Game Thread Angels vs Sox 9/9 7:05

Controlled Chaos

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
Big series this weekend, but as long as the Sox don't get swept, no reason to really panic if we lose a few games.  I'm not going to be in the game thread for the next two days, so I'll say it now  "PULL HIM OZZIE!". Go White Sox!

You forgot, "why the f*** is damaso coming in" ok, now you're set :P Like Tony said I'm very excited for this series, there's definitely a chance this could be the first round matchup. Both teams play similar games should be a very fun, exciting, low scoring series.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 09:06 AM)
We'll see Marte frequently this series with G. Anderson on the Angels.

Garret Anderson has been absolutely terrible lately...fighting a recurrence of some arthritis he suffered from a few years ago I believe. It's been weeks since he's done anything productive. Good guy to put Marte in against, IMO.

Go Get em Mark! We need ya tonight...we've absolutely got to take 2/3 in this series or better.

The Angels have gotten themselves into contention several years in a row by pitching well, moving runners over, playing defense and having timely hitting.

We've done the same thing this year...and we've done it better than the Angels on almost every front.

It's time to make another statement boys.

:gosox3: :gosox2: :gosox3: :gosox2: :gosox3:

The LA Times had a "20/20 hindsight" article this morning talking about our future closer...i figured you guys would enjoy it...there's a Colon update also...if he can't pitch, the replacement starter has changed.

For all the heat General Manager Bill Stoneman has taken this season for signing Steve Finley and letting Troy Glaus go, there were two other under-the-radar winter decisions that panned out just as poorly.

The Angels will be reminded of one tonight when they play the Chicago White Sox, whose bullpen includes flame-throwing right-hander Bobby Jenks, a former Angel prospect who was claimed off waivers in December and has emerged as one of Chicago's primary set-up men.

"That's one of the things I've been looking forward to since being called up" from double-A Birmingham in July, Jenks told Chicago writers Thursday. "It was one of the first things I looked at, to see when the Angels were coming to town."

While the Angel bullpen has lacked quality depth all season and entered Thursday with a 4-11 record and 10 blown saves in 23 chances since the All-Star break, Jenks compiled a 2.16 earned-run average in his first 20 games with the White Sox. He struck out 31 and walked 10 in 25 innings, his fastball occasionally hitting 100 mph.

Jenks, as well as hard-throwing right-hander Derrick Turnbow, would have been fine additions to the Angel bullpen this season, but both were left unprotected on the 40-man roster last winter. Turnbow was claimed by Milwaukee and is 6-1 with a 1.73 ERA and 29 saves in 58 games as the Brewers' closer.

"You look at a lot of things when you make those decisions, and you're not always right," Stoneman said. "Sometimes you win on those guys, sometimes you don't. [Former Angel shortstop David] Eckstein was a waiver claim, as well. We've been on both sides of it."

Jenks was considered one of the Angels' top pitching prospects but had several off-the-field problems, some of them alcohol-related, and tested the Angels' patience with his immaturity.

He also pitched in only three games for triple-A Salt Lake last season before suffering a season-ending elbow injury. Jenks underwent surgery in May 2004 to have several screws inserted in his elbow.

Turnbow's history of elbow problems also contributed to his departure, but some still questioned the wisdom of not retaining two potential power arms on the 40-man roster while protecting catchers such as Wil Nieves and Josh Paul and pitchers Tim Bittner, Matt Hensley and Scott Dunn.

"You make your decision at a certain point of time with the best information you have," Stoneman said. "Once you start second-guessing yourself, you're going to be in a lot of trouble. There were a lot of factors that went into it, but I'm not going to get into the details of any of them."

If ace Bartolo Colon (pain in lower back) can't make Saturday's scheduled start against the White Sox, rookie left-hander Joe Saunders — and not Kelvim Escobar — will probably pitch.

Escobar, who could emerge as one of the Angels' primary set-up men, warmed up in the eighth inning Thursday night, and Manager Mike Scioscia said he would be available in relief tonight.

"He could be a valuable piece to the bullpen, and you'd hate to bypass that for an opportunity to start Saturday," Scioscia said of Escobar.

rookie left-hander Joe Saunders — and not Kelvim Escobar — will probably pitch.
:o

I have a bad feeling about that one.

But first things first.....

Looking forward to seeing the green unis tonight.

The Sox will wear green pinstripe uniforms tonight with green caps and helmets as the team celebrates ''Half Way to St. Patrick's Day.'' Irish-themed entertainment will take place throughout the park. The team plans to auction the green uniforms for charity, with details to be announced.

Sox are 4-2 v. Anaheim this year. Although, most of that the Halos were Vlad-less.

:gosox1: :gosox2: :gosoxretro: :gosox4: :gosox3:

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)

Sox are 4-2 v. Anaheim this year.  Although, most of that the Halos were Vlad-less.

:gosox1:  :gosox2:  :gosoxretro:  :gosox4:  :gosox3:

Seriously though...as a person who gets the LA Times...I think it's actually fairly safe to say that the Angels offense hasn't dramatically improved since the time they got Vlad back.

Finley has been terrible all year.

Anderson has taken a step back over the last month (and oftentimes, you can basically walk Vlad if the situation allows without much concern)

Cabrera has never gotten it going

McPherson (the kid who single handedly beat Contreras in 1 of those 2 losses) is hurt

They have basically been without a DH all year

Lately it's been Vlad or nothing...and he had at least 1 streak of about 60 at bats without a home run that ended this week.

Faith and Begorrah and a White Sox Winner tonight!!!!!!!

Of course we will win this series. I caught this little focker running around my house and I told him he could have his lucky charms if he eigthy-sixed the rally monkey.

CS003_LUCKY_CHARMS.jpg

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
:o

I have a bad feeling about that one.

But first things first.....

Sox are 4-2 v. Anaheim this year.  Although, most of that the Halos were Vlad-less.

:gosox1:  :gosox2:  :gosoxretro:  :gosox4:  :gosox3:

I think we have an answer for Vlad. Check out these numbers over the last month

H/AB R H HR RBI SB BB AVG OPS

29/92 21 29 6 15 5 22 .315 1.038

31/96 17 31 8 15 0 9 .323 .998

Whose numbers are these you ask?? Well the top one is Vlad and the bottom one is none other than our very own Paul Konerko.

I know we don't compare Kong with Vlad, but If Paulie can cancel him out...I like our chances with the rest of our offense against the rest of theirs.

:gosoxretro: :gosox4:

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)
I think we have an answer for Vlad.  Check out these numbers over the last month

H/AB R  H HR RBI SB BB  AVG OPS

29/92 21 29 6 15 5 22 .315 1.038

31/96 17 31 8 15 0    9  .323 .998

Whose numbers are these you ask??  Well the top one is Vlad and the bottom one is none other than our very own Paul Konerko.

I know we don't compare Kong with Vlad, but If Paulie can cancel him out...I like our chances with the rest of our offense against the rest of theirs.

I keep asking this in ESPN chats and not getting posted (I wonder why...) at the start of this month, all the talking heads on ESPN said that the MVP in the AL would probably be decided by whoever steps it up in September like Vlad did last year.

Thus far...out of the big names in the AL, the only one who's stepping it up and carrying his team on his back to a lot of wins is our own dear Paulie. He's closing in on the lead in home runs, he's driving his average way up there, and his team is winning. So what else does Konerko have to do to at least get his name mentionned in that talk?

Actually we're 4-3 against them.

Sneak Peek

|

|

|

V

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 11:51 AM)
Faith and Begorrah and a White Sox Winner tonight!!!!!!!

Of course we will win this series.  I caught this little focker running around my house and I told him he could have his lucky charms if he eigthy-sixed the rally monkey.

CS003_LUCKY_CHARMS.jpg

slainte

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 02:59 PM)
Ozuna, 3B

Iguchi, 2B

Everett, LF

Konerko, DH

Rowand, CF

Dye, RF

AJ, C

Uribe, SS

Blum, 1B

Buehrle, LHP.

:gosox1: Shamrock%20n%20stuff.jpg

Anytime i see Blum's name in the lineup i want to :puke . Where's Gload?? He hits very well against LH's :huh: