Brian

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
I love your enthusiasm, and especially when you back it up with baseball knowledge and personal observation.

I hope you are right about this game Jason.

It also helps that Widger is behind the plate, imo. I should add, Sox are going to put up a few runs this inning. This is gonna be a Sox whooping tonight and I think the double hitter and getting to see so many pitches in one day is really going to help this club.

JD with a bomb as I'm typing this :cheers

QUOTE(the southside tiger @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:36 AM)
Dont even joke. Ozzie would do something like that.

I know, he already has. It was just a joke to try and lighten the mood around here. It's scary when I'm not even close to being the most pessimistic poster today. Way to go JD!

IMO, that changeup is comparable to Pedro Martinez's with its sinking motion. If this Volquez can locate his fastball in the future he'll be a decent starter for Texas. Fastball doesn't have any movement, but if he touches 96 consistently there's no need for that.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:38 AM)
Not to make the obvious understatement but the White Sox need this game BADLY.  Biggest game of the year so far.

Yes it is. When you have a 7 game lead and a DH that day, if you don't lose any ground, you should be content.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
That changeup is almost comparable to Pedro Martinez's, IMO. If this Volquez can locate his fastball in the future he'll be a decent starter for Texas. Fastball doesn't have any movement, but if he touches 96 consistently there's no need for that.

This kid has good stuff. The odd thing is that thus far it hasn't exactly translated into dominating numbers (especially surpising for a kid who has good control those type of guys usually can put up sickening numbers).

Still, Rangers have to like his potential, but I know I've read a few places that some see his potential in the bullpen (as a closer).

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 04:40 PM)
One thing I've noticed is that we're doing a terrible job of drawing walks.  We get to a 3-2 count, and we swing at a ton of pitches out of the zone.

They got one for you, maybe Juan will shock us and get one too :)

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:38 AM)
It also helps that Widger is behind the plate, imo.  I should add, Sox are going to put up a few runs this inning.  This is gonna be a Sox whooping tonight and I think the double hitter and getting to see so many pitches in one day is really going to help this club. 

JD with a bomb as I'm typing this :cheers

Enjoy this game. Something was I going to type last night was that as bad as it seems right now with the Sox, at least every game means something. Who knows, maybe we'll be 20 games out at this time next season, and trading away some of our favorite players.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 07:40 PM)
One thing I've noticed is that we're doing a terrible job of drawing walks.  We get to a 3-2 count, and we swing at a ton of pitches out of the zone.

Promptly 2 straight walks, I love how that kinda thing works.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:43 AM)

I know, it figures it would be Uribe. My post dealt more with drawing walks on a full count. I would never, ever throw a Sox player a 2-2 fastball or even a 3-2 fastball.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)

He does :cheers

Do you consider bunting Pods right here even though it means you have 2 outs for Guchi? I know its not the smart thing to do, but I like the odds of a single scoring two and I think Guchi is about as clutch of a hitter as the club has.

Come on Pods :snr

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:44 AM)
He does  :cheers

Do you consider bunting Pods right here even though it means you have 2 outs for Guchi?  I know its not the smart thing to do, but I like the odds of a single scoring two and I think Guchi is about as clutch of a hitter as the club has. 

Come on Pods :snr

He's struggling with his control. The last thing you do is give up an out by bunting. Also, it's not like Iguchi has been getting hits with RISP lately.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
He's struggling with his control.  The last thing you do is give up an out by bunting.  Also, it's not like Iguchi has been getting hits with RISP lately.

Good point on the control aspect. But I gotta admit, I'm so comfortable when Guchi is up with runners on. He's just such a smart hitter. I don't know what the stats say though.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:46 AM)
Good point on the control aspect.  But I gotta admit, I'm so comfortable when Guchi is up with runners on.  He's just such a smart hitter.  I don't know what the stats say though.

I'm pretty sure in the last few months, he's in the low 100s with RISP.