The AJ Burnett 24 Hour Window Thread

AddisonStSox

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
Soriano is on pace for 40 homers. He wouldn't be used to move guys over.

Bingo.

If, in fact, the Sox are thinking about Soriano, they are looking for an RBI/HR type. If Thomas is shelfed, and Lowell isn't included in the "prospective" Burnett deal for whatever reason, the Sox brass may start seriously looking at a big-time slugger.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)
I'm talking about in certain situations.  Just asking can he bunt and/or move runners over.  Like I said, I'd like to get him.

Wonder what it would take?

I wonder. If the Rangers want to get rid of his horrid contract badly enough, he may be available for a bargain.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
I wonder.  If the Rangers want to get rid of his horrid contract badly enough, he may be available for a bargain.

He was available to another team for hardly anything. I forgot the specifics. I think he is arbitration eligible still next season, so the Sox could simply non-tender him at the end of the year if there are financial restraints. Texas is going to waive the white flag here soon, and probably would accept some pitching prospects for him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
He was available to another team for hardly anything. I forgot the specifics. I think he is arbitration eligible still next season, so the Sox could simply non-tender him at the end of the year if their is financial restraints. Texas is going to waive the white flag here soon, and probably would accept some pitching prospects for him.

I dont want to completely exhaust our pitching prospects, but it would take no less than Tracy to get Soriano.

On a side note. My buddy who works for the sox usually knows alot about the goings on in the office, and he wont tell me any s*** that they have been saying. But the mood around there seems to be that we feeling good about the changes that will happen.

All heresay of course.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
He was available to another team for hardly anything. I forgot the specifics. I think he is arbitration eligible still next season, so the Sox could simply non-tender him at the end of the year if their is financial restraints. Texas is going to waive the white flag here soon, and probably would accept some pitching prospects for him.

So, if the Sox can't agree to arbitration terms, or however that works, do we get draft picks?

If that's the case, this may be a real intersting guy to think about.

HEY! That would also mean the demotion of Willie Harris! Ye-Ha!!!! Make it happen Kenny! :D :D :P

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
So, if the Sox can't agree to arbitration terms, or however that works, do we get draft picks?

If that's the case, this may be a real intersting guy to think about. 

HEY!  That would also mean the demotion of Willie Harris!  Ye-Ha!!!! Make it happen Kenny! :D  :D  :P

They wouldn't get picks if he was non-tendered. But if Frank is out, and believe he can't be counted on for the rest of the season, there is a lot worse you could do than add Soriano to your line-up.

Are you insane? Do you have any idea where these two guys have ranked NPERA wise over the past 4 yrs? Buerhle is near the top 10 & Burnett? He's not even in the top 30!

Buerhle >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Burnett.

What Buerhle lacks in speed he more than makes up for with control & change of speed greatness. He's a LH version of Maddux at his prime.

Burnett? He's a .500 pitcher who reminds me more of Alex Fernandez than BlackJack McDowell. I personally would not do this deal unless we are spinning it to Philly to get a stud like Wagner.

It doesn't take that much intelligence in the game to know that the AL will fear Wagner a helluva a lot more than the erratic Burnett.

According to the Eastern Sports Chowda Network ESPN.

Matt (Boston,MA): Where will A.J Burnett be pitching next week?

SportsNation Buster Olney: (11:22 AM ET ) Matt: If I had to guess, I would say the Red Sox; I think that's where Burnett wants to go, from what I hear, and he's got some power to steer this thing because he's a free agent at the end of the year. But if Kenny Williams absolutely decides to go for it, even overpaying, that's how he'll wind up in Chicago. But again, this is such a fluid situation, I wouldn't bet my house on any particular team; Boston is the educated guess, today.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:56 AM)
Are you insane? Do you have any idea where these two guys have ranked NPERA wise over the past 4 yrs? Buerhle is near the top 10 & Burnett?  He's not even in the top 30! 

Buerhle >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Burnett. 

What Buerhle lacks in speed he more than makes up for with control & change of speed greatness.  He's a LH version of Maddux at his prime.

Burnett?  He's a .500 pitcher who reminds me more of Alex Fernandez than BlackJack McDowell.  I personally would not do this deal unless we are spinning it to Philly to get a stud like Wagner.

It doesn't take that much intelligence in the game to know that the AL will fear Wagner a helluva a lot more than the erratic Burnett.

Nobody said that Burnett is better than MB, so relax. PLus you are debating a players who has lead the league in innings vs a player who has been injured most of the last few years, of course the stats are going to support your argument. Wagner isnt available so we can put that one to bed anyway.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)
According to the Eastern Sports Chowda Network  ESPN.

Matt (Boston,MA): Where will A.J Burnett be pitching next week?

SportsNation Buster Olney: (11:22 AM ET ) Matt: If I had to guess, I would say the Red Sox; I think that's where Burnett wants to go, from what I hear, and he's got some power to steer this thing because he's a free agent at the end of the year. But if Kenny Williams absolutely decides to go for it, even overpaying, that's how he'll wind up in Chicago. But again, this is such a fluid situation, I wouldn't bet my house on any particular team; Boston is the educated guess, today.

Everything I hear is that Burnett wants to go somewhere that isn't Chicago. f*** him.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 11:03 AM)
Everything I hear is that Burnett wants to go somewhere that isn't Chicago.  f*** him.

Well, if you were to choose between the two, which one would you pick. I think I'd pick the defending world champs who sell out even on the road.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:03 AM)
Everything I hear is that Burnett wants to go somewhere that isn't Chicago.  f*** him.

im more concerned with where he WILL play than where he WANTS to play

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
Well, if you were to choose between the two, which one would you pick.  I think I'd pick the defending world champs who sell out even on the road.

Not to even mention, USCF is hardly a pitcher's paradise.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 11:11 AM)
Not to even mention, USCF is hardly a pitcher's paradise.

The only thing that is going to save us here is Ozzie, and our clubhouse atmosphere. Whether anyone likes it or not, the Red Sox arent the same team they were last year in terms of their clubhouse character. They have become the main event, the corp love children. And we can still be the f-ups who go out and win under the radar.

Everything I hear, Burnett isn't the GM of the Marlins. They'll take the best offer regardless...

Remember, he is a good friend of Ozzie... :lol:

Edited by RibbieRubarb

The East Coast Chowda and Yank network doesnt think that anyone wants to come here. Last year all we heard is how Garcia was going to be a Yank or a RedSox. Then whammo he is a whitesox. And then he would test FA. Whammo he signs a deal. Money talks more than wants. Every prospective FA talks about how he wants to go here and there. Its called playing your hand.

AJ will be on the southside. Conteras will be in our pen providing yet another power arm. Think of how many strike out guys we will have in our pen.

Marte can take his high flying act to the Marlins.

And the Bosox can kiss my ass.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 11:24 AM)
Everything I hear, Burnett isn't the GM of the Marlins. They'll take the best offer regardless...

Remember, he is a good friend of Ozzie... :lol:

I'm saying the guy seems like he doesn't want to play here. If he doesn't want to play here, he might fall under the title of cancer.

I haven't heard one comment of him saying or hinting at the fact that he'd like to play for the White Sox. On the other hand, I heard a few things about him wanting to play in Toronto or Boston.

When the Phillies say Wagner isn't available, I'm more inclined to believe that means that they won't trade him as a white flag trade. If the Sox got Burnett, why wouldn't Philly be interested in a Burnett/Wagner swap? They have Urbina to close and adding a SP like Burnett would fit a lot better for them. It's entirely possible that a Burnett/Wagner swap could happen.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
When the Phillies say Wagner isn't available, I'm more inclined to believe that means that they won't trade him as a white flag trade.  If the Sox got Burnett, why wouldn't Philly be interested in a Burnett/Wagner swap?  They have Urbina to close and adding a SP like Burnett would fit a lot better for them.  It's entirely possible that a Burnett/Wagner swap could happen.

That is more of what I am hoping will happen with this deal...Wagner makes a lot more sense for the Sox than Burnett does....

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
When the Phillies say Wagner isn't available, I'm more inclined to believe that means that they won't trade him as a white flag trade.  If the Sox got Burnett, why wouldn't Philly be interested in a Burnett/Wagner swap?  They have Urbina to close and adding a SP like Burnett would fit a lot better for them.  It's entirely possible that a Burnett/Wagner swap could happen.

How about JC for Wagner? It still improves their rotation either way. I would rather hold on to AJ and put JC in the pen. And then pick up Villone to solidify the rest of the pen.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
I'm saying the guy seems like he doesn't want to play here.  If he doesn't want to play here, he might fall under the title of cancer.

I haven't heard one comment of him saying or hinting at the fact that he'd like to play for the White Sox.  On the other hand, I heard a few things about him wanting to play in Toronto or Boston.

I don't think AJB would risk hurting his market value by any degree by pulling some clubhouse cancer act. He's obviously looking for a major payday, and a successful run with the Sox in the playoffs would pay HUGE dividends. I.E. Derek Lowe.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)

the phillys would be interested in that, the question is, is the team that acquires burnett gonna be interested in that