Long Term Deal for Garland?

joeynach

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
This is exactly why some of us have been considering whether now would be a good time to trade Contreras for some high quality players/bats/prospects/something like that.  He's the one they'll probably let walk, and we can get a ton for him right now after his performance in the 2nd half.

The problem with this is that the injury prone and usually ineffective El Duqe becomes our 5th starter. Either that or we have to overpay for a mediocre option in a pitching thin market. Unless we get an absolute elite bat like Teixeira (which I find unlikely), that would seriously hurt. I don't think the likes of Dunn, Overbay, Tracy, or Huff would make a big enough impact on the lineup to warrant killing our pitching depth (maybe Dunn, but I'd prefer someone that hits closer to .300 than .250).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the open market, Buehrle would command at least $11 million a season, maybe more due to his reliability, solid K's, and the fact that he always keeps his team in the game.

I was talking to a friend who is a Braves fan the other day and I think both of us agreed that there are not more than 5 pitchers in the GAME today that we'd rather have than Mark, Sox fan or no Sox fan. He is just that good.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 06:13 PM)
This is exactly why some of us have been considering whether now would be a good time to trade Contreras for some high quality players/bats/prospects/something like that.  He's the one they'll probably let walk, and we can get a ton for him right now after his performance in the 2nd half.

If PK leaves, the first call KW should make is to Texas and see what it would take to acquire Teixeira. If it's Contreras, Marte, and a prospect, you'd have to strongly consider it.

If PK leaves, the first call KW should make is to Texas and see what it would take to acquire Teixeira.  If it's Contreras, Marte, and a prospect, you'd have to strongly consider it.

What would the point of that be? Teixeira would expect even more money than Konerko. I know he's worth a lot more than Konerko but if we aren't going to shell out the cash for Konerko we aren't going to shell out the players, prospects, and money that Teixeira would cost. And guess who Teixeira's agent is? Boras. He was already rumored to want a 10 year contract for Teixeira. Not going to happen.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
What would the point of that be?  Teixeira would expect even more money than Konerko.  I know he's worth a lot more than Konerko but if we aren't going to shell out the cash for Konerko we aren't going to shell out the players, prospects, and money that Teixeira would cost.  And guess who Teixeira's agent is?  Boras.  He was already rumored to want a 10 year contract for Teixeira.  Not going to happen.

But on the other hand, Teixeira has at least 3 years left before he becomes a Free Agent. He is relatively cheap for those 3 years. If both Jose and Teixeira would be considered people nearly guaranteed to depart through free agency, then why not trade Jose and a few parts for Tex now, then dump Tex right before he hits Free Agency to someone looking for a big bat at 1b then?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 02:27 PM)
But on the other hand, Teixeira has at least 3 years left before he becomes a Free Agent.  He is relatively cheap for those 3 years.  If both Jose and Teixeira would be considered people nearly guaranteed to depart through free agency, then why not trade Jose and a few parts for Tex now, then dump Tex right before he hits Free Agency to someone looking for a big bat at 1b then?

Good point, and you're right. He isn't a FA until after the 2008 season, meaning if need be we could just go arbitration until then. That sounds good to me, but I'm sure they'd want Garland or Buehrle, which obviously doesn't make as much sense.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 01:48 PM)
Good point, and you're right. He isn't a FA until after the 2008 season, meaning if need be we could just go arbitration until then. That sounds good to me, but I'm sure they'd want Garland or Buehrle, which obviously doesn't make as much sense.

Don't underestimate how good Contreras was. And his contract for a pitcher is still very very cheap. Toss in Marte with it and they're also upgrading their bullpen. Toss in a prospect or two and you just might be able to pull it off.

On the other hand, I still don't think Texas would pull the trigger...simply because Texas has needed to trade offense for ptiching for 2 years and they haven't pulled the trigger. Soriano should have been out of there and at least headed to somewhere like Minnesota as of the trading deadline this past year. The fact that he hasn't yet been moved really suggests to me that Texas is just too reluctant to piss off any of its fans to try to make a deal that would really help the team (i.e. the Carlos Lee deal).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
Don't underestimate how good Contreras was.  And his contract for a pitcher is still very very cheap.  Toss in Marte with it and they're also upgrading their bullpen.  Toss in a prospect or two and you just might be able to pull it off.

On the other hand, I still don't think Texas would pull the trigger...simply because Texas has needed to trade offense for ptiching for 2 years and they haven't pulled the trigger.  Soriano should have been out of there and at least headed to somewhere like Minnesota as of the trading deadline this past year.  The fact that he hasn't yet been moved really suggests to me that Texas is just too reluctant to piss off any of its fans to try to make a deal that would really help the team (i.e. the Carlos Lee deal).

It's not so much that Contreras isn't good, it's that Contreras is older than the other two guys and only has 1 year left on his deal. For a bat like Teixeira, I think they'd want more than 1 year of Contreras, a lefty that's been seriously erratic, and a prospect.

Also, don't discount the El Duque/Don Cooper factor. I think the best thing that happened to Contreras, besides getting out of NY, was Cooper as the pitching coach and El Duque in his ear. PLUS, having a lot of Hispanics on the team, including the manager. I bet a lot of teams have noticed that. Not saying he hasn't put it all together, but if I'm a GM, I would be weary of taking him away from the White Sox situation.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 05:21 PM)
I believe the California Kid will be FA eligible after next season.

If he isn't signed this offseason, he will be shopped during the course of next season or even during this offseason.

I'd like to see a 3 year, 21 million dollar deal for Garland with an option for a 4th year at $8 million.

Couldn't agree more Aboz. Even if we can't re-sign Paulie. Why not lock up our pitching staff?

Buerhle and Garcia are signed through 2007.

Contreras/ Garland and El-duque are free agents after 2006.

I like to see KW lock down my boy Jose Contreras and John Garland to at LEAST 2008. If KW can't sign Pauly- I expect the money to go to these 2 gentlemen. Not to mention raises for Crede, Pods, and Uribe.

Lets also not forget a 3-4 year deal for AJ at about 4-5 mill/year. So the money can easily be dispersed to the players we already have.

But if we can have Buerhle, Garcia, Contreras, Garland and BMac as our rotation for the next 2-3 years, I would be happy as hell!

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 12:28 AM)
Also, don't discount the El Duque/Don Cooper factor.  I think the best thing that happened to Contreras, besides getting out of NY, was Cooper as the pitching coach and El Duque in his ear.  PLUS, having a lot of Hispanics on the team, including the manager.  I bet a lot of teams have noticed that.  Not saying he hasn't put it all together, but if I'm a GM, I would be weary of taking him away from the White Sox situation.

This is exactly why you DO NOT trade Contreras, sign him to an extension. This is a guy from a VERY meager background who loves Chicago, gave him a ring, and loves the organization. If there were ever a prime opportunity for a nice discount, it's Count. I really get the impression that he likes stability. Even though he was largely ineffective in NY, he was very upset to be traded. He'll take less to avoid the trouble of changing teams and atmospheres.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 05:18 PM)
This is exactly why you DO NOT trade Contreras, sign him to an extension.  This is a guy from a VERY meager background who loves Chicago, gave him a ring, and loves the organization.  If there were ever a prime opportunity for a nice discount, it's Count.  I really get the impression that he likes stability.  Even though he was largely ineffective in NY, he was very upset to be traded.  He'll take less to avoid the trouble of changing teams and atmospheres.

Here's the other question though...we basically have no idea how old Contreras really is. We know that in Cuba, for years, he'd spend games throwing 150+ pitches every time out. We think he's in his late 30's, and he might even be pushing into his 40's.

How much of an extension do we want to give a guy like that?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 01:30 AM)
Here's the other question though...we basically have no idea how old Contreras really is.  We know that in Cuba, for years, he'd spend games throwing 150+ pitches every time out.  We think he's in his late 30's, and he might even be pushing into his 40's.

How much of an extension do we want to give a guy like that?

a 1 or 2 year extension, at 5-6M per. I agree about his age, but he just seemed to get stronger in the late innings this season. The guy is a work horse.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 01:49 AM)
I created a thread in August about trading Garland. The more things have played out, it would be stupid to trade any of them. While the O needs a lift, the pitching cant take a blow like that. I think we might underrate our staff. It won us the world series. It's that good. Taking out 1 of the 4 guys makes us that much weaker. Keep them together.

The only way Id be ok with Garland going is if it brought us Teixiera....A course there would prob be more to the trade than just those 2 but thats what id ultimately want.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
The only way Id be ok with Garland going is if it brought us Teixiera....A course there would prob be more to the trade than just those 2 but thats what id ultimately want.

Teixeira ain't coming to us for the simple reason Scott Bora$$ is his agent. That's why it's realistic you're seeing Overbay, Tracy, Thome and Howard come up in these rumors instead.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 02:01 AM)
Teixeira ain't coming to us for the simple reason Scott Bora$$ is his agent. That's why it's realistic you're seeing Overbay, Tracy, Thome and Howard come up in these rumors instead.

I never said he was I dont think Texas would even trade him.... but if we lose Garland for one of those other players u mentioned id be very very pissed..... unlike with Teix in which id be happy with it.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
I never said he was I dont think Texas would even trade him.... but if we lose Garland for one of those other players u mentioned id be very very pissed..... unlike with Teix in which id be happy with it.

Yeah I get what you're saying, you'd hate to lose Garland unless it weas for a superstar like Tex, which isn't going to happen anyway, so we might as well keep him.

I think though if we want say Thome or Howard, Pat Gillick's probably gonna ask for B-Mac or Garland since they want real good young starting pitching. Arizona maybe too for a Chad Tracy, unless they wanted prospects like Dan Haigwood etc.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 06:13 PM)

I could see a deal of Contreras along the lines of Mulder and Hudson if the right prospects were involved.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 10:09 PM)
I could see a deal of Contreras along the lines of Mulder and Hudson if the right prospects were involved.

During the off-season, I don't think that's going to happen, you're basically putting up a white flag for the season, especially if Paulie leaves as well.

Now if we're out of it at the deadline, I'd be all for a move like that.

Am I the only person here that would rather have Contreras than Teixiera? Contreras is a dominating starting pitcher, Teixiera a power-hitting first baseman. Which is more rare?

Plus, if that trade takes place, that even opens up more money to spend. So would the Sox then spend it on a starting pitcher in free agency?

Edited by Frankensteiner