*Official* Eric Chavez Speculation/Dream Thread

GreatScott82

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
I think most people around here think it would be one of Anderson or Bmac and another prospect in the top ten. One position player, one pitcher + Crede. For a guy of Chavez's caliber, locked up for four more years, top talent would need to be traded.

Also, Chavez would be a good long term fit to go along with the sox young guys--Rowand, Uribe, and guys who may stay on a few more yrs--Pods, AJ, Iguchi. Chavez wouldn't just be a short term fix but part of the sox long term plans as well

Agreed totally. Even if it takes one of our premier OF's in the minors, we know that there is going to be only one available spot for them anyway, either Anderson or Sweeney is going to make it up, the other will be stuck behind Rowand and SPODS, both of them we wont get rid of. So whatever it takes to get this done, I am behind it, not only for this year, but for the future as well, considering we have jack s*** for 3B prospects right now (fields doesnt have the numbers Crede did and isnt a good fielder) this would fit our system.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)
BTW, his "raw numbers" are better than our 1B who is getting the same money right now, and who will probably command more going forward without the benefits of the gold glove, this would be a great deal.

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

The Sox have $8.75 million to pay Konerko this season.

I have already said that I don't want Konerko back next year.

Are Chavez's numbers more impressive than Konerko's to warrant him to be paid $3-4 million more than Konerko for the next three years? I certainly don't think so.

As for your minor leaguers comments, I'm not saying they are locks to pan out, but why use your best ones to aquire a fat contract? :huh:

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)
:banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead

Are Chavez's numbers more impressive than Konerko's to warrant him to be paid $3-4 million more than Konerko for the next three years? I certainly don't think so.

As for your minor leaguers comments, I'm not saying they are locks to pan out, but why use your best ones to aquire a fat contract?  :huh:

I think 11 and 12 million dollars will not be outrageous for a player of Chavez's calibur in the years '08,'09, and '10 considering the inflation this league has witnessed.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)
Agreed totally.  Even if it takes one of our premier OF's in the minors, we know that there is going to be only one available spot for them anyway, either Anderson or Sweeney is going to make it up, the other will be stuck behind Rowand and SPODS, both  of them we wont get rid of.  So whatever it takes to get this done, I am behind it, not only for this year, but for the future as well, considering we have jack s*** for 3B prospects right now (fields doesnt have the numbers Crede did and isnt a good fielder) this would fit our system.

I agree it will cost either Sweeney or BA. I am fine with giving up one of those guys and Crede and maybe a guy like Tracey.

I do not want to give up Gio or Bmac. Both of those have too high of ceilings as SP. We have two aging cubans that will need to be replaced in the future 2006/2007. We have OF prospecs up the ying yang. We have Jenks now which makes Tracey expedable.

I am not saying make the trade, I am just saying make it understanding that he is having a bad year and it wont cost us the farm 100%.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 05:26 PM)
Our BA is bad against righties because most of them throw our righties away and they are incapable of not pulling the outside pitch.

Over most sox starters careers [with the exception of Everett] I think you'll find they have hit better vs LHP than RHP. FWIW, Maggs and Lee hit RHP and LHP equally well in years past.

My biggest point was that Chavez would be a great improvement over Crede, esp. vs RHP--the type of pitchers the sox face the most [they have near 1200 ab's vs RHP and about 410 vs LHP]. The need is there this year. And it makes sense to try and improve in an area of need.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
I agree it will cost either Sweeney or BA.  I am fine with giving up one of those guys and Crede and  maybe a guy like Tracey.

I do not want to give up Gio or Bmac.  Both of those have too high of ceilings as SP.  We have two aging cubans that will need to be replaced in the future 2006/2007.  We have OF prospecs up the ying yang.  We have Jenks now which makes Tracey expedable.

I am not saying make the trade, I am just saying make it understanding that he is having a bad year and it wont cost us the farm 100%.

:cheers :notworthy :usa :gosox1:

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:37 AM)
:banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead

Konerko will make more money in the FA market than Chavez's contract. Take a look at what the power hitting 1B got this year. Look at what Beltre and Glaus signed for in the offseason. I think Chavez's contract is almost a bargain, if not totally respectable for us. And yes, Chavez's hitting is better than Konerko's so on that alone, yes he deserves more money, if you add in his 4 gold gloves at 3B. yes he is worth more. So for your answer, yes, Chavez is worth that much.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
I guess I don't really understand the logic of adding a guy having a down year when the roster is full of guys having down years.

Because most proven vets having down years will probably rebound---Dye, PK, Everett, AJ. Chavez is a proven vet who also is likely to rebound. But unproven guys like Crede, Uribe, [even Pods and Rowand fit into this category] may not. If the Sox can get a proven young guy who has superb defense, and can hit for power and avg from the left side, the sox would have one less question mark in their everyday lineup.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
Because most proven vets having down years will probably rebound---Dye, PK, Everett, AJ. Chavez is a proven vet who also is likely to rebound. But unproven guys like Crede, Uribe, [even Pods and Rowand fit into this category] may not. If the Sox can get a proven young guy who has superb defense, and can hit for power and avg from the left side, the sox would have one less question mark in their everyday lineup.

Plus his value is a bit lower when he isnt lighting it up.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
Plus his value is a bit lower when he isnt lighting it up.

On the flipside, though, Beane could pull the trigger and deal Chavez before the deadline based on his past numbers, like Olney wrote.

If Chavez has been struggling for over 3 months, it could mean chavez is hurt or in a really bad slump, which would certainly lower his value

another factor, the earlier the trade happens the less money Oakland is on the hook for Chavez's salary this year.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
:nono

Adjusted numbers mean nothing to me.

Just give me the raw data.  Chavez is not worth a $30+ million commitment and giving up some of our top talent.

If Williams got Chavez for Mac and Crede, it would be his best move ever, hands down.

I dont know if anyone cares, but Dan Patrick will be talking Eric Chavez soon on the Dan Patrick Show on ESPN 1000. He didn't say when but I think it will be on between now and the next 30 minutes. I don't know what they will be talking about, but there might be something in their segment regarding a trade involving him.

QUOTE(sayitanitso @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
I dont know if anyone cares, but Dan Patrick will be talking Eric Chavez soon on the Dan Patrick Show on ESPN 1000.  He didn't say when but I think it will be on between now and the next 30 minutes. I don't know what they will be talking about, but there might be something in their segment regarding a trade involving him.

Im at work now, keep me updated :)

Here's some thoughts/ info from the A's mlb.com board:

------------------------------------------

To: badogg (8 of 29)

37082.8 in reply to 37082.2

Whilst one should always treat anything written by a reporter with deep suspicion there might actually be a flicker of flame behind this smoke.

Only a few weeks ago Chavy was asked if he would have signed the new contract if he's known that Huddy and Mulder were going to be traded, he said he no, he wouldn't have!

A lot of his 'body language' speak of a person who is not a happy camper, this could be just down to his horrible form, or have other causes. I think he feels betrayed by the A's, and Billy Beane in particular. Where is the power righty Billy is supposed to have promised Eric he would get?

Also bear in mind that there have been a lot of personel changes in the club over the last year or so, the 'chemistry' has inevitably changed, and I suspect Chavy no longer feels as comfortable as he would like.I also don't think he's comfortable with the 'team leader' tag others keep pinning on him, I don't think he likes or wants the role. I get the impression he's much happier being a follower than a leader.

So it wouldn't surprise me if he does want out, but do I buy the bit about him fueling the trade rumours? I wouldn't believe a reporter who told me the sky was blue, I'd immediately go outside to check!

I'll end with an old reporter sign-off

No 30 (it means story not over, more to folow)

---------------------------------------------

If he's not a "happy camper", it's more likely Beane will trade him sooner rather than later