Ozzie Guillen

fathom

The Sox are not the same team we saw rack up a 15 game lead in the central and there is absolutely no indication that they will be again, no matter how hard we wish it. I'm not conceding dick. I have no way of predicting the future. But something has really gone south on this team...BAD. I just don't know what it is. :banghead

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 03:39 AM)
Ozzie's in a slump

Ozzie started using his pitchers way too long the first week after the ASB, when he left Garcia in the game until the 9th inning against the Tigers in a game that he had thrown a ton of pitches and had nothing left. Since then, he's been very hesistant to trust the bullpen.

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 09:38 PM)
Maybe they need better players who can execute better, what a concept that might be.

The lack of execution ultimately does fall on the players. Most noteable lack of concentration occured in the 9th when Dye bobbled two balls and allowed the advancement of two KC players.

I don't blame Guillen solely for tonight's loss, but I do criticize his fascination with leaving Garcia in until trouble arupts. It's happened before in previous starts.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 11:42 PM)
Ozzie started using his pitchers way too long the first week after the ASB, when he left Garcia in the game until the 9th inning against the Tigers in a game that he had thrown a ton of pitches and had nothing left.  Since then, he's been very hesistant to trust the bullpen.

Very overlooked fact. FACT. Our starters have ALL been left out there way too long, and as we come down the stretch, the gas tanks are empty...

Well, these are Ozzie and KW's players.  That's one thing they have no one to blame for but themselves.

2 run lead going into the 9th, your closer gets the first out then falls apart and they lose the game. Blame the player, he's the guy who didn't get it done. You blame the manager after every single loss.

I mentioned this in the game thread but I forgot people stop reading those after the game

I'm an Ozzie fan but have you noticed how Tony La Russa is able to get his teams to keep their foot on the pedal even though they have nothing to play for? That's the difference between great managing and a good manager who doesn't have the experience.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)
The Sox are not the same team we saw rack up a 15 game lead in the central and there is absolutely no indication that they will be again, no matter how hard we wish it. I'm not conceding dick. I have no way of predicting the future. But something has really gone south on this team...BAD. I just don't know what it is.  :banghead

Right now, all I can do is sit there and hope that this game was just so bad, that it hurt that team so much to watch it as it crumbled beneath them, that it will give them the swift kick in the ass that they need right now. There's no fire in this team. Not when your starting pitcher surrenders 7 runs to the Royals.

These guys need a wake up call. Maybe tonight will be it.

1 of 2 things will start to happen tomorrow. This game will be the rallying point that makes this team re-focus and slam back on the accelerator, or this game will mark the beginning of the end for this team.

It has to be gut check time right now. For the whole group. Either stand up and be counted, or sit down on your couch in October.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 10:40 PM)
Well, these are Ozzie and KW's players.  That's one thing they have no one to blame for but themselves.

Oh yes. Lets blame them for having the best record in the AL (and MLB for most of the year).

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 03:45 AM)
I mentioned this in the game thread but I forgot people stop reading those after the game

I'm an Ozzie fan but have you noticed how Tony La Russa is able to get his teams to keep their foot on the pedal even though they have nothing to play for? That's the difference between great managing and a good manager who doesn't have the experience.

You bring up a good point. Didin't Hawk fire LaRussa? I now blame the Hawk for this debacle :bang

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 03:44 AM)
2 run lead going into the 9th, your closer gets the first out then falls apart and they lose the game.  Blame the player, he's the guy who didn't get it done.  You blame the manager after every single loss.

Considering I said I don't blame him for the Hermanson debacle, I think you're out of line. Get off my back, because unlike a lot of people who are free falling off the bandwagon, I've been voicing my complaints about Ozzie's managing all season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 10:14 PM)
All I'm going to say is that if the Sox don't make the playoffs, I hope that he gets fired.  I'm not blaming him for Hermanson's debacle, but this game should have never been this close.

FATHOM, here we go again. We scored 9 RUNS, and we had Garcia pitching against the lowly Royals. Now that we lost the game, you BLAMED Ozzie for the lost! Seriously, how old are you? Your statements are very childish!

Without Ozzie, this team DEFINITELY will not be leading AL Central division right now. You want to come back to Jerry Manuel???

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)
Ozzie started using his pitchers way too long the first week after the ASB, when he left Garcia in the game until the 9th inning against the Tigers in a game that he had thrown a ton of pitches and had nothing left.  Since then, he's been very hesistant to trust the bullpen.

Yes I know, I was merely talking about his handling of the team overall. That's where he is slumping. The "I gotta get outta here" comments and the Marte situation are just small examples of how Ozzie has seemed to have lost control...

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 03:43 AM)
Very overlooked fact. FACT. Our starters have ALL been left out there way too long, and as we come down the stretch, the gas tanks are empty...

Remember how much Dusty got blasted when the Cubs starters collapsed in 2003? This is just as blatant.

QUOTE(S720 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 03:49 AM)
FATHOM, here we go again.  We scored 9 RUNS, and we had Garcia pitching against the lowly Royals.  Now that we lost the game, you BLAMED Ozzie for the lost!  Seriously, how old are you?  Your statements are very childish!

Without Ozzie, this team DEFINITELY will not be leading AL Central division right now.  You want to come back to Jerry Manuel???

Says who? BTW, I was blaming Ozzie for this game being so close well before Hermanson s*** the bed. How can so many people not understand our argument that Ozzie let the Royals have a chance in this game by letting Garcia start the 6th?

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 03:51 AM)
Yeah Hawk fired Tony. Weird too because Hawk says Latin managers are the best. Tony must have learned how to manage from 85 to 2005:)

Amazing it only too him 20 years to make it as the team leader :chair

Fathom, you are amazing.

Freddie our highest paid pitcher has to go six fricking innings.

Blame the players!

You want him to play the relief game that early?

Maybe so but Freddie was pathetic. I really truly believe he should donate tonight's salary 100,000 or whatever it is to Hurricane Relief.

He can't win with 9 runs when we need a win with Cleveland never losing! disgrace.

QUOTE(S720 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 08:49 PM)
FATHOM, here we go again.  We scored 9 RUNS, and we had Garcia pitching against the lowly Royals.  Now that we lost the game, you BLAMED Ozzie for the lost!  Seriously, how old are you?  Your statements are very childish!

Without Ozzie, this team DEFINITELY will not be leading AL Central division right now.  You want to come back to Jerry Manuel???

He deserves a helluva lot of credit for the record, just as he deserves a helluva lot of blame for not getting this team back on track. I mean really, they've been in a f'n slump since the first of August. Turning up the music in the locker room and telling everyone to have fun ain't f***ing working anymore.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 10:51 PM)
Ozzie, once again, left Garcia in too long.  For whatever reason, the Sox seem to love to hire managers that are absolutely clueless when it comes to handling pitchers.

And that "clueless" manager is turning this team into one of the best this year. Okay, let's go back to Jerry Manuel's era, shall we?