2nd half will be a dogfight

brijames

The White Sox are not a 30 game over .500 team. They played a great 1st half and made the most of every break.

This 2nd half race will be very close before it's over. The Sox will have to scratch and claw for everything they get. They are not as bad as they played this Oakland series and not as good as how they played up to it.

Now that I sit back and think the Sox caught alot of breaks in the 1 half like when we played the Angels for seven games without Vlad and we always seemed to miss the opposing teams ace in alot of series, but anyways me made the most of the breaks. Lets put this series behind us and go go em.

i dont know why everyone has to doubt us. "because we have collapsed before" is not a valid reason. that was a different team. these guys are different. im not saying werer going to finish 60 games over but we have a very comfortable lead and i fully believe this team will hold off any runs the twins and tribe make. have faith in our boys. series like the a's are going to happen. i mean its the first time we've been swept all season. thats pretty damn impressive to me. don't panic. we'll be fine, the all-star break is coming at a perfect time. 2005 sox. AL Central Champs. :gosox1:

While I think the 9 game lead will give us some protection in the 2nd half, this series is the first time this year that made me start to doubt this team. Saturdays game was horrible, they were absolutely dead, and Ozzie even called them out on that.

Today was a day Freddy needed to step up, the Sox didn't get one out when they really needed it.

I think this is a very solid team, but I think KW needs to add a piece, definitely one in the bullpen if Damaso is going to be hurt, but another starter or atleast a solid utility backup IF is needed

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 05:08 PM)
4 at Cleveland right out of the gate.

HUGE series to go at worst 2-2 in. The 9 game lead has given them some cushion, but they can't roll in there and get swept or go 1-3, then some of the old demons of doubt in the players might start popping up

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 06:10 PM)
HUGE series to go at worst 2-2 in.  The 9 game lead has given them some cushion, but they can't roll in there and get swept or go 1-3, then some of the old demons of doubt in the players might start popping up

.....and Cleveland is well aware of it. Going 1-3 or worse would make everything very interesting.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 05:10 PM)
We're kidding ourselves if we think it will be a cake-walk to win the AL Central.  We're going to have to play better than we have the last two weeks or so if we want to win the division.

What 7-5 isn't good enough for you? The Sox are 7-7 in their last 14, but that was also following an 8 game win streak. I'm not worried. There's no reason to get upset. The A's own us. Scratch those from the record.

If the Sox play .500 the rest of the game they'll still win 95 games. That will almost definitely get us into the playoffs. On their current pace the Twins will win 90 and the Indians 87. Let's say the Twins play .600 ball the rest of the way, that puts them at 95 wins. So the Sox only have to play a little better than .500 ball the rest of the way and they should win the division. Don't worry, the Sox are better than a .500 team. They'll probably win 100 or so. Basically worst case scenario for the Sox and best case scenario for the Twins has it as a close race, I see no reason to assume either will happen.

The numbers favor The Sox as the previous post says. The Twisn and Indians have a lot of work to do to catch The Sox and that's if they play only .500. I'll be cocky and say that they will play better than .500 in the 2nd half and will make the playoffs. Rather than b**** about this series let's be excited about a 1st half no one saw coming.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 05:18 PM)
The thing that's scaring me now is that the A's are like 5 out of the wild card.  There's a chance that if the Sox get into the playoffs they'll be looking at a best of 5 with the A's

That would be just our luck if we had the best record in baseball and we have to play Oakland in the wild card. I pray that does not happen.

The Sox are not going to collapse. We still have the best starting pitching, we still crush the weak teams, and we're getting 3 very helpful role players back after the break.

We just have a real weakness against these A's, and Ozzie managed us into a loss today.

I'm also encouraged that this little rough patch may help tip KW into making a deal that will help us in October. I'd rather hit the rough patch now and fix it than go into October overconfident and turn up playing like these last 3 games in the first round.

QUOTE(brijames @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
The White Sox are not a 30 game over .500 team. They played a great 1st half and made the most of every break.

This 2nd half race will be very close before it's over. The Sox will have to scratch and claw for everything they get. They are not as bad as they played this Oakland series and not as good as how they played up to it.

Who let Peter Gammons on this board????

The bad thing about this situation is that we are no longer invincible. We were faced with a challege we couldn't stand up to, and we will not get another chance to prove that fear wrong. There is a team out there who, as far as we can tell, would "send us home" if we had to play them. That's a sick feeling

The good thing is that no team is invincible. The Sox won't play .700 ball all year; no team can. We all got comfortable thinking that, and perhaps the Sox did too. The truth is that they are human and can and will slump like all teams. It is better to learn that now then learn it in october. Even if the Sox return from the break to lose 8 of 10, they will rebound, as all slumping teams do. Unfortunately, there will just be that spector of Oakland haunting us the rest of the way.

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 07:48 PM)
The bad thing about this situation is that we are no longer invincible.  We were faced with a challege we couldn't stand up to, and we will not get another chance to prove that fear wrong.  There is a team out there who, as far as we can tell, would "send us home" if we had to play them.  That's a sick feeling

The good thing is that no team is invincible.  The Sox won't play .700 ball all year; no team can.  We all got comfortable thinking that, and perhaps the Sox did too.  The truth is that they are human and can and will slump like all teams.  It is better to learn that now then learn it in october.  Even if the Sox return from the break to lose 8 of 10, they will rebound, as all slumping teams do.  Unfortunately, there will just be that spector of Oakland haunting us the rest of the way.

SFF

Detroit Tigers lineup is healthy and looks very formidable right now...350-1 to win the world series is a real bargain! Carlos Guillen, Maggs, Irod are all back....look for big 2nd half for Tigers. For what it is worth the AL central division is very strong! Wild card has won last 3 WS.....

And when is Florida going to wake up? What is wrong with that team?

QUOTE(chisoxfan79 @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
Now that I sit back and think the Sox caught alot of breaks in the 1  half like when we played the Angels for seven games without Vlad and we always seemed to miss the opposing teams ace in alot of series, but anyways me made the most of the breaks. Lets put this series behind us and go go em.

Exactly!

Scary is that we struggled against Tim Stauffer (SD) & Ervin Santana (ANA)...oh sorry that was because I went to both those games....

Here is a list of the pitchers we didn't get:

1. Only faced Johan Santana 1 time of the 5 played

2. CC Sabathia 1 time in 9 played

3. Didn't face Jamie Moyer (SEA)

4. Didnt face Roy Halladay (TOR)

5. Didn't face Kenny Rogers in 5 played

6. Mark Prior only 1 time in 6 played

7. Bartolo Colon 1 time in 7 played (ANA)

8. No Jake Peavy or Adam Eaton vs SD

Outside of Detroit the other teams pitching staffs might as well be farm clubs...colorado, tampa, kc, dodgers, az....

What was it a couple of years ago we got no breaks...we hit every teams win streak....this year so far the exact opposite...

GO SOX great first half...