Griffey Rumor

Mr. Showtime

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
You heard this on AM 1000?  Is this the same as when Levine was on with Tom Schaer early this afternoon?

I did not personally hear anything so I'm trying to figure out what was said or if there's been an update.  I have a friend of mine who is ready to commit hari kari over this whole situation.

Yes the funny thing was on the Bruce Levine bit on the Thursday Comcast sports show he said this deal was just about dead. THat is what makes this strange.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 07:47 PM)
What, if anything, did Levine have to say on the pregame?

Levine said the Sox upped their offer, but they need Griffey to push for this saying he would like to move on. However, Levine said Griffey told the Sox thanks for offer, but he is going to stay home. The deal appears to be dead, but the Sox offered to pick up more money and Levine said the deal will still be on the table if Griffey changes his mind.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 01:49 AM)
Levine said the Sox upped their offer, but they need Griffey to push for this saying he would like to move on.  However, Levine said Griffey told the Sox thanks for offer, but he is going to stay home.  The deal appears to be dead, but the Sox offered to pick up more money and Levine said the deal will still be on the table if Griffey changes his mind.

So, basically nothing changed. Levine must have had nothing this wknd, and try to generate interest in the viewing audience again.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 06:49 PM)
Levine said Griffey told the Sox thanks for offer, but he is going to stay home.  The deal appears to be dead.

:crying I heard that too. This f***ing sucks. We DESPERATELY need Griffey in the middle of our lineup if we really want to contend for the WS, but the b**** likes playing for a loser instead!!.........The 1 year when I think we have a serious chance to go all the way if we could just get 1 more BIG stick, and nothing. I :pray Griffey changes his mind, but I'm not holding my breath anymore. :banghead

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)
So, basically nothing changed.  Levine must have had nothing this wknd, and try to generate interest in the viewing audience again.

No, if true, everything has changed. Now it's Griffey who killed the trade not the Reds ownership. He doesn't want to play for the Sox, according to this.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 02:10 AM)
No, if true, everything has changed.  Now it's Griffey who killed the trade not the Reds ownership.  He doesn't want to play for the Sox, according to this.

Not really. Griffey Jr. never said he would accept the trade. To me, it sounds like this trade was still never really likely to happen. I just want to know the last time Levine actually had a scoop?

Fine, Griffey, stay on the team where nobody wants you (including the fans) and where you have absolutely no chance to even make the playoffs the rest of your career. You're happy with your millions and millions of dollars playing with no aspirations of ever winning a damn thing. Why would you want to win? You're only a major leaguer.

EDIT: If this is true, it really pisses me off. This pisses me off worse than their owner preventing the trade. Last year it was Delgado and this year it's Griffey. Man, NOBODY wants you on that team.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE(Adam G @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
I heard it, he was on the Tom Sher (sp?) show earlier today where he said just what was posted.  The Griffey rumor is "red hot" right now and he thinks that Griffey might be in a Sox uniform by this time tomorrow.  The players have been agreed on, the Sox bumped up their financial offer, they need Griffey to come out publicly and say he's in favor of this so the Reds' fan base doesnt hate the new management.

you may be right on what was reported, but what was reported is totally wrong. we already hate, no HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! our management and owner and whoever else is involved. and THEY KNOW IT. they are idiots and everyone wants them all gone. so to say that is wrong. they want jr to say it publicly so the casual fan who knows nothing except may go to a game or 2 cause griffey is on the teams wont complain. the smart, hard core reds fans hate the management. have since they were brought in. and while we would like griffey to stay a red, we know its better for our team to trade him or casey and know one wants casey. so there you go. if griffey isnt traded, good, if he is, good. its really win/win for us. if we keep him great, we keep a great player and get to see him set all kinds of records. if we trade him, we free up a lot of salary which hopefully a NEW management will spend wisely. the reason a lot dont want him moved is

A. we are fearfull of what our gm will ask for cause he is a moron

B. we are fearfull of how he will spend the extra money cause he is a moron

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
I was thinking along the same lines.

It would be a near-certainty that Rogo is not included in the deal. 

Spitballing: Young + Honel + Mid-level pitching prospect + Ability to take on a considerable amount of $.

as a reds fan, NO THANKS

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 03:07 AM)
How is it the White Sox were allowed to talk to Griffey? Wouldn't that be tampering? Levine is full of s***, Griffey's agent was on Fox and said he knew of nothing going on.

Yep. To me, it sounds like Levine might have received some overly optimistic information, and was then told something different. Until I hear the Reds ownership is willing to trade him, I'm not going to believe anything will happen.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 03:07 AM)
How is it the White Sox were allowed to talk to Griffey? Wouldn't that be tampering? Levine is full of s***, Griffey's agent was on Fox and said he knew of nothing going on.

Where was it said that the Sox and Griffey talked? Just b/c he 'said thanks, but no thanks', that can just mean that he said it to Reds ownership. And Griffey's agent is an agent, why does he have any reason to disclose info?

I have no idea if it's true, but the story seems plausible.

Off Reds Official website.

Nothing happening: As the White Sox keep losing and Ken Griffey Jr. keeps hitting, the rumors persist that the superstar center fielder is Chicago-bound.

Word out of Chicago on Saturday afternoon was that trade talks between the two clubs were "heating up," though all was quiet on the Reds' side of things.

Reporters didn't even have to ask Griffey about the latest rumblings before he spoke out.

"I'm not going to Chicago," he said.

Then Griffey was in a joking mood.

"I'm not going to offer further comment without the presence of my lawyer," he said with a smile.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
Where was it said that the Sox and Griffey talked?  Just b/c he 'said thanks, but no thanks', that can just mean that he said it to Reds ownership.  And Griffey's agent is an agent, why does he have any reason to disclose info?

I have no idea if it's true, but the story seems plausible.

If it got to the point where Griffey was asked to accept a trade, his agent certainly would know about it. He also said Griffey told the Sox he was flattered, that would require communication, someone other than Bruce Levine certainly would know and would have reported this development. No one has. I'm sorry, but Levine himself staked his reputation to the Sox signing Omar Vizquel. You can think its plausible and it may be, but I'm not buying it. I think he jumped the gun and realized it, so he tried to squirm his way back.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 03:27 AM)
If it got to the point where Griffey was asked to accept a trade, his agent certainly would know about it. He also said Griffey told the Sox he was flattered, that would require communication, someone other than Bruce Levine certainly would know and would have reported this development. No one has.  I'm sorry, but Levine himself staked his reputation to the Sox signing Omar Vizquel. You can think its plausible and it may be, but I'm not buying it. I think he jumped the gun and realized it, so he tried to squirm his way back.

I still want to know the last time Levine has some actual "scoop"?

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 03:29 AM)
Well, f*** the Reds.  Maybe they should take a look at the standings before putting up an article about another team losing.

Well, Chicago does keep losing. They're almost tied with Cincinnati in terms of their record.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 03:27 AM)
If it got to the point where Griffey was asked to accept a trade, his agent certainly would know about it. He also said Griffey told the Sox he was flattered, that would require communication, someone other than Bruce Levine certainly would know and would have reported this development. No one has.  I'm sorry, but Levine himself staked his reputation to the Sox signing Omar Vizquel. You can think its plausible and it may be, but I'm not buying it. I think he jumped the gun and realized it, so he tried to squirm his way back.

His agent would know, doesn't mean he'd tell. And Griffey telling the Sox anything could just mean the Reds comes to him with a trade, he responds, 'I'm flattered, but no thank you', and it's his 'response to the Sox.' Doesn't mean he literally talked to the Sox.

I'm not sticking up for Levine in general, the whole Vizquel thing he plain screwed up. And whatever the details, Griffey ain't coming here. But I don't think we can yet say much about his comments on this.

Edited by jackie hayes