ESPN Insider

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
Agreed, I like B-Mac and think he will be a solid pitcher, but he is no more than a future #3.  You can find FA to do what I think B-Mac will eventual do.

I agree, I see him as a solid#3 possibly some day, Kip Wells-ish maybe. But he doesnt have the stuff or the mechanics to be extremely consistant. I would trade him in an instant because I think we can FA a new pitcher if need be next season, and then wait for the rest of the arms to age. I fully expect a knuckleballer in the rotation in the next 3 years. :D

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
Buster seemed to think that it would be BMAC for AJ straight up.  If thats the case, see-ya BMAC in my eyes.  I think he would prosper in the national league anyway.  I think if we can do that, we still have more bargaining chips on the table to get Wagner etc.  If it takes dealing JC to someone, we would do it and be MUCH improved.  I honestly do not see BMAC as our #1 pitching prospect.

If that's the case, Buster deserves to lose his job.

Brandon McCarthy for AJ, the most coveted pitcher on the market, Burnett straight up?

It's laughable.

Also, for those of you only projecting McCarthy to be a #3 starter at best, ask Mr. Garland the difference a year makes.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
If that's the case, Buster deserves to lose his job.

Brandon McCarthy for AJ, the most coveted pitcher on the market, Burnett straight up?

It's laughable.

Also, for those of you only projecting McCarthy to be a #3 starter at best, ask Mr. Garland the difference a year makes.

Garland was much more conveted than BMAC. And its my opinion, but im not too impressed with BMAC's mechanics and the movement on his fastball.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 07:26 PM)
Garland was much more conveted than BMAC.  And its my opinion, but im not too impressed with BMAC's mechanics and the movement on his fastball.

If Garland was that much more coveted, how come it only took Matt Karchner to get him from the Cubs?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)
Garland was much more conveted than BMAC.  And its my opinion, but im not too impressed with BMAC's mechanics and the movement on his fastball.

be honest, how much do you know about bmacs mechanics?

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
If Garland was that much more coveted, how come it only took Matt Karchner to get him from the Cubs?

Not arguing with you or anything, but Garland was taken I believe in the 1st or 2nd round and BMac was in the 19th...

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 01:36 PM)
Not arguing with you or anything, but Garland was taken I believe in the 1st or 2nd round and BMac was in the 19th...

yeah, but garland never led the minors in K's and never nearly won MLPOY

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
Garland also was somewhat raw at the time of the Karchner trade, I believe (traded for in '98, didn't make his debut till 2000, right?).  Jon Rauch won MLPOY...I don't care about that award.

Jon Garland was 21 when he made his major league debut after 3 years in the minors, after being drafted out of high school.

Brandon McCarthy was also 21 when he made his major league debut...

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 07:36 PM)

Usually...you can tell a players value by who they were traded for. And yes, Garland was picked higher, but so was Bobby Seay and thousands of others that never sniffed the big show.

The Cubs had given up on Garland, the Sox stole him.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)
McCarthy for A.J. straight up I would do.  But no Damaso, no Anderson.  He's gonna be a rental player.  As the top free agent pitcher, the Yanks, the Sawks and even the Tigers will easily outbid us.  I say McCarthy OK, anything else NO.

He wouldn't be a rental because it has been said that he will only be traded to a team that will sign him, and according to Tim Kurchjian the Yankees and Red Sox aren't going to get him, he thinks we now have the best chance.

How about this idea?(Thinking like I'm K-Dub right now)

White Sox trade for Burnett and proceed to move him for a package of Wagner and Lidle. Probably Burnett and Chris Young??? I don't know, but I know KW loves Corey Lidle and he could be a nice Spot Starter/Long Reliever.

What do you guys think?

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
How about this idea?(Thinking like I'm K-Dub right now)

White Sox trade for Burnett and proceed to move him for a package of Wagner and Lidle. Probably Burnett and Chris Young??? I don't know, but I know KW loves Corey Lidle and he could be a nice Spot Starter/Long Reliever.

What do you guys think?

I believe Kennys priority is this year and I believe that he'lll do whatever it takes to get the desired results. It has been too long between championships we, the fans want a championship and Reinsdorf and company are going to back him! :gosox1:

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
Garland also was somewhat raw at the time of the Karchner trade, I believe (traded for in '98, didn't make his debut till 2000, right?).  Jon Rauch won MLPOY...I don't care about that award.

I believe that if you look at Garland's history before the major leagues, you will find he eventally was close to, if not the highest, rated pitcher at each level he went through. I remeber readin his bio shortly after he was acquired from the Cubs and it was impressive.

From reading everything, any deal that nets us Burnett would also have Contreras going back to Florida. Unless, like Beck suggests, Burnett was then dealt to another team. But I doubt that happens.

A real interesting idea would be something like -- Contreras + Vizcaino for Burnett, with the Sox eating all of Viz/Contreras' contracts for this year, and half of Contreras' for next year. Contreras would have a chance to pitch in an extreme pitchers' park, closer to his home -- at a real discount, too. Of course, I'm doing a lot of speculating here -- moreso hoping that the $$$ would be enough to goad the Marlins into pulling a deal.

Hopefully Florida starts to get a little desperate, forcing them to pull the trigger on a poor deal.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 06:30 PM)
A real interesting idea would be something like -- Contreras + Vizcaino for Burnett, with the Sox eating all of Viz/Contreras' contracts for this year, and half of Contreras' for next year. 

Good God almighty.

So you'd be willing to trade about $7 Million, our #4 starter, and our only mop up bullpen guy for half a season of Burnett (and his salary?) :o

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 11:37 PM)
Good God almighty. 

So you'd be willing to trade about $7 Million, our #4 starter, and our only mop up bullpen guy for half a season of Burnett (and his salary?)  :o

$7 million? I thought it was $6 million, and wouldn't it only be like $3 million, 'cause it's halfway through the season? At least, that's the line I was thinking along with.

If paying $6 million this year meant getting Burnett, for just Contreras and Vizcaino, yes I'd do it. Of course, I'd reconsider if I knew that there was also interest in trading for a guy like Wagner/Guardado. But if that was the only move possible to make -- then I'd probably do it (moreso along the money lines of $3 million, though.).

Vizcaino doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I think Jeff Bajenaru could come up and do equally as well as Vizcaino. In my mind, I think if given the shot, he could do a better job, but that's extremely debatable.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 06:44 PM)
$7 million?  I thought it was $6 million, and wouldn't it only be like $3 million, 'cause it's halfway through the season?  At least, that's the line I was thinking along with.

If paying $6 million this year meant getting Burnett, for just Contreras and Vizcaino, yes I'd do it.  Of course, I'd reconsider if I knew that there was also interest in trading for a guy like Wagner/Guardado.  But if that was the only move possible to make -- then I'd probably do it (moreso along the money lines of $3 million, though.).

Vizcaino doesn't mean a whole lot to me.  I think Jeff Bajenaru could come up and do equally as well as Vizcaino.  In my mind, I think if given the shot, he could do a better job, but that's extremely debatable.

I think Viz makes $1.3 million this year, and half of Contreras' salary for 2005 and 2006 would be $6 million.

I think at this point in time it is possible that Baj would be an upgrade over Viz, however, I really don't like the idea of having to split with one of our SP and bullpen guys for a 6 inning, injury-plagued pitcher.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)
Usually...you can tell a players value by who they were traded for.  And yes, Garland was picked higher, but so was Bobby Seay and thousands of others that never sniffed the big show. 

The Cubs had given up on Garland, the Sox stole him.

Garland had only been drafted the previous year. The Cubs hardly gave up on him. Karchner had some decent numbers when we traded him, they were just crappy after the trade. The Cubs were pretty desperate for bullpen help at the time they made that deal.

Exactly.

The Cubs did not give up on Garland, they simply knew he was an "experiment" that would take YEARS--not a few years, but many years--to develop into what he's capable of becoming.

They weren't willing to wait that long, we were.

Thank god.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 02:56 AM)
Garland had only been drafted the previous year.  The Cubs hardly gave up on him. Karchner had some decent numbers when we traded him, they were just crappy after the trade.  The Cubs were pretty desperate for bullpen help at the time they made that deal.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)
ESPN Insider's Buster Olney is reporting that the Fish are now approaching the Sox about A.J. Burnett, and would be asking for Brandon McCarthy in return. The trade could be expanded with Damaso Marte going to the Fish and the Fish including another player.

Sox are going to want FLA to take OH or JC in deal for salary reasons. Bye BM

Give me Burnett and Vizquel, and we're all set for the playoff. Not only for this year, if KW miraculously signs Burnet for three more years, my gosh, how good are the Sox going to be in the next three years.

Buehrle, Burnett, Garcia and Garland will keep us in contention every year!!!

Wow, please make it happen Kenny.

:gosox3:

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 02:56 AM)
Garland had only been drafted the previous year.  The Cubs hardly gave up on him. Karchner had some decent numbers when we traded him, they were just crappy after the trade.  The Cubs were pretty desperate for bullpen help at the time they made that deal.

If I remember correctly I think Garland lost like 5 m.p.h. off his fastball in the Cubs system, and they couldn't figure out why. Then when he got into the Sox system they had him stop throwing the big 12 to 6 curve he use to throw, and the velocity came back.