Jason Schmidt News

Chisoxfn

I just read over my Sports Weekly and it states that

"The White Sox are willing to give up pitching prospect Brandon McCarthy in a trade for the Marlins' A.J. Burnett, but they won't surrender him in a deal for Giants starter Jason Schmidt. The White Sox will move Triple-A outfielder Brian Anderson for Jason Schmidt."

"The Giants, according to several general managers, plan to move Schimdt by July 31."

"The Mariners are expected to trade outfielder Randy Winn and reliever Ron Villone, but they likely will keep closer Eddie Guardado and outfielder Raul Ibanez."

"Closer Billy Wagner wants out if the Phillies drop out of the race."

"The Tigers are taking offers for pitcher Jason Johnson and outfielder Rondell White."

"The Dodgers are taking offers for left-hander Odalis Perez, who's in the first year of a three-year, $24million deal."

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)

"The White Sox are willing to give up pitching prospect Brandon McCarthy in a trade for the Marlins' A.J. Burnett, but they won't surrender him in a deal for Giants starter Jason Schmidt. The White Sox will move Triple-A outfielder Brian Anderson for Jason Schmidt."

I think JR doesn't want the contracts of both JC and Schmidt, so if we do get Schmidt, look for JC to be moved. IF we could trade McCarthy straight up for Burnett, and keep JC as insurance for El Duque, that would be Awesome!

Edited by CYGarland

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 07:45 PM)

Here's how I read that: Bmac would be expendable because the sox would try to sign AJ to a long term deal. If the sox got Schmidt, then it might only be for the next few months, maybe 1 yr. Then Bmac would be ready

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
Here's how I read that: Bmac would be expendable because the sox would try to sign AJ to a long term deal. If the sox got Schmidt, then it might only be for the next few months, maybe 1 yr. Then Bmac would be ready

That's very insightful. I bet that's actually KW's line of thinking.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)

If they trade for AJ, I want a window to resign him or no deal, I don't want him coming here with no longterm deal. We had the Ozzie factor for FG, for AJ it's going to be 4 at 40

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
If they trade for AJ, I want a window to resign him or no deal, I don't want him coming here with no longterm deal.  We had the Ozzie factor for FG, for AJ it's going to be 4 at 40

If I were the sox i wouldn't trade for AJ in the first place. He'll be on the DL for 2 of the next 4 yrs at least

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 10:39 PM)
If I were the sox i wouldn't trade for AJ in the first place. He'll be on the DL for 2 of the next 4 yrs at least

Very true. From what I have seen I would give up B-Mac in the Schmidt deal if that lands him for us. If I have to give up B-Mac and Anderson that is fine with me, but I want Vizquel in the deal as well. Contreras, B-Mac, Shingo, Brian Anderson for Schmidt and Vizquel looks nice to me. If they wanted to throw in Hawkins as well that would be fine by me, but I am not sure how they feel about him. If they just wanted to dump some salary off in the deal I can see them doing it and that would be fine by me.

I know, I know, where would they fit on the roster? 3 MLB players coming in and only 1 leaving. Well say goodbye to Contreras, Willie, and Timo and say hello to Schmidt, Omar, and Hawkins.

Nice staff of

(1) Buehrle

(2) Garcia

(3) Schmidt

(4) Garland

(5) El Duque

Vicaino RH

Jenks RH

Hawkins RH

Cotts LH

Politte Righty setup

Marte Lefty setup

Hermanson Closer

Not giving up B-Mac in a Schmidt is a good idea at least in my mind, I don't mind giving him up in a Burnett deal on the condition that A.J signs a long - term deal with us ALA Freddy Garcia. But as beck said, if Schmidt leaves at the end of next season, you've got about 3 to 4 cotracts in our rotation will be up, and B-Mac will probably be required to come into one of those roles. I don't mind giving up Brian Anderson for Schmidt at all though however.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)

"The Giants, according to several general managers, plan to move Schimdt by July 31."

"The Mariners are expected to trade outfielder Randy Winn and reliever Ron Villone, but they likely will keep closer Eddie Guardado and outfielder Raul Ibanez."

"Closer Billy Wagner wants out if the Phillies drop out of the race."

"The Tigers are taking offers for pitcher Jason Johnson and outfielder Rondell White."

"The Dodgers are taking offers for left-hander Odalis Perez, who's in the first year of a three-year, $24million deal."

good info there southsideirish....ive said it before and i will again id prefer schmidt over burnett, but either is a positive. i mean we are talkin about a guy who would go to NYY, BOS or BAL and be their #2 or #1 in teh case of baltimore coming to the southside and being the 3rd or fourth starter in teh playoffs. wow. thats good. Billy wagner i dont think will get traded, unless philly drops way out. i saw his comments, but the thing is philly is in it, and if they moved him they would want enough major league help to win now. wagner would be huge, but thats not probable.

at first i believed KW when he said he wasnt gonna make any major moves at the deadline, but the more i think about it, the more that statement is insane. yes its a sellers market, but last year we were dead even with the twins and KW was talkin about goin deep in the playoffs. how can he not do it this year. he feels he has an obligation to us to go for it and go for it big. while i havent been a big backer of villone, our bullpen has played over their heads this year (politte, cotts, hermie all career years) and jenks is still a ? so a guy like villone or batista would add great depth. KW will do something significant, mark my words. it just makes too little sense for him not to

I think KW will keep exploring possibilities. However, when he made that remark about not foreseeing any big deals, he also said that he didn't want to rape the big club to do so and that is what was being asked for. The market changes as the deadline approaches, so he'll keep an ear open and see what happens.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 02:34 AM)
I think KW will keep exploring possibilities.  However, when he made that remark about not foreseeing any big deals, he also said that he didn't want to rape the big club to do so and that is what was being asked for.  The market changes as the deadline approaches, so he'll keep an ear open and see what happens.

One thing about Kenny is you know he's always looking. If something makes sense he'll pull the trigger but he's not going to dismantle the 25 man roster of the best team in baseball, just doesn't make any sense.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 02:38 AM)
One thing about Kenny is you know he's always looking.  If something makes sense he'll pull the trigger but he's not going to dismantle the 25 man roster of the best team in baseball, just doesn't make any sense.

Thought I'd bump this. Per Bruce Levine, Kenny and 3 other scouts were in attendance at wrigley today to watch Schmidt pitch. I didn't watch the game but by numbers he was quite impressive.

EDIT: I have no clue why I quoted my old post. :bang

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 11:37 PM)
Thought I'd bump this.  Per Bruce Levine, Kenny and 3 other scouts were in attendance at wrigley today to watch Schmidt pitch.  I didn't watch the game but by numbers he was quite impressive.

Maybe looking at omar as well ?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
Thought I'd bump this.  Per Bruce Levine, Kenny and 3 other scouts were in attendance at wrigley today to watch Schmidt pitch.  I didn't watch the game but by numbers he was quite impressive.

EDIT: I have no clue why I quoted my old post. :bang

Here we go;

Jason Schmidt allowed one run in seven innings, but didn't get a decision in tonight's game against the Cubs.

He gave up six hits, walked one and struck out five. The run scored on Michael Barrett's homer. Schmidt has turned in seven quality starts in eight tries. Jul. 25 - 11:58 pm et

Maybe that was KW's idea all along.  Make everyone think he's going after Burnett, then he shows up at a Schmidt game.

That guy's a genius, I say.  Wouldn't you agree? :D

If he somehow manages to land Jason Schmidt.. Then you might be onto something..Also depends on who he gives up and if he figures out our SS problem..