The AJ Burnett 24 Hour Window Thread

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:59 PM)
What about Honel and his mid 90's fastball??  It seems like Kris never had that good of a fastball but I could be wrong.

No, he always had a nasty knuckle curve. I remember watching that pitch and just going holy crap is that sick. FB wise he rarely cracked the 90's. The big thing is he did have really good control. Since than its gone missing and his velocity went way down.

This year he's made a lot of strides. He's kind of on the radar looking in, but still needs to find his confidence and with that his control. If he can do that he may be able to turn back into the prospect a lot of people thought he once was (still I don't know if he has the bevy of pitches to be much more than a back of the rotation guy or a quality reliever).

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 08:01 PM)
I could use the same poultry analogy with Brandon. Give him more of a chance.

Poultry analogy?

"Don't count your chickens until their hatched?"

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush?"

"Why did the chicken cross the road?"

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 07:00 PM)
Based on the fact that, uhh, he's had prolonged success above the SAL league, maybe? 

Jesus H, I'm a Gio fan as much as anyone, but he hasn't even pitched 25 innings at high-A, and he's getting comparisons to Pedro? GMAFB. 

McCarthy has been, essentially, a two-pitch pitcher this year.  Or that's what I'm hearing -- that he's basically only throwing a curve and a fastball.  His success last year -- again, based upon what I heard/was told -- was based upon the fact that he could throw a fastball, a curveball, or a changeup in any count, that's how confident he was.

Clearly, he's lost a little bit of confidence.  Yet, he's still got a filthy K/9 rate, and is doing a decent job with keeping the BB's down, though not as good as last year. 

I doubt you'll find many organizations whose best pitching prospect has pitched only 25 innings above low-A.

wow, get back on topic. BMAC is in his first year above AA, lets see what he does in a full year to see if he has "prolonged" succes

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 07:03 PM)
Poultry analogy?

"Don't count your chickens until their hatched?"

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush?"

"Why did the chicken cross the road?"

Did you read the post I was quoting? He was talking about chicken being half done not being as good as when it's done. He said that was Gio.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 08:04 PM)
Did you read the post I was quoting? He was talking about chicken being half done not being as good as when it's done. He said that was Gio.

Your quoting of it wasn't in your post.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 06:04 PM)

back to the AJ burnett thing.........

spin him off for wagner or no? if not who would we getting to replace damaso?

Edit: ya know that AJ burnett thing, yea the one that this thread is supposed to be about

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 07:06 PM)
back to the AJ burnett thing.........

spin him off for wagner or no? if not who would we getting to replace damaso?

If it takes Burnett to get Wagner, then sure.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 12:03 AM)
wow, get back on topic.  BMAC is in his first year above AA, lets see what he does in a full year to see if he has "prolonged" succes

Well, you do the same for Gio. At least B-Mac has shown the ability to get hitters out at something above a-ball... And that goes for this year at Charlotte, too, because you don't have 'average' stuff and strike out almost 11 per nine IP...

DAMN Levine for getting us all riled up!! I swear- i had a feeling like a deal would be announced right after today's game. So all Levine did was add a little spice to the speculation. :angry:

Damn YOU Levine for getting me excited to constantly check Soxtalk if anything has happend! Not that i don't love coming to Soxtalk ;)

In fact Soxtalk.com .... YeeEEeeSS!

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 07:50 PM)
Why do I rate him #1, because he's the best in my mind.  He has a good FB (low 90's and climbing), a plus curve and a plus change. 

McCarthy having a "plus" change is news to me. He didn't have any confidence in it at the major league level, and as far as I know he learned it rather recently.

That said, McCarthy is the one #1 starter prospect in the system. At 6'7" 190 and his age, I expect him to: (1) gain 30-40 pounds over the next 5 years, and gain 3-4 mph on his fastball; and (2) learn another breaking pitch such as a cut fastball to take away reliance on his straight fastball.

Burnett is a #3 starter when he's on and has benefitted greatly from pitching in one of the best pitcher's parks in the league.

I'm not real anxious to give up McCarthy for that, especially when signing Burnett is up in the air.

Now, if you told me someone farther away from the big leagues - like Gio Gonzalez - was the man going along with Marte, I'd say giddyup, even though Gio might be a great starter someday.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
McCarthy having a "plus" change is news to me.  He didn't have any confidence in it at the major league level, and as far as I know he learned it rather recently.

That said, McCarthy is the one #1 starter prospect in the system.  At 6'7" 190 and his age, I expect him to:  (1) gain 30-40 pounds over the next 5 years, and gain 3-4 mph on his fastball; and (2) learn another breaking pitch such as a cut fastball to take away reliance on his straight fastball.

Burnett is a #3 starter when he's on and has benefitted greatly from pitching in one of the best pitcher's parks in the league. 

I'm not real anxious to give up McCarthy for that, especially when signing Burnett is up in the air.

Now, if you told me someone farther away from the big leagues - like Gio Gonzalez - was the man going along with Marte, I'd say giddyup, even though Gio might be a great starter someday.

The plan with Bmac is to have him develop a cutter this spring. As far as the changeup goes, its a pitch that Brandon harnessed last season. He changed the grip on it and it basically formented his progress. Unfortunately, its a pitch that hasn't been called much at the major league level. He's not the one calling the pitches, but watch film of his clips in spring training and you'll see his changeup was the big thing.

Stone was talking about it when he was in the booth and Coop has often talked about it being his best pitch. Is he totally confident in it yet, no, but Bmac is a very very picky pitcher who is a perfectionist and because of this it will only get better. The other issue is its not a pitch thats thrown much in Charlotte because quite frankly the place is a bandbox and its a pitch he has lost a little confidence in. That said, he's starting to regain confidence in it and thats going to be the key to him turning into a #1 or 2 starter.

By the way, I agree with the rest of your post.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 06:24 PM)
:notworthy Everyone loves Gio for god knows whatever reason. Don't get me wrong, he's a solid prospect, but he can only hope to be the kind of prospect Brandon is. People see Gio's sweet curve in that draft video and great numbers in Kanny and they think he's the new hotness. Hello! Brandon was better in Winston-Salem than Gio was in Kanny. Brandon led all of the minor in strikeouts and had unreal control and people are saying Gio is the better stuff pitcher and attacks the zone more.

Sorry, this was an off topic post but people need to lay the f*** off Brandon. Any minor league expert would tell you Brandon wasn't ready when he was called up. The Sox didn't have anything better after the 2004 debacle.

Yes but wasn't McCarthy pitching in Kanny at age 21 while Gio was pitching there at age 18? That should be considered.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 07:23 PM)
Nothing new to report?

Same ol?

I have been gone for a bit and havent hear anything after or during the game.

Same 'ol. My personal feeling after the first hour of hearing this was that it wasn't going to happen.

Anyways, I want Griffey.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 07:24 PM)
Same 'ol. My personal feeling after the first hour of hearing this was that it wasn't going to happen.

Anyways, I want Griffey.

I hear alot of talk about getting Griffey, but my question is where do you put him? The only way I can see taking him on is if we find a way to ship Konerko and having him play first base. Sure, Frank's out, but IMO Everett is a better option at DH than Griffey.

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 07:26 PM)
I hear alot of talk about getting Griffey, but my question is where do you put him?  The only way I can see taking him on is if we find a way to ship Konerko and having him play first base.  Sure, Frank's out, but IMO Everett is a better option at DH than Griffey.

I would put Griffey at CF, Rowand to RF, Dye to 1B.

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 08:26 PM)
I hear alot of talk about getting Griffey, but my question is where do you put him?  The only way I can see taking him on is if we find a way to ship Konerko and having him play first base.  Sure, Frank's out, but IMO Everett is a better option at DH than Griffey.

I totally disagree with that statement. To start with, Everett's numbers from the left side are not good. We need someone who can supply power and rbi from the left side. Griffey fits that bill and Everett hasn't. Then, just look at Griffey's numbers this year. Very solid production. He'd be perfect in our line up.