Jason Schmidt News

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:17 AM)
I heard the Mike and Mike report too, but what i heard a few days ago, i believe it was gammons (i know not everyone thinks hes reliable) but he said the giants have been shopping schmidt for about a month. if you ask me, they are trying to drive up the price by sayin he isnt available. IMO the giants are nuts to not move him. they are better off trading him for prospects now ,and then using the 10 million dollars they save in free agency next year. this is the real trade KW should be lookin at. it will cost less than burnett in terms of prospects/ml players, youll get a guaranteed year of schmidt next year, whereas burnett could be a rental, and i personally feel that he is a better pitcher and if he gets even close to being 03-04 schmidt, he can dominate a playoff series better than burnett can. to me this deal is a way better option than burnett, who will prolly go to the Os anyways

The Giants can attack 2006 in a few ways, but I think they definitely expect to compete if Bonds comes back. The past few seasons, their recipe for success was to have the best MLB pitcher (Schmidt) and the best slugger (Bonds) and to surround them with some good/role-playing talent. Clearly they are hurting without Bonds and with an injured Schmidt. Their roster is pretty decent, so if they think Bonds is coming back in 2006, then they should probably keep Schmidt and make one last run at it. If they think Bonds is coming back, but want to trade Schmidt, they need to get (via the trade) at least one or two players ready to make an impact next season to compete, plus to use the bonus cash to get another good role-player.

If Bonds doesn't come back, then they're probably best to go into rebuilding mode and get as many prospects as they can for Schmidt. Without Bonds, they'll have a tough time mustering the offense necessary to win in 2006. Thus, they should try to assemble a crop of young players to compete in 2007.

Thus, their actions this trading deadline should reflect their expectations on Bonds return in 2006. If they think he's coming back, hold onto Schmidt or only trade for a few major league ready players. Otherwise, prospects are fine. I'm guessing their thinking over the last month is that Bonds is less likely to play all or a significant portion of 2006 and that is why their asking price has apparently dropped.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:23 AM)
Jason Schmidt is crap outside of a Giants uniform and always has been....

HE IS NO LONGER ON STEROIDS HE'S NOT AN ACE!

THE FACT IS THAT HE WOULD HAVE AN ERA WELL OVER 6 IN THE CELL...

But Felix Diaz will thank you when he's back on the team because either he or El Duque is injured...

Man i'm sick of you bandwagon fans who don't follow baseball who bring up stupid trade ideas just because the guys name is famous... NO MATTER HOW MUCH WORSE HE IS THEN ANYTHING WE HAVE...

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO JUST IGNORE IT BUT YOU GUYS ARE PISSING ME OFF, SOMEONE HAD TO SAY IT!

JASON SCHMIDT IS OVER, AND IF IT WASN'T FOR BEING INTRODUCED TO BERRY BONDS AND BALCO HE NEVER WOULD OF BEEN! PLEASE GET A FREAKIN' CLUE!

Wow, someone needs a nap.

ps. Schmidt was throwing in the high 90's when he was with Atlanta and Pittsburgh. Balco didnt give him more MPH on his fastball.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:23 AM)

But Felix Diaz will thank you when he's back on the team because either he or El Duque is injured...

Man i'm sick of you bandwagon fans who don't follow baseball who bring up stupid trade ideas just because the guys name is famous... NO MATTER HOW MUCH WORSE HE IS THEN ANYTHING WE HAVE...

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO JUST IGNORE IT BUT YOU GUYS ARE PISSING ME OFF, SOMEONE HAD TO SAY IT!

JASON SCHMIDT IS OVER, AND IF IT WASN'T FOR BEING INTRODUCED TO BERRY BONDS AND BALCO HE NEVER WOULD OF BEEN! PLEASE GET A FREAKIN' CLUE!

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting ...

...that was a joke right? :huh

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)
First off there is no reason to think he was on steroids except for the fact that he's on the same team as Bonds which is a stupid reason.  Second, he's starting to get his consistancy back, you could tell he still has very good stuff when you watch him pitch which I assume you haven't done.  The more and more he continues to pitch the better he's going to get as this year goes on.

Yeah... the fact that he was only mediocore before joining the same team with Bonds and Balco is just a coincidence right... After an already long major league career he suddenly just found all this talent...

Yeah right keep dreaming....

Ohh and also Benito Santiago, Marvin Benard... think of all the players the Giants had in the same time frame that have used... sorry but I perfer to live in the real world...

I will once again say the same thing I said from day one...

I would love to get Jason Schmidt on this team if the price is right... BUT NO WAY IN HELL IS HE WORTH MORE THEN A MID LEVEL PROSPECT, MAYBE A HIGH PROSPECT!, but you sure don't weaken your starting staff to get him...

He is insurance for El Duque, so we trade Jose for him and that leaves us what if El Duque gets hurt... I mean think about it...

I would even be ok with a BMAC for Schmidt deal, but no way on earth would I weaken our major league team to get him...

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
Yeah... the fact that he was only mediocore before joining the same team with Bonds and Balco is just a coincidence right... After an already long major league career he suddenly just found all this talent...

Ohh and also Benito Santiago, Marvin Benard... think of all the players the Giants had in the same time frame that have used... sorry but I perfer to live in the real world...

I would love to get Jason Schmidt on this team if the price is right... BUT NO WAY IN HELL IS HE WORTH MORE THEN A MID LEVEL PROSPECT, MAYBE A HIGH PROSPECT!, but you sure don't weaken your starting staff to get him...

He is insurance for El Duque, so we trade Jose for him and that leaves us what if El Duque gets hurt... I mean think about it...

I would even be ok with a BMAC for Schmidt deal, but no way on earth would I weaken our major league team to get him...

Once again, have you watched Schmidt pitch this year?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I don't want to trade Jose either, you're just acting totally clueless to Schmidt's pitching ability from past years and this year.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:36 AM)

I would love to get Jason Schmidt on this team if the price is right... BUT NO WAY IN HELL IS HE WORTH MORE THEN A MID LEVEL PROSPECT, MAYBE A HIGH PROSPECT!, 

Yeah, cause nobody ever just figures it out. :bang

Mid-level prospect for one of the dominant pitchers of the past few years???? Did you forget to turn your xbox off?

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)

your last two posts have set yourself up to get torn to pieces on this board....being a dickhead about trying to prove your poitn doesnt help either. you say you just live in the real world, yet your info says live "in my own head..."....uh.....anybody see some contradiction and irony there?

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)

ritalin.jpg

ritalin-mag.jpg

Edited by southsideirish71

What is the deal with the ginormous font?

Give it a rest. You stuck your neck out a while ago and said that Schmidt was done. That's good, I respect the fact that you took that risk and said what you believed. Problem is, you're wrong and you're probably starting to realize it now. Schmidt was 4-2 with a 2.77 ERA in his last 6 starts before last night's game, and those stats are now even better.

Many pitchers take a few years to figure things out. A great example is Curt Schilling, and we may have our own guy in Jon Garland. Schmidt was underperforming for a while this year because he was still recovering from an injury and needed time to get back into the swing of things. He's now back into the swing, and he's been doing very well. Just do yourself a favor, and quit arguing this point. If you want to argue, just do it in a less "annoying" way.

BECAUSE THIS WILL GET YOU NOWHERE. IT'S JUST REALLY ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)

Mr. Jeckle2000. What you've just said....is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

How can you possibly make that kind of statement? It has never been speculated that he was on steroids by anyone. I have never heard his name brought up in any conversation about steroids. Why would you accuse someone without any type of proof whatsoever? Shouldn't you at least have some type of evidence before you start making such ugly accusations as those? Just being on the same team or on the same coast as Balco and Bonds, McGwire, Canseco, Giambi, Santiago... doesn't mean he did anything.

I don't think there is any doubt that Sosa did them, but does that mean that we should accuse every Dominican player because they come from the same country? Your points are childish and ridiculous.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:49 AM)
Mr. Jeckle2000. What you've just said....is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

How can you possibly make that kind of statement? It has never been speculated that he was on steroids by anyone. I have never heard his name brought up in any conversation about steroids. Why would you accuse someone without any type of proof whatsoever? Shouldn't you at least have some type of evidence before you start making such ugly accusations as those? Just being on the same team or on the same coast as Balco and Bonds, McGwire, Canseco, Giambi, Santiago... doesn't mean he did anything.

I don't think there is any doubt that Sosa did them, but does that mean that we should accuse every Dominican player because they come from the same country? Your points are childish and ridiculous.

i choose business ethics

Jeckle....stop smoking. It's bad for you and the effects are already evident. Schmidt for a mid-level prospect? Why don't we just an an A prospect and Vizquel to the deal huh?

Edited by SoxFan1

I'm sorry but I will not be willing to part with top quality for Schmidt.....

He has a road ERA of 5.22 and batting against of .297...

The AL would absolutely destroy him and in the cell can you spell ERA of 6...

I'm sorry for the big font but i'm so sick of the people who say, he hit 94 on the gun he must be good now... He was mediocore before the Giants and steroids and I wouldn't put it past him to be mediocore now..

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
I'm sorry but I will not  be willing to part with top quality for Schmidt.....

I'm sorry for the big font but i'm so sick of the people who say, he hit 94 on the gun he must be good now... He was mediocore before the Giants and steroids and I wouldn't put it past him to be mediocore now..

You've made your point abundantly clear. I think we all know how you feel by now, Mr. Hyde.

So being on a bad team had nothing to do with him being mediocre?

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 07:23 PM)

Can I see some evidence of this steroid abuse besided the fact that he plays on the same team as Barry Bonds, Marvin Benard, Benito Santiago and resides on the same coast as BALCO. Can I please see a little bit more before you start making such childish comments and ugly accusations?

I know you think you are on to something, but making baseless accusations about steroids is juvenille at best, libel at worst. You are taking your interpretation of the facts as you believe them, and coming up with an answer you have no real proof of, and posting it as fact, dispite the fact that is could get you and this site sued.

By the same logic, I could take the fact that you like to hang out on a message board that has a lot of kids on it and label you a child molester. I have no evidence and nothing except anectotal evidence to back it up but hey, if I run around typing it in really big font and loud colors, maybe people will believe me.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 02:26 PM)
stop all rumors now.  Burnett just got traded to the Royals for one of there players on one knows. Royals feel there still in the hunt for wildcard.

You might want to go back and put this in green, have a link, or delete it. We don't care for false rumors around these parts.