White Sox vs. Red Sox 7/23 Game Thread

DBAHO

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 09:41 PM)
I'm not talking about just runs scored, I'm talking about how they've consistantly scored a solid amount of runs in most games.

Your right. The offense is fine. We score plenty of runs. Its swamp gas that has us losing 3 out of the last 5 series. We keep getting the unlucky draw of running into former Cy Young award winners night in and night out. Cy Miller really just took it to us.

6b4c10d7.gif

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm, Ozzie, please stop sending Iguchi.

And, just because a guy has two working legs, doesn't mean he can steal bases.

And Carl Everett's line is .257/.302/.466. If Thomas is out for a prolonged period of time, we need to find ourselves a guy who can rake.

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
this team is built to win in the playoffs...finally....we have every ingredient to close it out when it really counts....!  lets just pray that we don't get hit with key injuries...!

Our pitching is built to win in the playoffs. Our hitting is not.

Belton Bill Melton said after the game that we should model ourselves after the A's. They are a low BA team that works counts and makes the best with what we have.

But s*** the As dont hit solo homers like we do. We are going to have at least 180 homers. We rock.

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:45 AM)
this team is built to win in the playoffs...finally....we have every ingredient to close it out when it really counts....!  lets just pray that we don't get hit with key injuries...!

We do? I don't think our offense is close to being World Series caliber. We won't be facing the KC and Tampa bullpens in the postseason.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 09:47 PM)
Our pitching is built to win in the playoffs.  Our hitting is not. 

Belton Bill Melton said after the game that we should model ourselves after the A's.  They are a low BA team that works counts and makes the best with what we have. 

But s*** the As dont hit solo homers like we do.  We are going to have at least 180 homers.  We rock.

Modeling your team after the A's offense is a terrible idea. Considering those kind of lineups will never win a championship, imo.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:51 AM)
Modeling your team after the A's offense is a terrible idea.  Considering those kind of lineups will never win a championship, imo.

Modeling your team to play a certain way won't work with everyone's personnel. Do you really want to see guys like Crede, Rowand, and Uribe taking pitches at the plate? If you get two strikes on those guys, the AB is typically over. The current team we have will never be patient, no matter what.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
Modeling your team after the A's offense is a terrible idea.  Considering those kind of lineups will never win a championship, imo.

I am sure Bill is wrong and you are right.

He also said our offense has been bad for a while now, and outside of the injun series we have been scoring runs mainly on homers. And with that approach its hard to keep consistant.

But then again he just played major league baseball and is an analyst for comcast. What does he know.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 10:53 PM)

He also said our offense has been bad for a while now, and outside of the injun series we have been scoring runs mainly on homers.  And with that approach its hard to keep consistant. 

But then again he just played major league baseball and is an analyst for comcast.  What does he know.

And if Melton said the Sox offense was good you would call him a moron.

You purely judge him as an analyst on wether or not he agrees with you.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:53 AM)
But then again he just played major league baseball and is an analyst for comcast.  What does he know.

SSI, you know I'm a fan of your belief. However, this is a pretty foolish statement. I've heard some of the dumbest things ever from former athletes. Typically, they only get the job because of their name. The much smarter baseball people are usually the ones who had to earn the job with their insight into the game. However, Joe Carter doesn't deserve to be grouped into this argument. Carter could give Albert Frankenstein a run for his money.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 09:53 PM)
Modeling your team to play a certain way won't work with everyone's personnel.  Do you really want to see guys like Crede, Rowand, and Uribe taking pitches at the plate?  If you get two strikes on those guys, the AB is typically over.  The current team we have will never be patient, no matter what.

Actually the As model is take pitches out of the strikezone and work the count so you can swing the bat with a good count.

They put the ball in play when its in the strikezone and take it when its in the dirt. Or we could go with our method, which is to take the fastball down the middle of the plate, swing at 2 in the dirt. That has been working great. Also check our strikeout numbers for our main players. They are not the model for consistancy already. Maybe working the count is a better idea instead of Uribe swinging at the first pitch after the previous hitter worked the count.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 09:55 PM)
SSI, you know I'm a fan of your belief.  However, this is a pretty foolish statement.  I've heard some of the dumbest things ever from former athletes.  Typically, they only get the job because of their name.  The much smarter baseball people are usually the ones who had to earn the job with their insight into the game.  However, Joe Carter doesn't deserve to be grouped into this argument.  Carter could give Albert Frankenstein a run for his money.

Bill Melton is pretty much on the spot with the whitesox. He doesnt make outlandish statements and is pretty grounded.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
We do?  I don't think our offense is close to being World Series caliber.  We won't be facing the KC and Tampa bullpens in the postseason.

The only thing that matters is being one of the four playoff teams and then anything can happen. I think the WhiteSox are in a great position to be there! If the offense was not WS caliber then could you please explain why Vegas odds have us favored to win the AL?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 09:53 PM)

He also said our offense has been bad for a while now, and outside of the injun series we have been scoring runs mainly on homers.  And with that approach its hard to keep consistant. 

This is so hypocritical it's ridiculous. I respect Bill Melton as much as anyone does, just cause he's an ex major leaguer doesn't make him always right. I called you a hypocrite cause Hawk and DJ were talking about how good Miller was tonight but you won't admit that, so I guess you know more then them too right??

By the way, Keith I see you reading this thread, I'm sure wanting to rip on me for the A's comment. We've had this discussion already so you don't even have to bother. :P Though I do enjoy are banters back and fourth since we never agree on anything. :cheers

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:58 AM)
The only thing that matters is being one of the four playoff teams and then anything can happen.  I think the WhiteSox are in a great position to be there!  If the offense was not WS caliber then could you please explain why Vegas odds have us favored to win the AL?

Because Vegas odds are based off of team records. Do you think Vegas gives a s*** about how our offense looks? No, they use statistical measures to develop their odds. However, I do agree with you on something. I just want this team to make the playoffs, and who knows what will happen then. Even if we make the playoffs and lose in the first round, it's better than not making it. We're not the Yankees where if we miss the playoffs, we can just reload and be pretty confident we'll make it the next year.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 09:58 PM)
This is so hypocritical it's ridiculous.  I respect Bill Melton as much as anyone does, just cause he's an ex major leaguer doesn't make him always right.  I called you a hypocrite cause Hawk and DJ were talking about how good Miller was tonight but you won't admit that, so I guess you know more then them too right??

By the way, Keith I see you reading this thread, I'm sure wanting to rip on me for the A's comment.  We've had this discussion already so you don't even have to bother. :P

Bad example. Hawk is a homer and we love him for it. But he is not very objective at all. Every year at Soxfest, this is the best whitesox team I have been around. This is the best soxfest I have been around. INSERT HERE manager is the best at what he does.

Hawk is not a baseball analyst also.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 10:58 PM)
The only thing that matters is being one of the four playoff teams and then anything can happen.  I think the WhiteSox are in a great position to be there!  If the offense was not WS caliber then could you please explain why Vegas odds have us favored to win the AL?

The one thing that gets me extremely excited about the playoffs (if we make them, not getting ahead of myself) is that we'll be playing in cold weather again. That'll make it easier to get by on better pitching and worse offense.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, I feel a little better now.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:58 AM)
This is so hypocritical it's ridiculous.  I respect Bill Melton as much as anyone does, just cause he's an ex major leaguer doesn't make him always right.  I called you a hypocrite cause Hawk and DJ were talking about how good Miller was tonight but you won't admit that, so I guess you know more then them too right??

By the way, Keith I see you reading this thread, I'm sure wanting to rip on me for the A's comment.  We've had this discussion already so you don't even have to bother. :P  Though I do enjoy are banters back and fourth since we never agree on anything. :cheers

Chill, chill. I'm not gonna rip anybody. I have a pounding headache and am basically browsing. And am really pissed about the s*** that happened on the basepaths tonight, about squandering the bases loaded with one out, and about screwing up a damn good outing from our #5 starter. No need to talk about the A's. They keep winning, I'm happy that they're proving everyone wrong, but am pissed that they have a potential shot of winning the WC.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 04:01 AM)
Chill, chill.  I'm not gonna rip anybody.  I have a pounding headache and am basically browsing.  And am really pissed about the s*** that happened on the basepaths tonight, about squandering the bases loaded with one out, and about screwing up a damn good outing from our #5 starter.  No need to talk about the A's.  They keep winning, I'm happy that they're proving everyone wrong, but am pissed that they have a potential shot of winning the WC.

I'd rather play the A's as the Wild Card instead of the Yankees. I think we can shut down the A's line-up, and you know the Yankees will pick up some key parts.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 10:01 PM)
Chill, chill.  I'm not gonna rip anybody.  I have a pounding headache and am basically browsing.  And am really pissed about the s*** that happened on the basepaths tonight, about squandering the bases loaded with one out, and about screwing up a damn good outing from our #5 starter.  No need to talk about the A's.  They keep winning, I'm happy that they're proving everyone wrong, but am pissed that they have a potential shot of winning the WC.

Today sucked. Thankfully tomorrow's game is at 2 and hopefully the sox can make us all feel better.

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 11:58 PM)

Vegas odds are hardly a barometer. The odds are based on where the money is going. How often is Vegas right? Yet, they are always making money.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 11:03 PM)
I'd rather play the A's as the Wild Card instead of the Yankees.  I think we can shut down the A's line-up, and you know the Yankees will pick up some key parts.

If we were to play the A's in the playoffs, I'd seriously consider tying my arms and legs to a chair and drugging myself up. That way I'd prevent myself from breaking anything and/or killing myself.