Official Re-sign Paul Konerko Thread

JDsDirtySox

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
Shift Dye to 1B, let Giles play RF and then you have Anderson or a platoon at DH.

Works for me.

Dye has played 1 game at first base his entire career. If JD is our starting 1st basemen next year I will shoot myself.

If Paulie goes I wouldnt mind seeing Gload get a chance to play every day. That kid has some great range at first and he can pick it. Keep Dye where he belongs, in right.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
Once again, we come to the point that most Sox fans want short, incentive laden contracts, and everyone earning about $5mil per year.

Tex, it's not about that.

Let's count the negatives here with giving Konerko anything more than a three year contract.

a.) He doesn't play a premier defensive position to where if his offense slips, he can make up for that with good-to-great defense.

b.) He's going to hurt you on the basepaths; and, if his hip really is a chronic problem that will hurt him down the line, then there's more trouble.

c.) He has an "old-player" skill set; patience at the plate and power, not a whole lot else. Those players tend to age very, very poorly.

I know this isn't going to get it done, but I'd offer three (maybe four), HEAVILY frontloaded -- like, $15 million for the first two years, and then a reduced (but still eight figure) salary for the latter year (s).

If not, it's time to focus our attention elsewhere. If need be, overpay for Brian Giles -- not a long contract, but I certainly wouldn't mind giving him two-three years at $10 million per.

Dye has played 1 game at first base his entire career. If JD is our starting 1st basemen next year I will shoot myself.

Get the gun ready, because it's a very good possibility -- IMO.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
I agree, but let me ask you this... What if the Sox offer the same amount of years and money as lets say the red sox, would you feel differently about him if he signed with boston

Not really.

The number of years is the factor in this whole thing though. I can justify 5 and big money for PK. However, with the body PK has, I don't want to give him anything over that.

So, if the Sox were to offer a 6 or 7 year deal, and instead he went to Boston or LAAAAAAAAAA, I wouldn't be upset.

I haven't read through this whole thread so I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but to me this doesn't mean much. It's simply his agent trying to drive up the market for him, I highly doubt he gets a 6 or 7 year deal. I believe Paul will end up on the Angels or will end up staying here for either 4 or 5 years, 6 or 7 just isn't happening imo.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)
Not really.

The number of years is the factor in this whole thing though.  I can justify 5 and big money for PK.  However, with the body PK has, I don't want to give him anything over that. 

So, if the Sox were to offer a 6 or 7 year deal, and instead he went to Boston or LAAAAAAAAAA, I wouldn't be upset.

LMAO. :lolhitting

Paulie might just be peaking in his career. He's such a hard worker (from what I've read) and it seems to be paying off. I would be surprised to see any more inconsistency from him like we saw in the past. I think he'll be a 35-40 homer guy for the next four or five years. Allowing him to go to the Angels, a rival in the league, only doubles the pain of losing him, IMO. Not only do you subtract from your own strength, you add to your opponent's.

Re-sign him. Give him what he wants. He gave us what we wanted, didn't he? Six years is not a bad deal.

The GMs must handicap what Kong will be playing like in 2011-2013. That is the core of the negotiations. Past performance of course comes into play, but what will he do during the contract, that's the crystal ball work. Once a GM has a higher regard for a player, he's got a better chance of singing the guy, good or bad.

Couple of things:

- not a chance in hell PK should get a 6 or 7 year deal. He's not exactly a young 29 year old in terms of his health. If a team wants to give him 6 or 7 years, thanks for all you've done PK.

- Brian Giles isn't an option. Don't forget, the White Sox were one of many midwest teams that were included in his no-trade clause a few years ago.

- Chad Tracy has a lot more value than what many believe on here. His incredible stretch at the end of the season might have made him damn near impossible to acquire without including a stud in the trade. Rowand, Duque, and Marte will not be enough to get Tracy. Their new GM is going to try and trade Gonzo or Glaus instead of Tracy. Overbay is a much more likely option to get traded.

i don't think we need to worry about giles age, we really need just a proper fill in for a couple of years before we establish that position again. he is much more than adequate. I was really worried about losing players on this team, but now, i look at how diff. the patriots are from 01 and realize you just have to keep moving...no reason to stay in the past in this era.

With this news, can I once again state my fearless prediction from July that for some reason, I had a notion that Carlos Pena will be our starting 1b next season?  Not saying I want that to happen, just a hunch I had for absolutely no reason!

If Konerko signs elsewhere, my prediction is that Jim Thome will be our starting first baseman with the Phillies picking up a lot of his contract.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
I was thinking more of Thome at first base and batting third with Frank at DH and batting fourth.  Thome is nothing special defensively at first base but he isn't horrible.

I don't like the idea at all of having to put either Thome or Thomas at 1b. Both of them strike me as people who could benefit tremendously from the DH Spot.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
Haven't Giles' numbers dropped since steroid testing began?

Do we even need to go here?

He's playing San Diego.

It's hard to put up numbers there.

In the Cell he'd hit 30 HR easily and I think he could hit 40.

I'm not a big fan of Thome, but if PK leaves, I see that as the most likely option. The Phils don't want him and would send him over for less than equal value and/or cash for his salary. Delgado would be great, but we'd have to give up more to get him IMO. It's just not the same situation as Philly where Thome had his worst year and back problems, with the huge contract, while Ryan Howard, who costs nothing, pounded the ball. I'd prefer, of course, Chad Tracy, but I have a hard time seeing him getting traded at this point. Lyle Overbay would be OK. I have my reservations about him as we'd definitely be losing power, but at least we'd be a little more secure in terms of injury problems. Needless to say I'm definitely very wary of our options right now barring a miraculous Tracy trade.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
Do we even need to go here?

He's playing San Diego.

It's hard to put up numbers there.

In the Cell he'd hit 30 HR easily and I think he could hit 40.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, isn't it possible that the dropoff could have more than 1 cause? I mean, I've been suspicious of Klesko for a long time, and he's had a dropoff due to the park as well.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 01:37 PM)
My only question is this...what happens if Thome can't play?

We screwed. I'm not saying I LIKE the option, but that it is likeLY. Of course I'm assuming anybody interested in obtaining Thome would be given all the doctors' reports and perhaps a rehab display? Like I said, I'm not a fan of our options right now.

If Konerko leaves...

And Thomas is healthy...

Then give 1B up to a contest between our minor league starting 1B's, who are all among the best at their levels: Gload, Rogowski, or Daigle. Let them duke it out in spring training. Let the best man win.

Now if Thomas is also gone next year, then I'm less apt to lean on an exposed rookie that way. But even then, if we go get a solid bat for DH/1B, I still think the other spot should go in-house as I stated above. Heck, even if Thomas and Konerko are both back, I'd still say we should have one of those three guys on the roster.

It just seems a shame that we are looking outside the organization so completely when we are so well-stacked at 1B in our own system. They've gotta get a shot sometime!