Crede and Garland to Texas?

GasHeGone

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 03:40 PM)
I hope when people say stuff like that they do that Iguchi struck out a lot too....114 times in only 135 games....

Wilkerson might K more but it isnt that big of a difference from Iguchi...

Yeah that's the 1st thing that came to my mind as well when I saw that original post.

I know everyone loved what Tadahito brought to this team in 2005 and rightfully so, but if there's 1 thing he really needs to improve, it's to get those K's down.

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one thing i think of if this trade "somehow" happened, is wilkerson is used to a rold as leadoff man, he might benefit with pods on base, this would give him a chance to drive more runs in and get to hit with runners on, also it gives us two lefties leadilng off. That is only if it were to happen, personally I dont see any trades happening, and if so not till late december

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 10:31 PM)
one thing i think of if this trade "somehow" happened, is wilkerson is used to a rold as leadoff man, he might benefit with pods on base, this would give him a chance to drive more runs in and get to hit with runners on, also it gives us two lefties leadilng off.  That is only if it were to happen, personally I dont see any trades happening, and if so not till late december

Ok, wait, if we were using Wilkerson as a leadoff man, how would Pods be on base? Would you have Pods batting 9th? Or would Wilkerson be batting 2nd, which makes more sense based on everything else you said?

QUOTE(chisoxgrl @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 11:10 PM)
I did hear of this. I am going to take a lot of flack, but I do not want Crede to go. I can say g-bye to Garland but not Joe. I am all for the Tejada trade with Garland and Uribe, but not Joe. I know Joe has Boras for an agent and that means KW won't deal. Crede's defense is stellar, and he comes through every time offensively when we need it. A normal at bat will be a pop out, but when we need to tie or we need a walk off he has done it! I am sure there are more things to consider than what I see, in fact I know, but that is something I feel strongly about. Crede needs to stay. I think anything he may lack is made up for in the moments that are critical. That has been what I have seen, especially this year. Crede in the clutch is worth it.

We've got Crede locked up for 3 more years; there's no reason to trade him for a more expensive non-upgrade like Blalock. Kenny doesn't have to worry about signing him for 3 years, so what's the difference who his agent is?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 01:38 AM)
Ok, wait, if we were using Wilkerson as a leadoff man, how would Pods be on base?  Would you have Pods batting 9th?  Or would Wilkerson be batting 2nd, which makes more sense based on everything else you said?

Ok i said this wrong id have wilkerson bat second like everyone else, i didnt really state that good enough

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 12:46 AM)
We've got Crede locked up for 3 more years; there's no reason to trade him for a more expensive non-upgrade like Blalock.  Kenny doesn't have to worry about signing him for 3 years, so what's the difference who his agent is?

I thought Crede has 2 years of arbitration left and that's it...

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 12:50 AM)
How many times was Iguchi down in the count in order to let Pods get a read?  Take him out of the #2 spot, and I think that would immediately cut his K's to below 100.  I think with another year of adjustment to major league pitching he could cut it down even further as well.

This argument works both ways. How many times did he get a grooved fastball because of Pods? Plus, there's nothing in his splits that suggest that he struggled making contact because of Pods.

With a man on first, he struck out 20 times out of 92 ABs (22%)

With runners on, he struck out 52 out of 223 ABs (23%)

With runners in scoring position, he struck out 32 out of 131 ABs (24%)

Overall, he struck out 114 out of 512 ABs (22%)

There's nothing there that I would call statistically significant. In fact, I would say scotty's position has negligable effect.

You can argue that runners effected his walk rate, as he was much more patient with the bases empty, but his strikeout rate was relatively unchanged.

Walk rate

Men on -- 13 walks in 223 ABs (6%)

Bases empty -- 34 walks in 288 ABs (12%)

Great stats. Iguchi did get a lot better after the All Star break but still struck out at about the same rate. I could live with the strikeouts as long as he still puts up an .800+ OPS next season like he did after the All Star break last season. I think he has the ability to hit 25 homers and steal 25 bases, although his speed definately wasn't as good as advertised.

Edited by SSH2005

Don't know if this was posted back on the 15th. On page 2 Scot Miller says the sox and Twins still are showing serious interest in Blalock.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9099247

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9099247/2

* The Texas Rangers continue to look for starting pitching and third baseman Hank Blalock continues to draw serious interest from Minnesota and the Chicago White Sox. It appears that the White Sox are not completely sold on the health of Joe Crede, who suffered from two herniated disks in his back last summer. And with Vazquez and prospect Brandon McCarthy close to big-league ready -- if not ready for prime time right now -- as well as Mark Buehrle, Jose A. Contreras, Jon Garland and Freddy Garcia, White Sox GM Kenny Williams can deal from a position of strength.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)
I'm all for sending Crede and Garland to Texas...but can we actually expect Texas to trade a guy who is signed for 3 more years, for two guys who can walk after this season?  Doesn't seem likely to me.

Crede would be under their control for the next three seasons.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 01:41 AM)
This argument works both ways. How many times did he get a grooved fastball because of Pods? Plus, there's nothing in his splits that suggest that he struggled making contact because of Pods.

With a man on first, he struck out 20 times out of 92 ABs (22%)

With runners on, he struck out 52 out of 223 ABs (23%)

With runners in scoring position, he struck out 32 out of 131 ABs (24%)

Overall, he struck out 114 out of 512 ABs (22%)

There's nothing there that I would call statistically significant. In fact, I would say scotty's position has negligable effect.

You can argue that runners effected his walk rate, as he was much more patient with the bases empty, but his strikeout rate was relatively unchanged.

Walk rate

Men on -- 13 walks in 223 ABs (6%)

Bases empty -- 34 walks in 288 ABs (12%)

Hmm... looks like the K's were pretty evenly spread. I was just assuming a higher strikeout rate due to the increased number of 1-2 and 0-2 counts he frequently took on for Pods' sake. His BA was pretty bad in those counts, so I assumed that could account for a higher K rate. Didn't do my homework, looks like I was wrong in my initial assessment.

On another note: On the Texas front, I wonder if we could squeeze Gerald Laird from them. The Padres were interested in him and at least considered moving Eaton for a deal centered around him. Maybe we could package him for Barfield or Linebrink. I dunno... just something to think about while we wait for the next move, if there is one. (Man, am I getting bored...)

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 12:46 AM)
We've got Crede locked up for 3 more years; there's no reason to trade him for a more expensive non-upgrade like Blalock.  Kenny doesn't have to worry about signing him for 3 years, so what's the difference who his agent is?

Well, because he isnt locked up for three more years and Blalock IS and upgrade over Crede, thats probably why.

Edited by RockRaines

Hmm... looks like the K's were pretty evenly spread.  I was just assuming a higher strikeout rate due to the increased number of 1-2 and 0-2 counts he frequently took on for Pods' sake.  His BA was pretty bad in those counts, so I assumed that could account for a higher K rate.  Didn't do my homework, looks like I was wrong in my initial assessment.

On another note: On the Texas front, I wonder if we could squeeze Gerald Laird from them.  The Padres were interested in him and at least considered moving Eaton for a deal centered around him.  Maybe we could package him for Barfield or Linebrink.  I dunno... just something to think about while we wait for the next move, if there is one.  (Man, am I getting bored...)

With Mark L leaving the Pads there is not a chance in hell, they move Barfield. You have a better chance for us to get Peavy.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)
With Mark L leaving the Pads there is not a chance in hell, they move Barfield. You have a better chance for us to get Peavy.

I don't think they are totally sold on him.

Do you guys think that Texas would do the following trade? Garland and Crede for Blalock, Danks, and Kinsler? Or should have I type that in green?

I don't think they are totally sold on him.

Do you guys think that Texas would do the following trade? Garland and Crede for Blalock, Danks, and Kinsler? Or should have I type that in green?

Are you sure? The last 2/3 seasons in the minors Barfield has put up some ver nice numbers 04 he was injuried if I am not mistaken. And he is young, only 22.

Edited by AnthraxFan93

While I'm not really aversed to this trade, I'd rather try to get two really good prospects back in the deal, preferrably a starter and a bullpen arm that are somewhat close to the majors. We don't really have any glaring needs on the major league team. An upgrade over Uribe or Crede would be nice, but that would be both tough to find and acquire. Another proven bullpen arm (preferrably lefty) to go with Jenks/Cotts/Politte/Hermanson would also be good, but there aren't a whole lot of options out there. A proven centerfielder would also be a possible place to upgrade, but I can live with Anderson, and the possible fill-ins are either not that good or highly expensive. Unless we can somehow swing a deal for Tejada or Crawford, both of which seem highly unlikely, I'd like to see us replenish our farm system a bit. If nothing else it give us more ammo to deal for a veteran in the next year or two.

I can't BELIEVE people say they want Blalock here. I think this might be my favorite in regards to Blalock....

Guess who has the higher road OPS (three year splits -- basically their whole career) between Scott Podsednik and Hank Blalock by 38 points. Though I do a disservice to Scott because he IS a leadoff man after all.

That's right. You guessed it. None other than Scotty P.

Pods - .745

Blalock - .707

Disgusting.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
I can't BELIEVE people say they want Blalock here. I think this might be my favorite in regards to Blalock....

Guess who has the higher road OPS (three year splits -- basically their whole career) between Scott Podsednik and Hank Blalock by 38 points. Though I do a disservice to Scott because he IS a leadoff man after all.

That's right. You guessed it. None other than Scotty P.

Pods - .745

Blalock - .707

Disgusting.

totally, who want want the AL defensive leader at 3B on this team, and who needs a two time all star anyway? God, he's even too old at 25 to even mention this possibility. He has no power, and cant hit anyway!! God!!!! I mean, if the sox ever start playing every game on the road, he would be worthless!! What a horrible idea!!!

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
totally, who want want the AL defensive leader at 3B on this team, and who needs a two time all star anyway?  God, he's even too old at 25 to even mention this possibility.  He has no power, and cant hit anyway!! God!!!!  I mean, if the sox ever start playing every game on the road, he would be worthless!! What a horrible idea!!!

What exactly does being an All-Star mean?

Nothing.