Couch says: Sign Frank for $3M

JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
Talks are Thome to Minnesota believe it or not if Philly eats the majority of the 46 mil for 3 years.  Aso hears Torri HUnter to NYY for Robinson Cano out there.

If Konerko doesnt sign, Id expect to see Dye at 1B and Anderson in RF

If these moves were to happen I would kill Thome just so he wouldn't kill the sox...ok not really but damn that would suck.

According to Torri Hunter, "If you can't beat them, join them." :P

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
The Phillies would probably ask for Jenks in any trade to replace Wagner. I highly doubt we get Thome or Howard.

we would be idiots to trade jenks for wagner. wagner is past his prime. jenks is just beginning. stick with the kid baby!

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 01:52 PM)
I don't see the Phillies trading Howard, but I could see them trading Thome.  And after the beat downs he put on the Sox for years, I could see the Sox being interested in him if there were some money put up by the Phils.  With a new GM, they are going to be interested in makes some moves and putting a new stamp on that team.

in case you forgot...

THOME = BUM

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
in case you forgot...

THOME = BUM

If by "bum" you mean a guy who has had one year in the last 10 that was below 30 homers and 120 games played, then yes he is a bum. But then again with all of that insight and indepth analysis of your reply it might have gotten lost in there.

I'll pass. This team doesn't need Frank Thomas starting at DH. That is not an upgrade and it is known the Sox need to upgrade the DH position (Everett was > than Thomas and Carl was one of the worse DH's in the AL). If I were told Frank would be healthy, sure, but thats not the case and they need to find themselves a full time, very good DH, and that persons name is not Frank Thomas.

Frank Thomas is no longer an everyday player, case closed. He aught to go to Tampa Bay where he can swing for the fences and get his 500 hr's. I love and appreciate what Frank did, but if the Sox are depending on Frank getting healthy and being our DH, than well, quite frankly, we won't be defending our title next year.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 12:49 PM)
If you find a way to trade for Billy Wagner this offseason I'll give you 10 bucks.

I'll add in 100 and I know I'll never give any of it up. Wagner is a FA so the only option is to sign him (I think you may have been referring to this Rowand, but not sure).

oh.. I didn't know posting a .905 OPS in the limited playing time you got was good.

Compare that to Carl's last year (or this year, whichever you want to refer to it as).

We shouldn't have Frank and no backup plan, but I dont think there is a doubt in my mind as to whether or not we should bring him back.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
I'll add in 100 and I know I'll never give any of it up.  Wagner is a FA so the only option is to sign him (I think you may have been referring to this Rowand, but not sure).

Oh look at you big man... "I'll add in $100... bla, bla, bla..." :rolly

PS.. that Theo thread reply.. that was HOT! :wub:

:lolhitting

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
oh.. I didn't know posting a .905 OPS in the limited playing time you got was good.

Compare that to Carl's last year (or this year, whichever you want to refer to it as).

We shouldn't have Frank and no backup plan, but I dont think there is a doubt in my mind as to whether or not we should bring him back.

This team just won the world series. Its not a time to be nice and cuddly and just relax. Its a time to make an upgrade and do whatever you can to give your team the chance at defending the crown. Next season is going to be harder, every single team will be gunning for us.

Resigning Frank and finding another lefty gives the Sox nothing better than they had this year, which was Carl Everett. People, get your heads out of your butt and realize Frank is not going to be healthy for an entire season, heck, you'll be lucky if he's heatlhy for half a season. A world series team can't pin its hopes (especially one with a not so great offense) on a DH that will only play half the season.

It needs to make an upgrade, a guy like Mark Texiera (probably best case and I can't see a chance in hell of it happening because the Sox aren't going to deal any starting pitcher not named Duque this offseason), however Carlos Delgado is an option. Manny Ramirez could be an option. Brian Giles could be an option.

These are all guys that have a history of being healthy and flat out producing. Frank Thomas hasn't put up a seasons worth of production in a couple years and there is no reason to thing he's going to be able to do so next year.

I expect the Sox to resign Konerko or find a similar player to him (via trade or FA) as well as to sign or trade for a very good DH (doesn't necessarily have to be a full time DH either). Anything else will be a dissapointment in my mind.

The Sox had one major flaw during the season and it was DH, this off-season they will see payroll increase and they need to fill that one hole (not that others won't open up, cause injuries and guys just not playing to their capabilities are always possible).

In any season in which Frank has had more than 105 AB's, he has posted a ridiculusly high OBP, and if he can just get on base with someone like Konerko after him, run production will go up.

And if Frank can hit 12 HR's in 105 AB's while having one good leg, I'm pretty sure he can do just as good, if not better, with two healthy ones.

And again, we shouldnt go into next year with Thomas as our only DH choice. That would be downright foolish. But we should give him a shot to prove he can still hit, as he did prove in his brief stint this year.

And if all else fails, we can trade for Carl at the trading deadline again.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 05:37 PM)
This team just won the world series.  Its not a time to be nice and cuddly and just relax.  Its a time to make an upgrade and do whatever you can to give your team the chance at defending the crown.  Next season is going to be harder, every single team will be gunning for us. 

Resigning Frank and finding another lefty gives the Sox nothing better than they had this year, which was Carl Everett.  People, get your heads out of your butt and realize Frank is not going to be healthy for an entire season, heck, you'll be lucky if he's heatlhy for half a season.  A world series team can't pin its hopes (especially one with a not so great offense) on a DH that will only play half the season. 

It needs to make an upgrade, a guy like Mark Texiera (probably best case and I can't see a chance in hell of it happening because the Sox aren't going to deal any starting pitcher not named Duque this offseason), however Carlos Delgado is an option.  Manny Ramirez could be an option.  Brian Giles could be an option. 

These are all guys that have a history of being healthy and flat out producing.  Frank Thomas hasn't put up a seasons worth of production in a couple years and there is no reason to thing he's going to be able to do so next year. 

I expect the Sox to resign Konerko or find a similar player to him (via trade or FA) as well as to sign or trade for a very good DH (doesn't necessarily have to be a full time DH either).  Anything else will be a dissapointment in my mind.

The Sox had one major flaw during the season and it was DH, this off-season they will see payroll increase and they need to fill that one hole (not that others won't open up, cause injuries and guys just not playing to their capabilities are always possible).

I agree with everything.

Thomas coming back, while I see it happening, will be as a major PR move to appease many of his apologists. He is no longer a top tier player or even a middle tier player. Sure he hit a lot of home runs this year, but that is all he did. He hit for a low average, he can't run the bases and he is a liability if for some reason he has to play the field. He is clearly not the player he was five years ago. He is nowhere even close to that.

Resigning Konerko is pivotal to the offseason plans. If you lose him, I think you have to dangle Garland out there for a bat. Otherwise, you could be stuck with Dye at 1B and Anderson in RF and with no reliable DH. If we had a reliable DH, I wouldn't mind Dye and Anderson, but I don't really see us having one. You almost have to trade a guy like Garland to grab a bat. So first, you gotta concentrate on signing PK first and foremost.

Now, let's say we lose PK. This is when my Ryan Howard theory comes in... You don't necessarily have to deal B-Mac to grab him. Philly would consider Garland I'm sure or even other prospects if they felt they were major league ready. I don't see us getting Howard, but he would be on the top of my list.

The next tier of players you go after includes Chad Tracey and Lyle Overbay. My top priority becomes Overbay. You throw him at 1B, Dye stays in RF and Anderson could split time at DH.

Even if we resigned PK, I would look at Overbay as a DH option, same goes for Tracey.

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
In any season in which Frank has had more than 105 AB's, he has posted a ridiculusly high OBP, and if he can just get on base with someone like Konerko after him, run production will go up.

And if Frank can hit 12 HR's in 105 AB's while having one good leg, I'm pretty sure he can do just as good, if not better, with two healthy ones.

And again, we shouldnt go into next year with Thomas as our only DH choice.  That would be downright foolish.  But we should give him a shot to prove he can still hit, as he did prove in his brief stint this year.

And if all else fails, we can trade for Carl at the trading deadline again.

Frank has been given a shot the past couple years. He hasn't been healthy, now is the time to say goodbye. Sure he can be great when he's on the field, but he isn't on the field all the time and I'd rather have a guy who can put up 90% of Frank's production and be on the field the entire season.

Heck a guy like Delgado would put up 100% of the production Frank would, imo, and would be far more likely to stay healthy. So over the course of a full season he'd exponentially do more than Frank would.

For example, if the Sox have Brian Anderson and Frank Thomas as the DH platoon. When Frank goes down we'll have a DH who will hit .250 with maybe 15 Hr's and a lousy OBP. Lets say they add Durazo, we'll have two guys that may stink it up, considering Durazo is coming off of a pretty serious injury as well.

Lets not forget some wonder whether Frank will be able to ever play again. He's 38 years old or so and hasn't been healthy in a few years. There is no reason to think he will stay healthy for a full season or even half a season and relying on him would be absolutely foolish.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 03:37 PM)
This team just won the world series.  Its not a time to be nice and cuddly and just relax.  Its a time to make an upgrade and do whatever you can to give your team the chance at defending the crown.  Next season is going to be harder, every single team will be gunning for us. 

Resigning Frank and finding another lefty gives the Sox nothing better than they had this year, which was Carl Everett.  People, get your heads out of your butt and realize Frank is not going to be healthy for an entire season, heck, you'll be lucky if he's heatlhy for half a season.  A world series team can't pin its hopes (especially one with a not so great offense) on a DH that will only play half the season. 

It needs to make an upgrade, a guy like Mark Texiera (probably best case and I can't see a chance in hell of it happening because the Sox aren't going to deal any starting pitcher not named Duque this offseason), however Carlos Delgado is an option.  Manny Ramirez could be an option.  Brian Giles could be an option. 

These are all guys that have a history of being healthy and flat out producing.  Frank Thomas hasn't put up a seasons worth of production in a couple years and there is no reason to thing he's going to be able to do so next year. 

I expect the Sox to resign Konerko or find a similar player to him (via trade or FA) as well as to sign or trade for a very good DH (doesn't necessarily have to be a full time DH either).  Anything else will be a dissapointment in my mind.

Jason, I couldn't agree with you more. Everybody loves Frank. He's by far and away the greatest offensive force this franchise has ever had. But now is not the time to get all sentimental. You've got to do what's best for the team. As you said, everybody will be gunning for us next year. I hate to say this, but the Indians scare the living dog s*** out of me. And I don't see us jumping out to a 15 game lead next year, although it would be nice.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
Frank has been given a shot the past couple years.  He hasn't been healthy, now is the time to say goodbye.  Sure he can be great when he's on the field, but he isn't on the field all the time and I'd rather have a guy who can put up 90% of Frank's production and be on the field the entire season. 

Frank Thomas has had 1 injury the past 2 years. Just 1. The same foot that he was rehabbing last year was still bothering him when he came back, and it's now the same one that he's rehabbing again.

While that's not a pleasant thought; consider this. It's 1 singular injury to heal. Just 1 injury. It's not like he's got a broken ankle, 7 torn ligaments in his knees, and a bad back. It's 1 specific spot that's currently giving him trouble.

Even more so, think for a second about how the injury originally happened; fielding a ground ball by Juan Pierre. In other words...he was playing 1b, not just serving as a DH. If he did come back, this situation would almost never happen, unless we hit inning 14 of a world series game in a national league park and we needed to pinch run for Konerko.

If he can be back, don't underestimate him. And also, don't overestimate this injury. Yeah it's been bad, but it's still just 1 injury.