Ponson Released

CanOfCorn

Just read it on ESPN's Transactions page.

Now that's what I call screwing the pooch. You know the GMs were sitting around waiting to cut him AFTER September 1st to really kick him out the door. Now no contending team can have him on their post-season roster (not that they would anyway).

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)

Now that's what I call screwing the pooch.  You know the GMs were sitting around waiting to cut him AFTER September 1st to really kick him out the door.  Now no contending team can have him on their post-season roster (not that they would anyway).

Padres still probably would've picked him up.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
a team with an injury will most likely pick him up and use the injury as an excuse to put him on the roster, if need be.

I dont think there is any scenario in which Ponson could qualify for postseason. Of course, he could pitch in the next month, but i am fairly sure he isnt eligible to play in the playoffs(correct me if I am wrong).

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)

Now that's what I call screwing the pooch.  You know the GMs were sitting around waiting to cut him AFTER September 1st to really kick him out the door.  Now no contending team can have him on their post-season roster (not that they would anyway).

The Baltimore Orioles have to be the happiest team in the world to be out from under that contract.

The Orioles most likely will have to pay most of the $11 million they owed him on the contract. The Rockies did the same thing to Denny Neagle and wound up settling with him by paying him $16 million of the $19 million left on his contract. Sidney will probably get at least an $8 million parting gift. I would imagine someone would give him another chance, but with that recent DUI, you never know.

Every player on the 40-man roster signs a standard contract that includes a morals clause, paragraph 3(a), that reads: "The Player agrees to perform his services hereunder diligently and faithfully, to keep himself in first-class physical condition and to obey the Club's training rules, and pledges himself to the American public and to the Club to conform to high standards of personal conduct, fair play and good sportsmanship."

The Orioles believe Ponson violated that rule.

"It relates to his alcohol-related conduct over a period of time," Smouse said.

This should be interesting.