If we somehow miss the postseason

KipWellsFan

QUOTE(bigred3535 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 03:15 PM)
During the pregame interview with Konerko today, he just looked plain tired. DJ asked him a couple questions about the clubhouse and he kind of sighed and said they weren't all that happy right now. And this is coming from the only guy who seems to be playing well...it certainly looks as if the Sox players may be growing tired of Ozzie's act already.

Losing will do that. When you're not winning, it's just not fun. We all know that here.

This team wins a couple of games...and all of a sudden, everyone will feel good.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 05:22 PM)
I was thinking about that. I think the chances of OG resigning are far greater than him getting fired. That day trip to Miami may be a sign of a crack in the armour. There was that issue with his heart in spring training which turned out not to be serious, but it would make you think. He's stated several times he doesn't need the money, maybe he may just decide he doesn't need the headaches that go with managing a major league team.

Not sure I agree about Ozzie resigning. Unfortunately, he is here for another year. But taking off to FL and leaving behind the problem reaks of a Michael Moore conspiracy. Farenhiet 13 anyone?

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
Not sure I agree about Ozzie resigning.  Unfortunately, he is here for another year.  But taking off to FL and leaving behind the problem reaks of a Michael Moore conspiracy.  Farenhiet 13 anyone?

Yeah I don't think its likely, but its far greater a possibility than he being handed a pink slip.The one thing is, if the Sox don't make the playoffs, someone has to and someone will be held accountable, and it isn't going to be Damaso Marte.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
Keep Ozzie, lose Joey Cora. WTF is up with that guy lately? Carl gets a late sign and overruns third. AJ gets waved home and is thrown out easily after a double clutch by the second baseman. Not even close.  :huh

He held up a guy either last night or the night before after someone was thrown out, that there may not even have been a play on. He's made a couple of costly decisions, and its obviously weighing on his mind right now.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
Keep Ozzie, lose Joey Cora. WTF is up with that guy lately? Carl gets a late sign and overruns third. AJ gets waved home and is thrown out easily after a double clutch by the second baseman. Not even close.  :huh

Cora needs the Old Yeller treatment too

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
Just ask the Cubs how this season went for them after having a nasty collapse at the end of their 2004 season.  Bring back Dusty and Hendry did that franchise no good at all.

The Cubs didn't fix the clear problems they had at the end of last year - bullpen, wounded starting pitchers, Center Field, and then were surprised that those problems remained.

Hopefully, if this keeps up, KW will at least do something about it. If this keeps up...KW goes on probation for me. He gets 1 year to turn it around.

Ozzie won't get fired. His in game decisions suck ass and IMO he deserves to at least get demoted to bench coach(because he does bring motivation). As I said before, at least Dusty has proven to me that he could take talent far. Ozzie hasn't. The way he manages pitching sucks more than the way Dusty does considering Dusty's pitching usually doesn't wear out until the playoffs. We aren't even there yet. Also, Dusty will start his opening day lineup more than twice in the season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
Just ask the Cubs how this season went for them after having a nasty collapse at the end of their 2004 season.  Bring back Dusty and Hendry did that franchise no good at all.

I agree with your point, and to take it even further...imo, it's much easier to lose a 3-1 lead in the NLCS than it is to lose a 15 game lead in less than 2 months or 5 games off your lead in a f***ing week or dominate an entire half of the season only to fall flat on your f***ing faces for 80+ games. As a manager, it's difficult to get a team on track in a matter of 3-4 days (playoffs and Dusty), whereas a manager who has 3 months to get a team straight and fails to do so has proven his inability to manage effectively (Oz).

Incidentally, I fully approved of Oz's hiring. I thought he brought everything that Manuel didn't bring to the table. He does have the fire, but apparently that wasn't all that our White Sox needed to succeed.

QUOTE(bigred3535 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 05:15 PM)
During the pregame interview with Konerko today, he just looked plain tired. DJ asked him a couple questions about the clubhouse and he kind of sighed and said they weren't all that happy right now. And this is coming from the only guy who seems to be playing well...it certainly looks as if the Sox players may be growing tired of Ozzie's act already.

I'm telling you, this chemistry crap is over. Besides the obvious, something is wrong behind closed doors.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 07:05 PM)
I agree with your point, and to take it even further...imo, it's much easier to lose a 3-1 lead in the NLCS than it is to lose a 15 game lead in less than 2 months or 5 games off your lead in a f***ing week or dominate an entire half of the season only to fall flat on your f***ing faces for 80+ games.  As a manager, it's difficult to get a team on track in a matter of 3-4 days (playoffs and Dusty), whereas a manager who has 3 months to get a team straight and fails to do so has proven his inability to manage effectively (Oz).

Incidentally, I fully approved of Oz's hiring.  I thought he brought everything that Manuel didn't bring to the table.  He does have the fire, but apparently that wasn't all that our White Sox needed to succeed.

:notworthy The 2 chokes aren't even in the same ball parks of comparison.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 01:46 AM)
I'm telling you, this chemistry crap is over. Besides the obvious, something is wrong behind closed doors.

So you're saying this team has bad chemistry now? I just want to see our players have fun out there. So many guys look so afraid to mess up out there, that their focus just seems a little off.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 01:48 AM)
:notworthy    The 2 chokes aren't even in the same ball parks of comparison.

Yeah....no one cares about the White Sox in the national media, while the Cubs 2003 team was a travelling circus. I think Cubs fans will have a lot harder time getting over their collapse than us Sox fans would if this team doesn't make the playoffs.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)
Yeah....no one cares about the White Sox in the national media, while the Cubs 2003 team was a travelling circus.  I think Cubs fans will have a lot harder time getting over their collapse than us Sox fans would if this team doesn't make the playoffs.

I'm not talking about how tough it is to get over it, just which would be a bigger choke.

I've repeated since the trading deadline past July 31st Williams would receive blame, as unfair as it may sound, for failing to add a valuable offensive player at the deadline.

It doesn't matter whether or not teams were demanding ridiculous packages for their players. What does matter--and this will become White Sox lore if we blow this lead--is 2005 was the year general manager Kenny Williams failed to upgrade a questionable offense midseason. Due to lack of offensive consistency and fatigued started pitching, the White Sox.....(goes on from here depending on final 18 games)

You have to ask yourself if this team does collapse and does miss a playoff birth who deserves blame. I just don't believe any scenario which suggests complacency towards management or players. How can anyone justify a team choking away a 15 game lead without distributing blame? Such a monumental choke has never happened for a reason.

What's a shame (or perhaps blessing; depending on outcome) is this is basically the same lineup, pitching staff KW will trot out next year. They better avoid a collapse for the sake of Williams. How would he justify keeping the same lineup from the year of a monumental choke?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 08:52 PM)
Also, the Sox have been struggling most of the 2nd half, as they just haven't been playing very good/smart baseball.  On the other hand, it was in a matter of about 25 GLORIOUS hours that saw the Cubs choke away Games 6 and 7.

Are you saying that since the Sox are falling apart slowly and over a long period of time, it can't be called a choke?

I've repeated since the trading deadline past July 31st Williams would receive blame, as unfair as it may sound, for failing to add a valuable offensive player at the deadline.

Great point Flash Tizzle. Those of you who wanted a deal sure were right.

I did not want a deal, falling for the chemistry crud, and I was wrong.

We definitely needed a spark. I know KW couldn't really make a deal without giving up too many valuable prospects, but ...

I kind of wish Oz would have kept playing Anderson in retrospect after that two homer game of his. It seems we needed one pitching spark (McCarthy) and one hitting spark (Anderson, borchard) and because we didn't make a deal, got neither.

Now I hate the fact no matter what we do it fails.

We bring in Jenks instead of Hermy, we'll lose.

We bring in Hermy, we'll lose.

We take out Fred after six, Viz will get rocked; we leave Fred in, he'll get rocked.

It's Murphy's Law right now.