Who Would you rather have the Sox face

LDF

After the rash of injuries to the Cards plus the Astros' dominant Big 3 (+ Lidge), I was all for the Sox playing the Cards. However, one of my Cardinal friends pointed out to me one interesting stat. Yadier Molina has thrown out like 63% of would be basestealers. In addition, Carpenter has only allowed one stolen base all season... a fluke to Derek Lowe. This would definitely cut into our style of play with Pods' legs seemingly healthy again. So for me, it's back to a toss up.

QUOTE(caffeinated @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 01:47 AM)
Chico's Bail Bonds

+5 Cool Points for the Bad News Bears reference.

Seriously though, I don't really wanna see Petitte, Oswalt and Clemens goin against us. I'd rather face St. Louis.

QUOTE(kwill @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 12:15 AM)
Yeah, I want the best team.. In fact, I want the cards when they are healthy so we can clealy show we are the best team!!!

You would have to wait awhile for them to be healthy. Maybe they get Nunez back though. Too bad this is the third postseason where Rolen is out or playing very hurt (last year). Great player, he could use the stage to showoff a bit

I would rather have Houston for a few reasons. First, if St. Louis wins, that means they enter the Series with three straight wins and a lot of momentum. Also, being in last year's series, they already have experience with the pressure and pagentry. They will get right down to the business of erasing the bitter taste last years series left. Finally, here in Springfield, the media would approach it from the Cardinal fan's point of view, whereas if Houston is involved, the Sox will be the media preference.

Gimme Houston

SFF

well this is an easy call to make! STL. 2 reasons only!

1. Mark Greasywanker - 2nd Bagger

2. Julian Tavarez - Bullpen blower

Both used to be on the CUBS!

Lets look at the other guys who helped us get to the WS:

1. Matt Clement (BOS) former cub

2. Jeremy Gonzalez (BOS) former cub

3. Tony Gaffanino (BOS) former sox

4. Josh Paul (ANA) former sox

Edited by whitesoxmanager

No matter who we play it is going to be a tough series. It doesn't matter who we face IMO. Yes the Astros pitching is awesome, BUT so is ours. Yes St. Louis has an awesome offense. But didn't we already shut down the scariest offense in baseball? (Boston that is)

No matter who we face, it will be a tough series.

Who ever it is: May the better team be the World Champion!

well this is an easy call to make!  STL.  2 reasons only!

1.  Mark Greasywanker - 2nd Bagger

2.  Julian Tavarez - Bullpen blower

Both used to be on the CUBS!

Lets look at the other guys who helped us get to the WS:

1.  Matt Clement  (BOS) former cub

2.  Jeremy Gonzalez (BOS) former cub

3.  Tony Gaffanino (BOS) former sox

4.  Josh Paul (ANA) former sox

Cal Eldred (STL) - former Sox

Ray King (STL) - former Cub and current fatass

Edited by SSH2005

I'd rather face Houston--

Runs Allowed: Houston 609, St. Louis 639

Runs Scored: Houston 693, St. Louis 805

Houston just isn't the offensive team that St. Louis is, and the Cardinals' pitching isn't that much worse.

Even more importantly:

Carpenter vs. CHW - 7-1, 1.97 ERA (and that's when he was just OK with Toronto)

Mulder vs. CHW - 5-1, 2.47 ERA

Clemens vs. CHW - 17-8, 3.35 ERA (higher than his career ERA), 3.94 ERA at the Cell

Pettite vs. CHW - 10-7, 4.30 ERA (higher than his career ERA), 3-6 with 6.33 ERA at the Cell.

GO ASTROS

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 11:58 AM)

Runs Allowed:  Houston 609, St. Louis 639

Runs Scored:  Houston 693, St. Louis 805

Houston just isn't the offensive team that St. Louis is, and the Cardinals' pitching isn't that much worse. 

Even more importantly:

Clemens vs. CHW - 17-8, 3.35 ERA (higher than his career ERA), 3.94 ERA at the Cell

Pettite vs. CHW - 10-7, 4.30 ERA (higher than his career ERA), 3-6 with 6.33 ERA at the Cell.

GO ASTROS

Being in Champaign means that there are lots of Cardinal fans around, so I have watched a good amount of Cardinals baseball in the playoffs. yes this is a team that was scary offensively during the regular season, but currently, beyond the top of their order they don't scare me in the least. Eckstein is a pest, Edmonds is a good hitter, and no one needs to say anything at all about Pujols. I'm not sure if Rolen will be back for the World Series and am too lazy to look that up, but even if he is, it should take time for him to get his timing back. Reggie Sanders has been hitting cleanup on this team, and while he has had a good postseason is certainly a guy that can be pitched to and Larry Walker is not what he once was. The rest of the lineup is not as good as the bottom of the Sox lineup.

I think the main reason I do not want the White Sox to face the Astros is because of that bandbox they call a baseball park. The Astros hitters use that short porch in left with dangerous efficiency (see Berkman's homerun in game 5 off Carpenter) and that really frightens me. I feel that the park gives the Astros a significant homefield advantage that the Cardinals do not have. Since the Sox are a very good road team, I don't want to play where that advantage may be mitagated.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)
I think the main reason I do not want the White Sox to face the Astros is because of that bandbox they call a baseball park.  The Astros hitters use that short porch in left with dangerous efficiency (see Berkman's homerun in game 5 off Carpenter) and that really frightens me.  I feel that the park gives the Astros a significant homefield advantage that the Cardinals do not have.  Since the Sox are a very good road team, I don't want to play where that advantage may be mitagated.

I don't know, Paulie seems to like hitting to left quite a bit. I'm happy with him having a go at that area. I think our hitters will benefit much better with that park's lay-out. I expect that Rowand would LOVE the chance to run up that stupid hill they have there.

Our team is designed to win a game where we only score a few runs. History tells us we suffer against pitchers we are not familiar with. Well, that takes out their two big guns.

As for the fans there taking a team out of the equation, it didn't work the other night...at all.

It's going to be a REAL tough Series and I am expecting a full 7 games. I hope it only goes 5 with us on top, due to my having a Filmfest I am throwing on the 29th.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 05:58 PM)

Runs Allowed:  Houston 609, St. Louis 639

Runs Scored:  Houston 693, St. Louis 805

Even more importantly:

GO ASTROS

When I see Barbara and George Bush behind home plate at Minute Maid, I want the Astros to lose big time.

But when you look at postseason ERA, Carpenter, Mulder, and Morris are better than Oswalt, Clemens, and Pettitte. And I think Clemens and Pettitte are seriously overrated as postseason pitchers. Pettitte's career postseason ERA is 4.05, with 250+ baserunners in under 190 innings. Clemens career postseason ERA of 3.54 is half a run worse than his career as a whole. And both of them have ERA's in the mid-4's this postseason.

I also agree with the point about Yadier Molina. We're probably better off against a team we can run on. And Lidge is useless if the Astros don't have a late lead. We're a front running team, and I see no reason why we couldn't continue that in the World Series.

So, on paper, the Astros are pretty clearly the weaker opponent, but the beauty of it is that they are perceived as the stronger opponent.

And wouldn't it be nice to kick some Republican Texas booty!!

Pick your poison: Houston has excellent starting pitching and is tough at home while St. Louis has the best hitter in baseball, good starters and a catcher that can shutdown Pods....

I'll choose St. Louis as I'd like to see the best team from each league duke it out in the World Series....