Chicago @ Boston - ALDS Game 3

Heads22

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bats3280 @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 08:50 AM)
i just checked, looks like the rain won't be an issue for the game!

go sox!!

:gosox2:

Where did you check? ESPN radio keeps saying that there is a 30-40% chance of showers

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
Where did you check?  ESPN radio keeps saying that there is a 30-40% chance of showers

weather.com

its not supposed to rain there until later evening.

check out the map in motion... :cheers dopplar radar!

We need to get off to a quick start offensively. Its hard to catch Boston in Fenway. Freddy likes having a 2-3 run cushion to work with. So my keys are:

1. Quick start offensively

2. Freddy keeping the ball down

3. Stay aggresive- steal the bases, move the men over, hit and run exe.... We have nothing to lose.

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
a little rain can only help the whitesox today.  it will take the crowd out of the game and could get us to the shabby piece of jackcheese bosox bullpen.  the only thing hitting the monster harder than us today should be the rain...

Rain will NOT take the crowd out of the game. They had a long rain delay against the A's near the end of the season this year, just about every fan stayed and were loud as f*** even while it was comming down. I highly doubt a little rain will silence them.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 08:54 AM)
We need to get off to a quick start offensively. Its hard to catch Boston in Fenway.  Freddy likes having a 2-3 run cushion to work with. So my keys are:

1. Quick start offensively

2. Freddy keeping the ball down

3. Stay aggresive- steal the bases, move the men over, hit and run exe.... We have nothing to lose.

Agreed on all. Think this one's coming down to the bullpens. Last year, Ozzie left Freddy in too long against Bosox and he squandered a late lead with the help of Damaso.

Please win today Sox, so I can have a nice, relaxing weekend. :gosox1: Stay aggressive.

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
a little rain can only help the whitesox today.  it will take the crowd out of the game and could get us to the shabby piece of jackcheese bosox bullpen.  the only thing hitting the monster harder than us today should be the rain...

Apparently you missed our trip out there in August where the damn Boston fans sat in the rain and went on to cheer them to a win both Friday and Saturday and waited out the delay and cancellation on Sunday...?

Those fans don't leave.

Apparently, they are expecting very heavy rain in Boston all day tomorrow. If game 4 is necessary and gets washed out tomorrow, everything gets pushed back 1 day. If game 5 ends up being necessary, it would be played on Monday and Wells, because of the extra day's rest, would pitch that game 5, not Clement.

We need to get this over with ASAP. I don't want to face Wells in a game 5. He took a tough, tough loss in game 2. He'll be amped for a game 5.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
Rain will NOT take the crowd out of the game. They had a long rain delay against the A's near the end of the season this year, just about every fan stayed and were loud as f*** even while it was comming down. I highly doubt a little rain will silence them.

no, but it will mess with the grip on the knuckler, and may impede its movement.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 11:27 AM)
no, but it will mess with the grip on the knuckler, and may impede its movement.

I found this on a Weather-related message board, thought it might be interesting to some out there.

"Some basic baseball physics:

1) Humid air makes a ball with a given initial speedl carry FARTHER. The idea of a ball "dying on a humid night" comes from reduced elasticity of the core of a baseball under humid conditions. Because of this, the velocity of balls leaving bats on humid nights decreases, so even though the ball carries farther at that velocity than on a dry day, the decreased velocity is such that on humid nights, batted balls don't go as far.

But a knuckleballer doesn't deal with this, since he's not batting the ball, he's throwing it. In fact, the time it takes for the knuckleball to go from mitt-to-mitt (or bat) is so short that humidity isn't affect its velocity.

A knuckleball works by inducing turbulent motion over the seams of the baseball that, in turn, moves the ball via the Bernoulli effect. A great knuckleballer like Wakefield makes the ball rotate approx 1-1.5 times en route fom mound to plate. This rearranges the orientations of the seams perfectly on the way to the plate to make the direction of the Bernouli force "flip" in the last 15 feet, creating a 2nd break that, due to its proximity to the batter, appears sharp and unpredictable. The difference b/w a major league knuckleballer and you and I is that he can control the rate and direction of this subtle spin, and therefore, has a modicum of control over the double-break.

Humidity is only a factor with the knuckleball if it cause the ball to stick to the fingers, because if the rotation of the ball is SLIGHTLY off, as in, it rotates 2-2.5 times on the way to the plate, the turblent flow never develops and all you have is a 65-70mph straightball. A strong tailwind can inhibit the development of the necessary turbulence over the surface of the ball, and a gusty crosswind can make the turbulence/Bernoulli force unpredictable and varying. A light headwind allows for the strongest Bernoulli force to operate on the ball, yet still keeps the behavior semi-predictable (essentially, you're getting an extra oomph of break, without having to throw the ball harder). This is important because one of the reasons the knuckleball is thrown slowly is to allow time for the double break to develop; if it was thrown faster, to get the requisite rotations to induce the double-break to occur, the rotation rate of the ball would be fast enough to that turbulent flow wouldn't develop and the ball wouldn't flutter. A single-break hard knuckleball can be thrown (see: Jared Fernandez) but is less effective."

The only argument can make to his analysis, is that he is too quick to discount the fact that Humidity messes with the grip. I seem to remember that Wilbur Wood wasn't nearly as effective in damp or rainy weather, the grip on a knuckleball and the release are everything.

I'm not worried about getting to Wakefield today, and even if he's on there's a decent chance we'll see their bullpen. So it's really on Freddy, he's got to keep them from teeing off on us, we can't assume we'll have a 5 run inning again tonight. A nice low scoring game will deffinitely favor us more tonight than a slugfest.

Great imformative post. The wetness does mess with the grip, which could cause a tighter grip, which causes more rotation.

I have said it a couple of times on this site, when i played ball, the knuckler was probably the only decent pitch I had. Being that I wasnt a pro, the weather conditions and wind always had an effect on the grip and the float of the ball. Just an FYI.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 12:36 PM)
Great imformative post.  The wetness does mess with the grip, which could cause a tighter grip, which causes more rotation.

I have said it a couple of times on this site, when i played ball, the knuckler was probably the only decent pitch I had.  Being that I wasnt a pro, the weather conditions and wind always had an effect on the grip and the float of the ball.  Just an FYI.

yeah, with a knuckler if the grip is just a few hundreaths of an inch off, or the release point just fractions of a second different the entire effect can be lost.

throwing one correctly probably requires more "feel" than any other pitch in baseball, and it would only be common sense that damp or humid conditions will make the ball feel different in the pitchers hand than normal dry conditions.

i wouldn't feel bad if we lost today because Wakefield had his good knuckleball. if he does, there isn't much you can do about it, and you can't really feel down, no one can hit an effective knuckleball pitcher when that pitch is working. maybe the only concern would be the effect of having a bad day against a guy throwing that junk would be on our hitters the next day.

for now i'm just hoping our luck holds out and Wakefield can't find the good stuff and we hit the hell out of him. (then i can start worrying about what a 3 day layoff is going to do to our momentum :) )

Go Sox! 2 hours to the most important game of my lifetime(so far).

Did you all see this from Reifert?

Sound Byte

Center fielder Aaron Rowand wore a microphone for MLB Productions during Game 1 of this series.  The results had the producers from MLB Productions roaring.  "This might have been the best stuff of the season," one told me.

During the game, Aaron dove back into second base (to a thud), was involved in a slide at home plate, and then ran headlong into the left center field fence.

After colliding with the fence, Aaron was heard to mutter to himself, "Wow, that hurt.  That really, really hurt."

When I told him today about how much MLB enjoyed his comments, Aaron laughed.  "I didn't even remember I had the mike on.  I was just talking to myself."

Earlier this year, as the Sox were going through a particularly tough inning, Rowand leaned into the mic and muttered, "Uncle."

i'm wearing my Crede jersey-shirt for the 4th time in 5 days.

Monday at the Rally, Tuesday at the game, Wednesday at home watching the game, and now Friday at work.

of course it hasn't been washed.

you understand, superstisitions....right?'

(just thought i'd share that with all of ya'll)

GO SOX

:gosox3:

One of my superstistions is I cant tell anyone my superstistions or they are no good anymore :bang Having said that, I know exactlly what you mean :cheers :gosox2: :lolhitting :sweep: