Official: Konerko Signs With White Sox

knightni

This just entered my mind and maybe why the sox are willing to try juan in the 2 hole. Juan his hole time here has been much better when he has a job to do such as getting that runner in from 3rd with less then 2 outs. Maybe the Sox think by moving him into the 2 hole that he'll have more jobs to do and it will help him concentrate a bit more. I still dont like the idea of Juan in the 2 slot but maybe that is where the sox are coming from....

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This just entered my mind and maybe why the sox are willing to try juan in the 2 hole.  Juan his hole time here has been much better when he has a job to do such as getting that runner in from 3rd with less then 2 outs.  Maybe the Sox think by moving him into the 2 hole that he'll have more jobs to do and it will help him concentrate a bit more.  I still dont like the idea of Juan in the 2 slot but maybe that is where the sox are coming from....

He didn't seem to be a bad bunter last season either.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 09:32 AM)
I think we can put this discussion to bed for a while - did everyone read the Trib this morning?

I agree with Thome hitting 3rd... but more importantly, so does Ozzie.  As quoted today in the Trib, Oz wants Thome-Konerko-Dye in 3-4-5.  Thome is the best OBP guy on the team, not to mention a fly-ball hitter (sac flies) and a huge RBI guy all around.  Good call, Ozzie.

I agree: good call, Ozzie.

I frankly don't understand how anyone can seriously advocate batting Dye in the third spot ahead of Thome and Konerko. You have to guarantee that at least one of your two best hitters comes up in the first inning. Dye is a decent hitter, but his career .334 OBP is too low for a #3 hitter and would lead to way too many 1-2-3 first innings.

I think we can put this discussion to bed for a while - did everyone read the Trib this morning?

I agree with Thome hitting 3rd... but more importantly, so does Ozzie.  As quoted today in the Trib, Oz wants Thome-Konerko-Dye in 3-4-5.  Thome is the best OBP guy on the team, not to mention a fly-ball hitter (sac flies) and a huge RBI guy all around.  Good call, Ozzie.

Thank you. Finally, people will see why Dye or Konerko made no sense in the #3 spot. Regardless of the lefty-righty garbage, you stick your best hitter there. A healthy Thome is our best hitter and highest OPS guy. Neither Konerko nor Dye are #3 hitters.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Manager Ozzie Guillen has said he would make Konerko the team captain. Guillen envisions a lineup that features Thome batting third, followed by Konerko and Jermaine Dye.

Gio Gonzalez is an injury prone A baller... He's not CY young... and I refuse to be all broken up about him...

In the short term this organization is better off without him, and is no worse off in the long term unless he becomes a CY Young pitcher which is about as likely as Willie Harris winning the triple crown next year...

But don't worry there will be another mediocore pitching prospect to cream your pants over drafted soon...

Edited by Jeckle2000

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 01:14 AM)
I dont get your sig?  Why would Valentin who wanted to come back and Clee who got traded be kicking themselves?

Than RJ and Schmidt never said they didnt want to come here so whats the deal w/ that?

Just because they are kicking themselves doesn't mean it is by choice. Johnson did not want to be traded to the Sox as he said he wouldnt waive the no-trade clause and Schmidt could have been traded but wasn't. It doesnt have to be their choice...

First off there is no way we could win jack with losers like Schmidt and Valentin dragging us down...

Griffey... Blah... Of course i'd still be willing to take him in CF if the Reds ate like 2/3's of his contract...

Seriously could you imagine a heart of the order of:

Thome

Konerko

Griffey

The only bad thing is he'd have to play defense... so we'd only have him like half the year...

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
Gio Gonzalez is an injury prone A baller... He's not CY young... and I refuse to be all broken up about him...

In the short term this organization is better off without him, and is no worse off in the long term unless he becomes a CY Young pitcher which is about as likely as Willie Harris winning the triple crown next year...

But don't worry there will be another mediocore pitching prospect to cream your pants over drafted soon...

He is only a prospect yes.... but to call him a "mediocore pitching prospect" just shows you know nothing at all about the minors...

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:07 AM)
Your right... I don't know crap about our minor league system... I just don't see the point of getting all excited for the future superstars that never happen...

If you dont know crap about it than why say stuff about it. Thats fine dont get all excited but dont go making dumb comments about it either :bang

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
Your right... I don't know crap about our minor league system... I just don't see the point of getting all excited for the future superstars that never happen...

Then you really have no business talking about it. Every freakin minor leaguer is unproven including Aaron Rowand :o . Gio has an excellent arm and imo will either be a top of the rotation guy or not even make it to the majors. You're absolutely correct that we have no clue what will come of Gio but to dismiss him just because he's a minor leaguer and a prospect is so ridiculous.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
Then you really have no business talking about it.  Every freakin minor leaguer is unproven including Aaron Rowand :o .  Gio has an excellent arm and imo will either be a top of the rotation guy or not even make it to the majors.  You're absolutely correct that we have no clue what will come of Gio but to dismiss him just because he's a minor leaguer and a prospect is so ridiculous.

No more ridiculous than 'creaming' over an undersized Class A pitcher that can't seem to stay healthy.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 07:33 AM)
No more ridiculous than 'creaming' over an undersized Class A pitcher that can't seem to stay healthy.

and who exactly is "creaming" over Gio? I know the point im getting across is its foolish to dismiss a prospect if you know nothing at all about him or minor leaguers in general.

And the previous poster acknowledged he is only a prospect but its dumb to call him worthless when he has obvious talent and was one of our top 3 pitching prospects.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:05 AM)
and who exactly is "creaming" over Gio?  I know the point im getting across is its foolish to dismiss a prospect if you know nothing at all about him or minor leaguers in general.

And the previous poster acknowledged he is only a prospect but its dumb to call him worthless when he has obvious talent and was one of our top 3 pitching prospects.

The point he was trying to make was that prospects don't usually amount to much in the long run. The odds of Gio winning 50 ML games, at this point in time, are long.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 08:28 AM)
The point he was trying to make was that prospects don't usually amount to much in the long run.  The odds of Gio winning 50 ML games, at this point in time, are long.

And thats a valid point... with prospects especially ones only in A ball chances are they wont be a good major leaguer if one at all.... but to dismiss it like Jeckle did when you know nothing about the prospect is dumb and that was the whole point of all the talk.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:45 AM)
And thats a valid point... with prospects especially ones only in A ball chances are they wont be a good major leaguer if one at all.... but to dismiss it like Jeckle did when you know nothing about the prospect is dumb and that was the whole point of all the talk.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but when you put into the perspective of "We got Jim Thome." well, I'd dismiss it too.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 08:51 AM)
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but when you put into the perspective of "We got Jim Thome." well, I'd dismiss it too.

Well yeah I like the trade too so thats not what im trying to say....but its all good we got Thome and Konerko and all we lost was Rowand so im happy.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 07:28 PM)
The point he was trying to make was that prospects don't usually amount to much in the long run.  The odds of Gio winning 50 ML games, at this point in time, are long.

But we've seen prospects like B-Mac, who at the start of last season started in low A ball make it in the big leagues.

Obviously some people think Gio isn't a top prospect, because he hasn't rached AA and he's had a couple of injuries. Well he's going to build up in the future as well, and having the numbers he did this season at the age of 19 is very impressive.

Gio may not make it to the major leagues, we don't know. But to call him a mediocre prospect, when his stats show NOTHING to suggest that, isn't very smart in my mind.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
I just don't see the point of getting all excited for the future superstars that never happen...

Two Words. Brandon McCarthy.

Tell me what you thought of him at the start of the 2004 season? Just another mediocre prospect?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 03:51 AM)
Two Words. Brandon McCarthy.

Tell me what you thought of him at the start of the 2004 season? Just another mediocre prospect?

Of course you can find guys who make it, or there wouldn't be a big leagues. And who called Gio a mediocre prospect? I'm just looking at the odds of him succeeding vs. the benefit of acquiring Thome.