Official Re-sign Paul Konerko Thread

JDsDirtySox

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's more cost effective to go after Thome or Delgado than to re-sign Konerko?

He's going to re-sign and for more than he's worth. But he's going to re-sign. He has to hear the Angels out and consider their offer, he'd be stupid not to.

The only drawback to returning is Frank Thomas. Paulie doesn't like him and I think the feeling is mutual.

Edited by The Ginger Kid

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
Has no one learned yet, even after the World Series, that $$$ does not necessarily equal WWW?

No it doesn't...but a World Series winner = more $$$. And hasn't that been a big b**** for a long time...not having the $$$. Kenny has proven that he knows how to build a winner...and that chemisty is equally as important. We'll never see KW and Jerry take on an albatros like Manny...but having more $$$ due to a series win could prove very beneficial. Milk it while you can.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
I stated my plan earlier.  It depends on who is back and healthy...

If: Konerko and Thomas both back and healthy, then there you have your 3-4 hitters.  Maybe add Gload as the backup.

If: Konerko and Thomas both not playing, then go get that high-priced FA for one spot, and give the other to Gload or Rogo or JD.

If: One is back and not the other, well, probably the same as above, in some form.

I would want a winning team, which may or may not require much increase in salary.  There would be some increase in any case, with Konerko OR and FA, plus the raises.

Has no one learned yet, even after the World Series, that $$$ does not necessarily equal WWW?

I would respond with a long drawn out reply to this but since I'm at work I'll just stick with saying:

No I thought the more money you spend equates to more wins.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
We need power.  We're losing 40 homers. 

Contrary to what the media wants you to believe, we won because we hit a lot of homers, and caught everything and anything hit in the park, and pitched awesome.

And you know what -- I love it.  Ozzie consolidated the OBP we did have at the top of the order with Iguchi and Podsednik, and, other then maybe sticking with Everett too long in the three spot, he did an awesome job of lineup construction.

But, I'm getting off topic.  Even if Rogo and Gload were to have a peak year next season, I doubt either of them would reach 20 homers.  Lots of doubles, but we need lots of power.

Long story short, I'm rooting hard for Carlos Delgado.  He's a better hitter than Konerko has been, and is that big lefty bad we really need.  He had a .981 OPS last year, playing half his games in Florida, along with the other notorious pitchers parks of the NL East (RFK, Shea). 

He'd be such a great pickup...

For the most part in the playoffs your right we did just hit the crap out of the ball and hit a bunch of homeruns. However, what also made this team so good is that if we did have to manufacture a run in a close ball game we were able to do it(game 2 of the alcs and game 4 of the series come to mind). That being said I agree with you if Paul leaves we have to find another power bat for the middle of the order, can't just throw Ross out there and expect AJP to hit 4th or something like that.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
No it doesn't...but a World Series winner = more $$$.  And hasn't that been a big b**** for a long time...not having the $$$.  Kenny has proven that he knows how to build a winner...and that chemisty is equally as important.  We'll never see KW and Jerry take on an albatros like Manny...but having more $$$ due to a series win could prove very beneficial.  Milk it while you can.

I do definitely agree with the bolded statements. It's good to have the cash. We may very well have no choice but to spend a lot more this year.

But I think that if we can spend a little more this year, that could also work, as long as at least one of Konerko or Thomas can play. That leaves us more room to spend the BIG cash we'll need to spend on our stellar picthing staff next year and the year after.

Just trying to see this from the long term perspective.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 08:32 PM)
So it's more cost effective to go after Thome or Delgado than to re-sign Konerko?

He's going to re-sign and for more than he's worth. But he's going to re-sign. He has to hear the Angels out and consider their offer, he'd be stupid not to.

The only drawback to returning is Frank Thomas. Paulie doesn't like him and I think the feeling is mutual.

This is news to me

people seem to forget that kong can have terrible seasons.

Kong has had one bad season out of 7 in the Al, and that came in 2003. Look at the stats, Kong has been very consistent in slugging .500 and having an OBP of .350. I think we can predict at least that out of him the next 3 seasons. Last season he had an ops of over .900. He is essential to this lineup.

I favor a frontloaded contract that pays him less in the final two years. 6 years 70 million seems about right, paying him 13, 14, 13, 12, 9, 9

He can slide to DH in the last year or so of the contract. I really don't think it's that bad of a deal for either side. Kong gets his big deal, the sox get their slugger, and everyone goes home happy.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
I stated my plan earlier.  It depends on who is back and healthy...

If: Konerko and Thomas both back and healthy, then there you have your 3-4 hitters.  Maybe add Gload as the backup.

If: Konerko and Thomas both not playing, then go get that high-priced FA for one spot, and give the other to Gload or Rogo or JD.

Have you watched the White Sox at all this year? Are you familiar with this organization?

If you are, then even mentioning that Gload is going to get a chance on this team will make you look unknowledgeable. Gload will never be mainstay on this roster, this is fact, deal with it.

Rogo isnt ready for the big club, and may never be more than a backup. He just doesnt have the power and production for a 1B. So soon everyone forgets that paulie was our main HR and RBI guy and we are talking about replacing him with a freakin minor leaguer!!! please.

Im not even going to worry about Konerko until he for sure signs elsewhere.... which at that point ill spend 5 minutes cursing out loud and come on the board and say KW is the dumbest GM in baseball even if it was for our better good.

Than next season when we win the WS ill tell you all how I always thought KW was a genious and I was behind all his moves.

i'm confident this production will be replaced, if not immediately at least by the 2006 offseason...I don't feel we need to repeat as get back to the playoffs, but i do feel we need to get ready for a nother run within 3 years...because after that i feel the window could be closed.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
Like your posts.

Our internal resources will not replace our best hitter.

If you read my posts again, you'll see it's clear I don't suggest that. If Konerko leaves, he has to be replaced (offensively) by Thomas or an FA. But if one or the other of those two is around (but not both), that opens up a spot, where I'd put that internal resource.

I am not suggesting Konerko/Thomas + Gload is as good as Konerko + Thomas. Clearly it's not. I'm saying that if we can't get both playing, that we can still win with Konerko/Thomas + Gload, and that I think that's a better idea than Konerko/Thomas + Pricey-free-agent, for the money and for the team's future.

But again, if both are not around, then clearly we need to make bigger moves outside the organization.

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
i'm confident this production will be replaced, if not immediately at least by the 2006 offseason...I don't feel we need to repeat as get back to the playoffs, but i do feel we need to get ready for a nother run within 3 years...because after that i feel the window could be closed.

If we are all advocating that we can just plug someone in 1B to replace PK. Then we have to make up production elsewhere. Who do we have that is under performing offensively. A-row for one then needs to be gone.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
Have you watched the White Sox at all this year?  Are you familiar with this organization?

If you are, then even mentioning that Gload is going to get a chance on this team will make you look unknowledgeable.  Gload will never be mainstay on this roster, this is fact, deal with it.

I've watched them all year.

And I still don't see why you are so sure he won't work. I simply don't agree. I think he's a real possibility, and one that could be successful.

If you really want to just throw tons of money out there to get just any experienced DH-type, then you'll exhaust the money you want to keep this pitching staff intact for years to come. I personally would not be willing to make that sacrifice, unless (for the umpteenth time) we have neither Konerko or Thomas (and therefore, a giant hole in the middle of the lineup).

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)

And I still don't see why you are so sure he won't work.  I simply don't agree.  I think he's a real possibility, and one that could be successful.

If you really want to just throw tons of money out there to get just any experienced DH-type, then you'll exhaust the money you want to keep this pitching staff intact for years to come.  I personally would not be willing to make that sacrifice, unless (for the umpteenth time) we have neither Konerko or Thomas (and therefore, a giant hole in the middle of the lineup).

Seriously, you think Gload has a chance of being on the white sox next year?

This pitching staff is intact for several years to come. JC is the only one in danger of skipping town when his contract is up. Garland is in arbitration and will most likely get a multi year deal.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:19 PM)
I am not suggesting Konerko/Thomas + Gload is as good as Konerko + Thomas.  Clearly it's not.  I'm saying that if we can't get both playing, that we can still win with Konerko/Thomas + Gload, and that I think that's a better idea than Konerko/Thomas + Pricey-free-agent, for the money and for the team's future.

And, I am confident that Gload is likely to put up better numbers than Everett did at DH.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
This pitching staff is intact for several years to come.  JC is the only one in danger of skipping town when his contract is up.  Garland is in arbitration and will most likely get a multi year deal.

I hope so. But you have to have the money for all of that.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 09:23 PM)

And I still don't see why you are so sure he won't work.  I simply don't agree.  I think he's a real possibility, and one that could be successful.

If you really want to just throw tons of money out there to get just any experienced DH-type, then you'll exhaust the money you want to keep this pitching staff intact for years to come.  I personally would not be willing to make that sacrifice, unless (for the umpteenth time) we have neither Konerko or Thomas (and therefore, a giant hole in the middle of the lineup).

He wasn't arguing Gload's capabilities. He was arguing the handling of Gload in our organization. KW and Ozzie don't want any part of Gload. It's been clear for awhile now.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)
He wasn't arguing Gload's capabilities. He was arguing the handling of Gload in our organization.  KW and Ozzie don't want any part of Gload. It's been clear for awhile now.

Jesus finally, I thought I was taking crazy pills.