McCarthy

mr_genius

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)
Dye's defense has been nothing but disappointing all season.  I'm pretty confident in saying that Ordonez would have made Teahan's blooper look like a pretty routine, difficult catch with his little knee-first slide he used to do.  If you watch the replay, that ball landed underneath Dye, not in front of him.  Thankfully, Dye has been sensational at the plate lately.  He sure has the ability to make the Cell look small when he bats.

I feel Dye is an above average right fielder, and feel he has done a good job for us out there. Other than the missed catch in Oakland, and not hitting the cutoff man early in the season... I like what I have seen.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 04:32 AM)
I feel Dye is an above average right fielder, and feel he has done a good job for us out there.  Other than the missed catch in Oakland, and not hitting the cutoff man early in the season... I like what I have seen.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I must say, I respectfully disagree with your analysis of Dye in the outfield. He has no range, has struggled throwing the ball this season, and doesn't seem to have good instincts in the outfield. Thankfully, Rowand is a good outfielder, but he's surrounded by some very overrated defensive players in LF and RF.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 10:39 PM)
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I must say, I respectfully disagree with your analysis of Dye in the outfield.  He has no range, has struggled throwing the ball this season, and doesn't seem to have good instincts in the outfield.  Thankfully, Rowand is a good outfielder, but he's surrounded by some very overrated defensive players in LF and RF.

Rowand > Dye> Podsednik

Understand McCarthy supporters, it's more than control which is ailing our top pitching prospect. He needs better stuff--period.

In past starts Brandon couldn't throw his changeup for a strike. Tonight, his curveball (best pitch) couldn't find the plate. What's left besides a straight 91 mph fastball? I don't care how well you locate a fastball, especially one without movement, it means s*** unless there's other supplimentary pitches to throw off hitters.

He needs to develop a changeup. It's really that simple. I don't believe suggestions of learning to "keep the ball down in the zone." How exactly is that something you can work on without tweaking his delivery? Either you have the ability to pitch down in the zone or you don't. When I've seen McCarthy hit his zone, which he has done well, it's been murdered. No one is fooled with McCarthy. And yes, I noticed Dye misjudged a fly ball, which added 2 ER to his line; but it was obvious aside from that moment he was not pitching well.

This is exactly why I become frustrated with our minor league pitching. No one ever delivers on their supposed talent--it's always some pitcher with some noticeable flaw that needs correcting. Anyone else aware it's been 5 years since our system has produced a pitcher who has contributed to our team? That's just ridiculous. Even a Sergio Mitre would be a welcome addition. Atleast he's strung together consecutive quality outtings. Something which, apparently, is impossible with our collection of Felix Diaz clones.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

When you strike out 81 and walk 18 at AAA you obviously have stuff.

11.39 K's/9 ain't to bad either.

The kids what 21/22? He could use the rest of this year in the minors to get some seasoning. He's not ready and it's not his fault he was put into a situation he wasn't ready for.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 12:31 AM)
When you strike out 81 and walk 18 at AAA you obviously have stuff.

11.39 K's/9 ain't to bad either.

The kids what 21/22?  He could use the rest of this year in the minors to get some seasoning.  He's not ready and it's not his fault he was put into a situation he wasn't ready for.

Agreed he need to gain some confidence in the minors.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 11:33 PM)
Agreed he need to gain some confidence in the minors.

He needs to develop his changeup.

No confidence building exercises with Matt Foley, no "working down in the zone" baseball rhetoric either.

However, if he never does find that changeup or velocity, he could be a welcomed addition to the bullpen.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 12:36 AM)
He needs to develop his changeup.

No confidence building exercises with Matt Foley, no "working down in the zone" baseball rhetoric either.

However, if he never does find that changeup or velocity, he could be a welcomed addition to the bullpen.

The minors would help him find that changeup.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
The minors would help him find that changeup.

I agree.

From this point on, I hope no one attaches "phenom" infront of his name, or any other future prospect, until he atleast wins 1 game in the majors.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 12:41 AM)
I agree.

From this point on, I hope no one attaches "phenom" infront of his name, or any other future prospect, until he atleast wins 1 game in the majors.

He is going to be a good future pitcher.

He just isnt ready right now.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 12:41 AM)

Why is that?

Is the difference between being a phenom and not being one really a gopher ball thrown by Luis Vizcaino?

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 11:42 PM)
He is going to be a good future pitcher.

He just isnt ready right now.

I hope so. I remember in spring training watching a poised pitcher locating his changeup, fastball, and curveball at ease. HItters were chasing McCarthy's high fastball and buckling under his curveball. Where's that pitcher gone?

He better get ready soon, because he'll be on this club in September.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 11:43 PM)
Why is that?

Is the difference between being a phenom and not being one really a gopher ball thrown by Luis Vizcaino?

That pitch didn't define his outting. There's no telling how well he would have faired if Ozzie would have left him in the game. I didn't merely look at his final pitching lines to determine whether or not "phenom" was approrpriate in describing McCarthy. In his start, there were hard hit outs recorded the entire 5 innings he pitched. He was locating his fastball and curveball well, but it was obvious in the 4th inning Cub hitters were catching up.

I held criticism aside until his start in Texas. You may suggest their lineup could make any pitcher look like AAA fodder, but again, he just wasn't fooling these hitters. Today's start against a lineup of minor leaguers only proves he needs work.

All I've learned about the collection of these two terms: "phenom" with "Chicago White Sox" is the concept of waiting. Regardless of how well Giovanny piches from this point on, and how many people believe he's the next Zito, I'll hold myself from expecting something special. And by something special, I mean Sergio Mitre "special." Have to set realistic standards.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

McCarthy looks like he has a good curveball. But I also saw that he has a straight 91 MPH fastball with no movement whatsoever. That pitch will get killed in the big leagues.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 02:07 AM)
McCarthy looks like he has a good curveball.  But I also saw that he has a straight 91 MPH fastball with no movement whatsoever.  That pitch will get killed in the big leagues.

When McCarthy isnt getting the changeup over the plate consistently, like tonight....guys are gonna let that curveball go, and sit on deadred Koch-esque fastballs.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 12:07 AM)
McCarthy looks like he has a good curveball.  But I also saw that he has a straight 91 MPH fastball with no movement whatsoever.  That pitch will get killed in the big leagues.

Which is exactly why it doesn't matter whether or not he can pinpoint where he throws this fastball. Starters with wwo pitches, one good/one mediocre, won't go far in this league unless they're both capable of striking you out. Ben Sheets can throw a straight 96 mph fastball because his curveball is devastating. McCarthy, similar in repetoire, obviously can't.

Either McCarthy works intently on his changeup or prepares himself for an extended career in the bullpen.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 01:03 AM)
He had a real bad night it happens

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 01:05 AM)
...especially to rookies.

here's the thing with rookie starters: they really have no in between. if they aren't lights-out, they get shelled. remember Ervin Santana gave up the cycle in his first ever inning, then shut us out? or Dontrelle Willis throwing a 2 or 1-hitter his rookie year and still ending up with an ERA of around 4 - 4.5? plus, McCarthy's psyche has to be ruined from playing in that bandbox of a AAA stadium (you know what Coors does to pitchers, even on the road those guys are bad), I expect him to bounce back in his next start.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox21.html

McCarthy blamed a lack of confidence in his changeup for his most recent struggles.

''I was a little self-conscious about it, and I kept throwing it in the dirt,'' McCarthy said. ''Once you take that third pitch out of the mix, it cuts me down to a two-pitch pitcher and it makes it tougher to pitch, especially if I have a little spotty day with command. That's just my fault for not having confidence in the pitch.''

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 01:27 AM)
Understand McCarthy supporters, it's more than control which is ailing our  top pitching prospect. He needs better stuff--period.

He needs to develop a changeup. It's really that simple. I don't believe suggestions of learning to "keep the ball down in the zone." How exactly is that something you can work on without tweaking his delivery? Either you have the ability to pitch down in the zone or you don't. When I've seen McCarthy hit his zone, which he has done well, it's been murdered. No one is fooled with McCarthy. And yes, I noticed Dye misjudged a fly ball, which added 2 ER to his line; but it was obvious aside from that moment he was not pitching well.

Well, it's kind of obvious to suggest that McCarthy needs three pitches to be successful in the majors. He could probably use four. I think he's working on his changeup, and it will improve.

What I don't understand is why he doesn't pick up a cut fastball from Buehrle. It's an easy pitch to learn (it involves little more than adifferent grip on a fastball) and would give him movement in the zone and hopefully he would be able to jam lefties or back door them with it. As long as he can locate both the fastball and the cut fastball, he should be effective.

A sinker would also be a very effective pitch if he could throw it, given his tendency to give up home runs.

By the way, I don't blame Dye for getting a bad jump on Teahan's blooper. It was just one of those things - big swing, ball hits near the barrell of the bat and you would normally either hold your ground or drift back. Happens to all outfielders, good and bad.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 12:18 AM)
here's the thing with rookie starters:  they really have no in between.  if they aren't lights-out, they get shelled.  remember Ervin Santana gave up the cycle in his first ever inning, then shut us out?  or Dontrelle Willis throwing a 2 or 1-hitter his rookie year and still ending up with an ERA of around 4 - 4.5?  plus, McCarthy's psyche has to be ruined from playing in that bandbox of a AAA stadium (you know what Coors does to pitchers, even on the road those guys are bad), I expect him to bounce back in his next start.

Ervin Santana gave up the cycle to the first 4 batters he saw.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 11:09 PM)
When McCarthy isnt getting the changeup over the plate consistently, like tonight....guys are gonna let that curveball go, and sit on deadred Koch-esque fastballs.

I think we need to lock Shingo and BMac in a room with a bathroom, pitching mound, fridge full of food, and a stove and tell them they can't come out until they can throw a change-up for a strike.

One more interesting thing I have not seen mentioned on here, which I heard on the radio broadcast last night, was that because Hernandez neglected to tell Oz and Kenny that he was still hurting until Sunday, Brandon threw a side session on Sunday at AAA. I wonder if this was affecting Brandon's arm last night?