ATO:Honel Taken Off 40-Man, All-Star Announcements

danman31

ATO: Honel Taken Off 40-Man, All-Star Announcements

Honel out righted to Birmingham

RHP Kris Honel was out righted to AA Birmingham today in what could be a set up move to allow someone else on the 40-man roster for the Sox. Either a guy like Jamie Burke or Greg Norton will be put on the 40-man in order to be the backup 1st baseman or a trade could be in the works where extra room on the 40-man was needed. The White Sox 40-man roster currently stands at 39. more...

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 05:37 PM)
ATO: Honel Taken Off 40-Man, All-Star Announcements

Honel out righted to Birmingham

RHP Kris Honel was out righted to AA Birmingham today in what could be a set up move to allow someone else on the 40-man roster for the Sox. Either a guy like Jamie Burke or Greg Norton will be put on the 40-man in order to be the backup 1st baseman or a trade could be in the works where extra room on the 40-man was needed. The White Sox 40-man roster currently stands at 39. more...

I woudnt be surprised if KW has a trade in the works. He always does stuff early.

I wouldn't understand bringing up Norton. He adds nothing. He pinch hit decently 2 years ago, but sucked last year. He is brutal in the field. He doesn't run well. I wouldn't understand bringing up Burke either. When's Burke going to play? It seems thirdbase is the hot spot right now. Do you really want either of these 2 to play there?

I wouldn't understand bringing up Norton. He adds nothing. He pinch hit decently 2 years ago, but sucked last year. He is brutal in the field. He doesn't run well. I wouldn't understand bringing up Burke either. When's Burke going to play? It seems thirdbase is the hot spot right now. Do you really want either of these 2 to play there?

Yep, the problem is that we need someone who can play 1st and 3rd base. Norton can play both positions but he is a butcher at 3rd. I wouldn't trust Burke there either. Maybe a trade is coming? :huh

I'm not sure if I am thinking straight, but as of late the Knights hae been putting Burke at 3rd more and more and opting to let Casanova catch. Of course, if Burke was to be called up, it'd be interesting to see who'd be catching for the Knights. Casanova can't do it every night, so possibly Davis would come off the DL or Rosa would be called back up. I don't see Aceves or Stewart being promoted to AAA, just because.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 07:56 PM)
Yep, the problem is that we need someone who can play 1st and 3rd base.  Norton can play both positions but he is a butcher at 3rd.  I wouldn't trust Burke there either.  Maybe a trade is coming? :huh

He's no Mike Squires on first either. When Charlotte came to Ottawa, I saw him screw up 2 tailor made double plays as the first baseman with his slow release, 'chicken wing' delivery.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 12:13 AM)
The White Sox's 40-man roster stands at 39 after they outrighted RHP Kris Honel to Double-A Birmingham.

Maybe something is abrewing.  Or it gives us flexibility for something later.

look under futuresox forum.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Open space: Although a corresponding move does not appear to be imminent, the White Sox created a spot on their 40-man roster by outrighting pitcher Kris Honel to Class AA Birmingham. That move leaves the roster at 39.

General manager Ken Williams said the decision was aimed at roster flexibility, so a player won't have to be hastily removed if someone is acquired. But it also allows Honel to build up arm strength and not try to rush back to the form he exhibited after being selected in the first round of the 2001 First-Year Player Draft.

Honel, 22, quickly ascended through the White Sox system after his selection at 16th overall, posting a 9-7 record with a 3.11 earned run average for Class A Winston-Salem in 2003, with 122 strikeouts in 133 innings. Honel would have been a candidate for the fifth starter's spot last season, if not for elbow problems that limited him to three games for Double A Birmingham and one with Bristol.

In eight games and five starts for the Barons this year, Honel has a 1-3 record with a 7.55 ERA. He has fanned 20 and walked 23 in 31 innings, allowing 40 hits.

"As I told [Honel], he's building strength right now," Williams said. "Right now, he's just getting to where he was before, as a starting pitcher.

"I don't want this to shake his confidence," Williams added.

Of course Honel was just starting to get his velocity back (BHam said he back up to 90 on his fastball in his last start). If he does get back to his 01-02 form, will the Sox put him back on the 40 man, or could another team claim him e.g Ryan Wing, or even take him in the Rule 5 draft?