Despite being in first, White Sox just cannot win

IlliniKrush

CHICAGO -- If you ask White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen about the Curse of the Black Sox, he'll give you a smile and a curse in return.

''You want to know my honest answer? It's a bunch of [expletive] people come up with."

If you ask Ozzie ANY question, you can count on a smile (maybe) and a curse (certainly).

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 02:45 AM)
If you ask Ozzie ANY question, you can count on a smile (maybe) and a curse (certainly).

And if you ask ozzie a question about a player or any person in general you can be 100 percent certain that the word kid will be used.

Jeeeez.

They win one World Series, thanks to a historic Yankee collapse, and now they're mocking someone else's lack of WS flags?

"Their lonely 1917 WS flag"....like they have 40 of them lined up or something...

:rolly

I call them the Red Cubs for a reason, and they just gave me another.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 03:15 AM)
Jeeeez.

They win one World Series, thanks to a historic Yankee collapse, and now they're mocking someone else's lack of WS flags?

"Their lonely 1917 WS flag"....like they have 40 of them lined up or something...

:rolly

I call them the Red Cubs for a reason, and they just gave me another.

I'd give anything short of my life for that "one" World Series win.

I imagine if you are a Red Sox fan, and accustomed to sell out after sell out, seeing empty seats and a 1st place team is strange. JR and Co. did their part. Sox fans have always said put a winning product on the field and we will come. It's put up or shut up time.

I happen to think it is a story. The financial side of baseball dominates everything from trades to attendance.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 06:06 AM)
jesus h. f***ing christ can we give it a goddamn rest already on this attendance bulls***.

f***. is the the only story to write?

piss-poor f***ing journalism again.

that whole f***in newspaper is a joke. they get so much national pub, between bob ryan and dan shaugnessy. im not sure about the guy who wrote that article, but ryan and shaugnessy are as big of a joke to journalism as jay mariotti. they are clueless and unlike mariotti, they can't say a damn thing bad about any of their teams. they spend their whole time trying to emulate bob nightengale and they simply suck. ryan tries to be controversial, and is just a dope. he called my schools basketball team "too white to win in the tourney" and we f***in made it to the sweet 16 losing to eventual champs Uconn, and we ended up playing them as close as anyone in the entire tourney. the globe is a huge reason why red sox and pats fans have a gigantic chip on their shoulder. i hate cub fans more than anything else, but red sox fans are becoming a close second

QUOTE(mreye @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 12:31 PM)
I actually thought it was a pretty fair article.

fair or not, there are other more interesting topics to choose from.

having worked in the business, i can tell you how this story happens. every major sports department in the country gets the ap wire. when the ap moved that story on sox attendance a month or two ago, sports editors probably pulled it and said we can localize this as a take-out piece if the sox are still good when we play them.

at that point the story gets filed away, then trotted out again a month or so later. the reporter gets the assignment, takes his impressions from the initial story, updates some numbers and voila. readers of the boston globe never saw that ap story so it looks as if some actual research and story development was done here.

i do agree the story is fair. the problem is that it is far from the best and most compelling story out there concerning this team. and from a reader standpoint, if i live in boston i probably don't care about the sox attendance that much.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:04 AM)
fair or not, there are other more interesting topics to choose from.

having worked in the business, i can tell you how this story happens. every major sports department in the country gets the ap wire. when the ap moved that story on sox attendance a month or two ago, sports editors probably pulled it and said we can localize this as a take-out piece if the sox are still good when we play them.

at that point the story gets filed away, then trotted out again a month or so later. the reporter gets the assignment, takes his impressions from the initial story, updates some numbers and voila. readers of the boston globe never saw that ap story so it looks as if some actual research and story development was done here.

i do agree the story is fair. the problem is that it is far from the best and most compelling story out there concerning this team. and from a reader standpoint, if i live in boston i probably don't care about the sox attendance that much.

No more or less than you do living in Ohio.. :P

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:28 AM)
that whole f***in newspaper is a joke. they get so much national pub, between bob ryan and dan shaugnessy. im not sure about the guy who wrote that article, but ryan and shaugnessy are as big of a joke to journalism as jay mariotti. they are clueless and unlike mariotti, they can't say a damn thing bad about any of their teams. they spend their whole time trying to emulate bob nightengale and they simply suck. ryan tries to be controversial, and is just a dope. he called my schools basketball team "too white to win in the tourney" and we f***in made it to the sweet 16 losing to eventual champs Uconn, and we ended up playing them as close as anyone in the entire tourney. the globe is a huge reason why red sox and pats fans have a gigantic chip on their shoulder. i hate cub fans more than anything else, but red sox fans are becoming a close second

Ryan and Shaughnessy never say anything bad about their teams? First of all, both teams are WORLD CHAMPIONS so it's not easy to find bad things to say. But that's beside the point because apparently you are forgetting that Shaughnessy wrote an entire book on why the Red Sox had not, and would not, win the World Series. And Ryan, the day after the Patriots had won their third Super Bowl in four years, wrote a front-page article on why the team shouldn't be called a dynasty.

You really don't know what you're talking about.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 07:49 AM)
Ryan and Shaughnessy never say anything bad about their teams?  First of all, both teams are WORLD CHAMPIONS so it's not easy to find bad things to say.  But that's beside the point because apparently you are forgetting that Shaughnessy wrote an entire book on why the Red Sox had not, and would not, win the World Series.  And Ryan, the day after the Patriots had won their third Super Bowl in four years, wrote a front-page article on why the team shouldn't be called a dynasty.

You really don't know what you're talking about.

shaugnessys book is more a campaign for the rest of the world to feel bad for them. boo hoo im not gonna shed a tear cuz his team hasnt won. besides yes, they are both world champs, but they werent for a long time, and all you ever heard from them was how they deserve it and how they are due. ill give you ryans article about the dynasty, but that guy is just flat ignorant anyways.

edit: the entire new england sports scene drives me nuts. they all act like their teams are americas team and s*** simply cuz they are rivals of the yankees, the "evil empire" (which oddly enough was deemed after teh yanks acquired none other than jose contreras). but what nobody knows is that the red sox rented out the entire hotel where contreras was staying during his workouts, so the yankees couldnt get close to him. god i just hate those sports fans with a passion

Edited by daa84

"I could care less. I'm the type of guy that doesn't need recognition, media coverage, and stuff like that. I just like to go out there and do my job and stay under the radar."

I think this is pretty much what the whole team feels.....

its was a fair article, I guess its fine that it was a Boston paper....as long as it wasn't ESPN running thier 8 millionth article about this.

Guess none of the "Experts" have been out to the stadium lately must be talking to John Kruk or something....

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 07:26 AM)
I imagine if you are a Red Sox fan, and accustomed to sell out after sell out, seeing empty seats and a 1st place team is strange. JR and Co. did their part. Sox fans have always said put a winning product on the field and we will come. It's put up or shut up time.

I happen to think it is a story. The financial side of baseball dominates everything from trades to attendance.

You're right about the put up or shut up and Sox fans have been putting up lately, the attendance has been way up lately. Now it's time for KW and JR to put up.