-notch guy we gave up, as Morse was viewed (by some here) as a guy that was still developing and still, might have to make the move to a different position.

In retrospect, the trade wasn't that much to give up. However, at the time, it was almost a consensus opinion that we gave up a ton of talent to get Garcia.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 29, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)
The package for Garcia wasn't huge, and it looks a lot better now that Olivo has been absolutely atrocious in Seattle.  Reed was the only top-notch guy we gave up, as Morse was viewed (by some here) as a guy that was still developing and still, might have to make the move to a different position.

They could always move Fields to first, too.  I think Konerko/Fields would be a good start...

I still don't understand why they would trade for a player that is a free agent at the end of the year. They want top notch prospects ( major league ready) in return for helton. Not the paul konerko's of the world.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 29, 2005 -> 07:16 PM)
In retrospect, the trade wasn't that much to give up.  However, at the time, it was almost a consensus opinion that we gave up a ton of talent to get Garcia.

Good point.

Helton or not, if Konerko doesn't produce, Kenny isn't just going to say, "well, he's been here for a while and he's sort of a face on this franchise so we're going to live through his suckiness". Aubrey Huff could be an option. I doubt they'd go young at first with a guy like Ryan Howard... Or, they could trade for an OF'er and move Jermaine Dye to first. There's a lot of options, and I'm sure Kenny is looking at every "available" player.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 29, 2005 -> 07:19 PM)
Good point.

Helton or not, if Konerko doesn't produce, Kenny isn't just going to say, "well, he's been here for a while and he's sort of a face on this franchise so we're going to live through his suckiness".  Aubrey Huff could be an option.  I doubt they'd go young at first with a guy like Ryan Howard...  Or, they could trade for an OF'er and move Jermaine Dye to first.  There's a lot of options, and I'm sure Kenny is looking at every "available" player.

If Konerko sucks it up, Gload will be given every chance to win the 1b job. As much as PK has struggled this year, he's honestly the least of our offensive troubles. 3rd base is a much bigger concern. I'm sure Ozzie thinks Timo can play 1b if need be.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 29, 2005 -> 07:18 PM)
I still don't understand why they would trade for a player that is a free agent at the end of the year. They want top notch prospects ( major league ready) in return for helton. Not the paul konerko's of the world.

Isn't Konerko a year or two younger than Helton?

I'm just saying, involving Konerko would make the trade look better for the PR aspects of Colorado. Plus, he's not "that" bad of a player, either.

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't balk at a deal that started with Tracey/Fields...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 29, 2005 -> 07:22 PM)
Isn't Konerko a year or two younger than Helton?

I'm just saying, involving Konerko would make the trade look better for the PR aspects of Colorado.  Plus, he's not "that" bad of a player, either.

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't balk at a deal that started with Tracey/Fields...

PK's a FA at the end of this year! That's why he's not exactly a hot commodity for any team looking to rebuild. Also, Field is going to have to start to produce a little more in the minors before he has a lot of trade value. He's not exactly lighting up the minors.