why does everyone not want tejada??

mc20

With all these contrases and uribe for tejada rumors going around, why do most people posting not want to lose uribe. sure hes good and has a bright future, but Miguel Tejada is a former mvp and a stud, he could make us a dynasty

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thread like this? Sigh.

Most people don't want Tejada because he is quite expensive, not as good defensively as Uribe, gave up on his team last year in the second half, and is involved in the steroid scandal thanks to Palmiero (whether its true or not is a different question). Also, what sort of player complains about wanting out of a team after signing a long-term contract with them?

The big myth is price factor. A Tejada for Count/Uribe trade only raises payroll by 1 million dollars. The reason a lot of people don't want Tejada is a mix of legit reasons (he quit on his team in the 2nd half last year, b12 questions) and stupid ones that hold no water (OMG don't get rid of more people from last year! Uribe is better than Tejada).

The big myth is price factor.  A Tejada for Count/Uribe trade only raises payroll by 1 million dollars.  The reason a lot of people don't want Tejada is a mix of legit reasons (he quit on his team in the 2nd half last year, b12 questions) and stupid ones that hold no water (OMG don't get rid of more people from last year! Uribe is better than Tejada).

Actually, it would pretty much be an even swap of salaries for 2006...

Contreras's 2006 salary: $8 million + $1 million of signing bonus

Uribe's 2006 salary: $3.15 million

Tejada's 2006 salary: $10 million + $2 million of signing bonus

$12.15 million - $12 million = $150,000

The Sox would actually end up lowering their 2006 payroll by $150,000. Of course, Tejada's salary increases in future years so our payroll would increase after 2006.

Edited by SSH2005

Baltimore wouldn't bite on Contreras, because they want young pitching. They'd want Brandon McCarthy + Uribe + more for Miguel Tejada.

I'd rather stick with what we've got if that's the asking price for Tejada.

Well to start Tejada is expensive and it is always a good idea to save some money for the middle of the season if we are going to make some midseason moves, Tejadas salary doesn't really help the cause, I think most people like the idea of a 6 man rotation or having six healthy starters able to go each game. Its always nice having insurance if someone doesnt do so hot in the season or gets injured. Uribe is a good young player with some talent, not to say he is better than Tejada, after we won the World Series I was pretty set on the team staying the same and when a deal happened I really didn't want the team chemistry to fall apart. Thats just my opinion I dont want Tejada because I would hate to ruin the chemistry on this team and I like the idea of six starters.

The "B12" thing is a little worrisome, especially when you consider Tejada hit only 7 home runs after the All Star break in 2005. Contrast that with Uribe who hit 7 home runs in the month of September alone.

Maybe it was just a fluke, or maybe Tejada needs more "B12" shots to keep his game up.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

Tejada is good. But we simply have no need for him. We have enough power on offense w/ Dye, Konerko and Thome and others. Uribe is better defensively not to mention MUCH cheaper. Keep Uribe, keep Contreras END OF STORY!

But what if we lose Contreras after 2006 to free agency. Would you rather have Uribe or Tejada after 2006 if Contreras goes elsewhere? You have to also keep that in consideration.

I'm not so much against a possible trade for Tejada, but it would depend a lot on what they'd want for him. Contreras, I'd talk. BMac, no thanks. Of course, there would probably be more Baltimore would want from the Sox as well. And would the Orioles be willing to pick up some of his salary?

The devil in those details would make it interesting or completely unenticing for me.

Tejada will be, ahem, "30" this year. He's entering the end of his career and will be a very expensive "33" in 2009. Historically, players peak from 28-31, so give the best-case scenarios about his age, he can expect to decline in the last two years of his contract. His peak season was in 2004 at age "28", and he tailed off last year.

Then there is the cloud of steroids hanging over him. I'm not calling him guilty, but I believe more often than not, where there's smoke there's fire in these things. Maybe he only used roids for a month or two during the offseason, maybe he didn't use at all. But it's something to consider.

As many have mentioned, he's not as good as Uribe defensively, Uribe might be the best shortstop in the game, Tejada is good, but not that good.

Tejada is a great player and a team like the Cubs that would do well to win 85 games without him (and miss the playoffs by a wide margin), but perhaps could look at 90 games with him (and a possible playoff berth) would be wise to pull the trigger.

Tejada gives the Sox maybe 3 more wins next year. Maybe. Maybe he takes us from 95 expected wins to 98. But at what cost to the future? I'd assume we'd have to trade Bmac and Uribe if the Cubs are offering Prior and the Sawx are offering Manny.

No thanks.

Of course, it all depends on what we'd have to give up, but I'm assuming that it would take Uribe and a starting pitcher (at the very least). With that said, if getting Tejada comes at the sacrifice of pitching and defense, I'd have to pass.

Make no mistake about it, Tejada is one hell of a player. But in my opinion, you only give up that much if it is for something that you desperately need. And I really don't see Tejada as a guy we desperately need. He'd look awefully good in the heart of our order, but to downgrade our pitching, defense and most likely our farm system isn't necessary.

I guess it all comes down to how much better you think Tejada would make us. Considering that he'd most likely come at an enormous price, my opinion is that the upgrade overall would be minimal.

Just my two cents.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 03:08 AM)
But what if we lose Contreras after 2006 to free agency.  Would you rather have Uribe or Tejada after 2006 if Contreras goes elsewhere?  You have to also keep that in consideration.

than you plug McCarthy into the rotation. right now he's in the bullpen- which is good because he can work on establishing his change up in 2006. If Contreras walks after 2006 than so be it. Right now we are stronger with him than w/o him. It gives Ozzie insurance in case of injury, and w/ BMac coming onto the scene we can afford losing him after the 2006 season. Right now it makes sense to keep him. We simply don't need Tejada. Our teams strength is pitching depth. We won the world series because of pitching depth and defense. Why change that by trading Uribe and Conteras for some more power ?

Another thing to consider is that if Contreras has another solid season, and he rejects the Sox's arbitration offer, he will most likely be a class A free agent and net the Sox two high draft picks in 2007. Not a bad return on a player that helped propel the Sox to at least one World Series and is likely ending his career (with the appropriate fall-off in production) and looking to be overpaid while he does it.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 10:37 PM)
Another thing to consider is that if Contreras has another solid season, and he rejects the Sox's arbitration offer, he will most likely be a class A free agent and net the Sox two high draft picks in 2007. 

No, Contreras will be an unrestricted free agent if unsigned by 11/15/06. The Sox would get no draft picks.

This is because he came into the major leagues as an "international free agent" and never signed a minor league contract. Same applied to Hideki Matsui this year.

Another thing to consider is that if Contreras has another solid season, and he rejects the Sox's arbitration offer, he will most likely be a class A free agent and net the Sox two high draft picks in 2007.  Not a bad return on a player that helped propel the Sox to at least one World Series and is likely ending his career (with the appropriate fall-off in production) and looking to be overpaid while he does it.

I don't want draft picks for Contreras. I want good MLB player(s) and/or top prospect(s) for him.

Edited by SSH2005

Another thing to consider is that if Contreras has another solid season, and he rejects the Sox's arbitration offer, he will most likely be a class A free agent and net the Sox two high draft picks in 2007.  Not a bad return on a player that helped propel the Sox to at least one World Series and is likely ending his career (with the appropriate fall-off in production) and looking to be overpaid while he does it.

Wrong, no draft picks, see the other thread. He has a clause in his contract like Matsui did with NY. Edit, sorry, did not see the recent post above.

Edited by JimH