Free agent resource.

qwerty

Here is something I found interesting on Ben Maller...One local report Thursday indicated the ChiSox might be willing to trade second baseman Tadahito Iguchi to the Marlins in exchange for Marlins counterpart Luis Castillo.

Posted December 2, by Ben Maller

i have to admit that this is one of the worst ideas i have heard all offseason

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
Here is something I found interesting on Ben Maller...One local report Thursday indicated the ChiSox might be willing to trade second baseman Tadahito Iguchi to the Marlins in exchange for Marlins counterpart Luis Castillo.

Posted December 2, by Ben Maller

We don't have to worry about that happening anymore since castillo is a Twin now.

Sidney Ponson - S - Orioles

Free agent Sidney Ponson is telling teams he would prefer to start, but would close under the right circumstances.

A friend of Ponson's told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal that the right-hander has stopped drinking, lost weight and grown his hair out. We were skeptical, but if he's really grown his hair out, a four- or five-year deal would seem to be appropriate.Dec. 2 - 5:12 pm et

Source: FOXSports.com

:lolhitting

I mean since he grew his hair out, he should at least be considered as a target for us.

Sidney Ponson - S - Orioles   

Free agent Sidney Ponson is telling teams he would prefer to start, but would close under the right circumstances.

A friend of Ponson's told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal that the right-hander has stopped drinking, lost weight and grown his hair out. We were skeptical, but if he's really grown his hair out, a four- or five-year deal would seem to be appropriate.Dec. 2 - 5:12 pm et

Source: FOXSports.com

he looks too much like jenks and jenks is better

Angels signed Carrasco to a 2 year deal worth 6.1 million. The Angels plan on having him compete for the 5th starters spot. He pitched very well for the Nationals last season.

I don't think this would be a bad contract (if the Angels planned on leaving him in the pen) but there is no way in hell this guy is going to be any kind of a starter. They better hope Jared Weaver pitches his butt off in spring training and earns the 5th spot.

The Angels also signed Tim Salmon to a minor league contract.

Missing out on Konerko didn't hurt too much because they still have Casey Kotchman and Kendry Morales. But they could lose both Paul Byrd and Jarrod Washburn and may be replacing one of them with Hector Carrasco? Brutal.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
Missing out on Konerko didn't hurt too much because they still have Casey Kotchman and Kendry Morales.  But they could lose both Paul Byrd and Jarrod Washburn and may be replacing one of them with Hector Carrasco?  Brutal.

Unless they plan on picking up another starter, than thats the plan (and its an awful one, imo). Carrasco would be a great addition if they just let him relieve. He could come in and spell Donelly, Shields, and Krod.

Problem is they have pulled there offer for Paul Bryd (meaning the odds of him going to Cleveland are greater) and they are not going to offer Washburn a contract.

They seem content on improving there offense and relying on there rotation. If Escobar and Colon are 100% all season, there is nothing wrong with that, but I don't know if they will be.

Colon, Escobar Lackey (when healthy) is not a bad top 3 but than you have Santana (a solid 5th, but the Angels will be asking him to develop into a 4th this year and he has the stuff for it). Than you rely on Weaver, Saunders or Carassco for your 5th spot. That just doesn't seem wise, especially considernig the payroll.

The Angels are spending too much money on there hitters (guys like Erstad, Finley and Anderson...all 3 of whom are drastically overpaid). I think Anderson is the worse of all 3 (considering he's signed to a long term deal) and if I could unload him in the Manny Ramirez deal, I'd do it (I don't know if the Red Sox would do that straight up, but I sure as hell would if I were the Angels).

As of right now I stick to what I've said for a long time. Bill Stoneman is an idiot of a GM who has no idea what he's doing. He continually gives out bad contracts (Cabrera, Anderson, and Steve Finley) and he is slowly turning the bullpen (which was the big reason they won the series) into something thats mediocre (they need some good arms there and he's done nothing to fix that). I will give him a defense on the Anderson contract because no one knew that he would end up having that arthiritic back problem.

Problem is they have pulled there offer for Paul Bryd (meaning the odds of him going to Cleveland are greater) and they are not going to offer Washburn a contract.

Looks like the Royals, of all teams, are offering Byrd the most money:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13316520.htm

Byrd watching

The high-priority quest to reacquire free-agent pitcher Paul Byrd led the Royals to extend a three-year offer believed to approach $22 million. The package approximates the contract signed recently by pitcher Esteban Loaiza with Oakland.

Byrd, who turns 35 today, was 12-11 with a 3.74 ERA last season for the Los Angeles Angels, who withdrew an $11 million offer over two years Friday before signing Hector Carrasco.

Texas, Baltimore and Cleveland are known to be interested in Byrd, but the Royals are the only team, to date, known to be offering a three-year deal. At least one other team is believed to have offered $16 million over two seasons.

Byrd produced the best overall season of his 10-year career while pitching for the Royals in 2002 at 17-11 with a 3.90 ERA. His 17 victories are the most by a Royals pitcher in the last 12 years.

I wonder why no one has made a push at Washburn. He's a lefty whose not very hold. He's puts in his innings and had a 3.20 ERA last year (albeit not a record to brag about).

He may be the one guy thats a little under-valued at this point of FA (that or he's asking for a ridiculous contract).

I wonder why no one has made a push at Washburn.  He's a lefty whose not very hold.  He's puts in his innings and had a 3.20 ERA last year (albeit not a record to brag about).

He may be the one guy thats a little under-valued at this point of FA (that or he's asking for a ridiculous contract).

He would make so much sense for the Brewers. Washburn wants to go back home to Wisconsin and the Brewers need a good starting pitcher. Too bad the Brewers are so damn cheap.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 01:52 PM)
I wonder why no one has made a push at Washburn.  He's a lefty whose not very hold.  He's puts in his innings and had a 3.20 ERA last year (albeit not a record to brag about).

He's a poor man's Mark Buerhle. Considering what some other very mediocre pitchers are getting, its amazing this guy isn't getting the interest, unless he and his agent are flying under the radar.

George Offman of the Score is reporting that Rafael Furcal will choose his team by noon tomorrow. The Dodgers are offering him 3 years and almost $40 million. The Cubs are offering him 5 years and almost $50 million. Furcal likes the idea of being a free agent again in 3 years while he's still in his prime but he's not leaning towards either team right now. Apparently, the Braves are out of the picture.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 06:57 PM)
Heard somewhere, I believe on ESPN Radio today, that Royals are also in the lead for Jaque Jones at 3/15

Only 5 per year? WTF! Perhaps KW can clear some room (Marte) and pick Jones up. I wouldn't mind having him in LF....or in center actually.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)
Only 5 per year? WTF! Perhaps KW can clear some room (Marte) and pick Jones up. I wouldn't mind having him in LF....or in center actually.

Jacque Jones in 2005.

.249/.319/.438.

That's a .757 OPS for a corner OF. Plus he had a .617 OPS against lefties, so you'd have to platoon him.

For comparison's sake, Aaron Rowand had a .736 OPS, and you know he wasn't good offensively in 2005, besides his "CLUTCHINESS".

But some team desperate for an OF will give him $5M. That won't be us however.

Mets Are Said to Be in Talks for Marlins Catcher

The Mets have extended offers to the top two free-agent catchers, but it is becoming increasingly likely that they will fill their catching void by trading for Paul Lo Duca.

They are involved in "very serious" discussions with the Florida Marlins about acquiring Lo Duca, according to a baseball official who was granted anonymity because he did not want to jeopardize the negotiations.

The official said he did not know whom the Marlins would receive, but at this point they may not be picky. In cutting payroll, they are searching for young, cheap talent, along the lines of the two midlevel prospects they acquired from Minnesota on Friday in exchange for second baseman Luis Castillo.

Edited with link: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/sports/b...all/04mets.html

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
He's a poor man's Mark Buerhle. Considering what some other very mediocre pitchers are getting, its amazing this guy isn't getting the interest, unless he and his agent are flying under the radar.

I just read in a NY paper Washburn is rep'd by Boras. He is looking for $9 million a year for 5 years.

not sure where to put this...but i didnt think it needed its own thread...so ill just put it in FA resource, even tho it was a trade rumor....was being the key word

per gammons....

The White Sox said they were interested in Vazquez, but the Diamondbacks wanted to tie Glaus to him.