We're getting coverage NOW!

FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
And everybody thought a Cubs World Series win would be the undoing for what remains of this teams fanbase. I am willing to bet that this will do more damage to this team than anything the Cubs ever did could do to us.

If we do collapse 100%...boy...that will be FUGLY.

Well considering how many times we have f***ed ourselves with the strike and the white flag trade, this will match up well with both of those.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)
Well considering how many times we have f***ed ourselves with the strike and the white flag trade, this will match up well with both of those.

The white flag wasn't anything that people outside of our team and baseball really cared about. This is attracting people in a way like the home run chase did. This will transcend the game...as odd as that might be.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 11:45 AM)
The white flag wasn't anything that people outside of our team and baseball really cared about. This is attracting people in a way like the home run chase did. This will transcend the game...as odd as that might be.

well, i'll be optomistic about his for one second, if the Sox can actually get their s*** together, make the playoffs and even advance it can be a huge positive

This is great though. Whenever we get into our next penant chase, ESPN will always be able to run their story about the 2005 White Sox. This team will go down in history, one way or another.

The strike or white flag stuff is so minor compared to this. It's not a Bartman incident or a Ligue incident either. Finally something to draw people to remember this baseball team for something (bad) it did on the field.

I think he means in how it effected this particular team. The strike hurt all of baseball. It may have hurt our fanbase a bit more due to Jerry, but this is directly the team.

If this team collapses, it almost feels like all of the players will have to be let go and we will need to rebuild completely, just so there are no reminders of this left. Extreme, I know, but it just feels that way kind of.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 12:02 PM)
do you think america will start having sympathy for the sox  like the lovable cubbies?

No. My wife went into a bar the night Crede hit the game ender. The whole bar was pulling for a Sox loss. When Crede did it, the place let out a collective "awww". The Sox will be a laughing stock, and the nation will love hating them more than they do.

Think about it, doesn't it feel like we have no love at all. It even feels like our own division would rather see the Indians win over the Sox. The only people that do like, and ever will like our team, are the fans.

edit...the bar was NOT a Cub bar. No sports stuff anywhere. It was just a bar.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
I think he means in how it effected this particular team. The strike hurt all of baseball. It may have hurt our fanbase a bit more due to Jerry, but this is directly the team.

If this team collapses, it almost feels like all of the players will have to be let go and we will need to rebuild completely, just so there are no reminders of this left. Extreme, I know, but it just feels that way kind of.

That's the big question. If this team does fall apart and doesn't make the playoffs how many people could you keep around? Could you keep Ozzie and KW, or would the damage be too great?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)
That's the big question. If this team does fall apart and doesn't make the playoffs how many people could you keep around? Could you keep Ozzie and KW, or would the damage be too great?

Ozzie and Kenny are safe, I would bet. I don't know why, but I just get the feeling that the organization is looking at this as a complete player failure.

I think it all depends on how Ozzie handles it and what the actual collapse is... if they make the WC a lot of this will be covered up, but if they totally collapse and Ozzie goes on a complete tirade they may have to get rid of him.

I think there will be articles and tv coverage, but a lot would be different if when you turned on the TV Oct. 4 the Sox are playing at Yankee Stadium in the playoffs

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
All I know is that I want to be at Soxfest to see what goes down. I think Ozzie and Kenny are in for a big suprise.

Surprise? From listening to them talk I think they know everyone is pissed, and are plenty pissed of themselves. I don't think there will be much surprise involved at all.

In my opinion, should the worst happen and this team not make the playoffs, even as a wild card, Ozzie Guillen will be done as manager. I cannot find too much fault with KW. He took a big gamble in the Pods trade and it paid off until Scotty got hurt, and as far as the lack of a deal at the deadline, it just was not a buyers market at all. Not a lot of fault with KW, too much of the blame goes to Ozzie for him to be the manager next year.

Although technically it probably is one, I wouldn't considerate a collapse if the Sox made the playoffs as the wild card. I work with a couple of Cub fans who are getting a huge kick out of the results of the past couple of weeks. One of them insisted that if the Sox didn't win the division, but won the wild card and World Series, it still would be a bigger gag than any of the Cubs choke jobs. I used to think he had a brain.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
No. My wife went into a bar the night Crede hit the game ender. The whole bar was pulling for a Sox loss. When Crede did it, the place let out a collective "awww". The Sox will be a laughing stock, and the nation will love hating them more than they do.

Think about it, doesn't it feel like we have no love at all. It even feels like our own division would rather see the Indians win over the Sox. The only people that do like, and ever will like our team, are the fans.

edit...the bar was NOT a Cub bar. No sports stuff anywhere. It was just a bar.

Kid you're right on and I've felt like this for a long time, not just during this past month.

I don't know what it is about the Chicago White Sox that not only makes people indiffernt towards them, but people actually dislike them and root against them. You can't say it's an arrogant fan base, yet at the same time say we have no fans.

We're never really had any abrasive Bonds type personalities on the team.

We don't win year after year. What is it?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
Kid you're right on and I've felt like this for a long time, not just during this past month.

I don't know what it is about the Chicago White Sox that not only makes people indiffernt towards them, but people actually dislike them and root against them. You can't say it's an arrogant fan base, yet at the same time say we have no fans.

We're never really had any abrasive Bonds type personalities on the team.

We don't win year after year. What is it?

I believe much of baseball still uses that damn year of 1919 for some reason. Honestly. How often do people STILL say "yeah, but they threw a World Series, they're cheaters". I still hear that one used all the time, even though EVERYBODY from that time period is dead.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
I believe much of baseball still uses that damn year of 1919 for some reason. Honestly. How often do people STILL say "yeah, but they threw a World Series, they're cheaters". I still hear that one used all the time, even though EVERYBODY from that time period is dead.

Well actually Dick Clark is still alive...

If the Sox do fail to make the playoffs, there will be such hatred from the fans for what happened that the best step the organization could do would be to fire the person who's pissing the fans off the most, Ozzie. Who knows, maybe the fan backlash would make JR open up the checkbook and bring in a superstar this offseason? Who the f*** am I kidding!