PAUL FUCKING KONERKO

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
realistically, what do you think he's looking for? He's 29 so I think he's looking for a MINIMUM four year contract that probably starts off in the 12-15 mil range and goes up.

Any other thoughts?

Paulie is gonna command and collect much more paper than that.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
he's not going to make Vlad money -- he's not an MVP candidate. He doesn't hit over .300.

I dont know hes getting pretty close to being able to get Vladdy money. He was the ALCS MVP and with a relatively weak free agent market for power hitting first basemen he will get a lot of dough waived at him by NY, Aneheim, Boston etc. Lets hope he wants to stay at somewhat of a "discount" price.

QUOTE(Balance @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
I wonder if we're going to be eligible for a "hometown discount."  Because I don't know if we're going to match some of the offers that are sure to come out of NYY, LAA, etc...

I think after that home run though he should have a lot of potential for endorsement income in Chicago. If he goes to NY or LA, that probably doesn't exist to the same extent. Not exactly a hometown discount.....but it could be an advantage.

QUOTE(sin city sox fan @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)
I think after that home run though he should have a lot of potential for endorsement income in Chicago.  If he goes to NY or LA, that probably doesn't exist to the same extent.  Not exactly a hometown discount.....but it could be an advantage.

Well, that and the fact that he'd pretty much be the King of Chicago along with Ozzie, Joe, and the pitching staff. Maybe that would carry some weight....

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
he's not going to make Vlad money -- he's not an MVP candidate. He doesn't hit over .300.

Thing is though, he's been the best player on the biggest stage. Carlos Betran's stats last year during the regular season were very good, but nothing special (batted .267 with 38 homers and 104 RBI's).

Now, I realize that Pauly and Beltran are two completely different players, and Beltran is a 5-tool player that many teams would kill to have, but I'm willing to bet that the monster contract he recieved from the Mets would have been a lot smaller if it weren't for the unreal postseason that he had.

Either way, the one thing we know for sure is that Pauly is going to get a pretty fat contract when the season is over, and I'm pretty sure he would have been alot cheaper had it not been for his amazing run the past few weeks. And when all is said and done, its going to be hard not to give him that fat contract after what he's accomplished.

Add this... What does Steinbrenner value most? Answer: post-season production. Steinbrenner's gonna break the bank on Paulie.

I agreed with KW and Jerry in not giving Paulie $12 million per year before the season. Paulie had not earned that kind of cash yet. And, who'd a thought he'd do this? Now, having bet wrong their going to have to pay out. This one could easily require $15-$16 million over 5 years now. That's less than some of these MVP guys who haven't done crap in the post-season. If I were Paulie's agent that's what I'd be thinking.

Call me crazy but Steinbrenner might offer Paulie $100 million over the length of a contract.

There's no way I see PK going to NY. I think the only teams in this derby are the Sox, Angels and DBacks (if they can unload Glaus and Gonzo). I can see Paulie staying put with a fair contract offer from KW...but being close to home would also be appealing to him as well.

My worry is if/when the Sox win the WS....Paulie pretty much tells himself...I can't do any more here or even remotely top this.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
There was an article in the paper last week where Paulie's dad said the hometown discount is gone.  That Paul would love to stay in chicago, but they're going to have to pay now or something along those lines.

I think it was from the Sun times...maybe someone can find it.

Can't blame him one bit, but I hope he does give the Sox the first shot to make a decent offer. PK, the grass isn't always greener on the other side (especially without Roger Bossard around).