Recruiting Thread

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
This isn't technically recruiting, but I have seen a few rumos Tyler Smith is leaving Iowa. Anyone have a scoop?

I've heard similar rumors. I've also heard he might put his name in the draft, which would be a huge mistake.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IOWA CITY, IA - - Freshman Tyler Smith has asked for, and been granted, a release from his basketball scholarship at the University of Iowa.

The announcement was made Friday by Iowa Coach Todd Lickliter and Director of Athletics Gary Barta.

"Tyler asked to be released, expressing his desire to be closer to his father," said Lickliter. "We respect his decision to be near his family and will grant the release in order for Tyler to further his education closer to home."

"I have had conversations with both Tyler and his father from the time we knew we would have a coaching change," said Barta. "Both expressed a sincere appreciation for Iowa, but also hinted toward a desire for Tyler to continue his career closer to home. I'm disappointed with his final decision, but we do ultimately want what's best for him."

Smith (6-7, 210) is a native of Pulaski, TN who joined the Iowa program after one year at Hargrave, VA Military Academy. He started 29 of 31 games last season, leading the team in rebounding (4.9) and steals (45) while ranking second in scoring (14.9) and assists (111). He was named to the Big Ten Conference all-Freshman team and earned third team all-Big Ten recognition.

Lickliter also noted that family was the reason given by Smith for the request. "He said he has very much missed being around his father for the past two years," said Lickliter, of his conversation with Smith. "He expressed his appreciation to the University of Iowa and Hawkeye fans and wished the program nothing but success."

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 07:43 PM)
Notre Dame is gathering an impressive haul right now, with 10 early commits including several heralded players.

None of them better change their minds throughout the course of this process, lest they forget the meaning of the word commitment.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Apr 21, 2007 -> 02:33 AM)
This isn't technically recruiting, but I have seen a few rumos Tyler Smith is leaving Iowa. Anyone have a scoop?

Well, it's all but official. Smith will be transfering to the University of Tennessee and start classes at the beginning of the summer.

Ohio State cleaning up with top offensive line commitments. They currently have commitments from the top OL prospect in Ohio (Michael Adams), Florida (Michael Brewster) and Texas (JB Shugarts).

Shugarts is the guy I really wanted to see in a Michigan uniform, so seeing him commit to OSU really hurts.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 02:29 AM)
Jeff Jordan Officially to Illinois.

I really think that's awesome. Even if he's not the most talented player ever, I guarantee his basketball IQ has to be very good. So if anything, Illinois will be gettin a Jack Ingram-type walk-on that can give them 15-20 minutes of solid play by the time he's a junior.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 09:29 AM)
I think having Jordan will be good for the PR of Illinois.

And add to the fact that MJ will be walking around the campus to watch his son, other players (i.e. recruits down the road) will want to play with Jeff for the sole purpose of possibly meeting MJ. This obviously wouldn't be the only reason a recruit would chose Illinois, but it sure helps.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 11:07 PM)
He's a guard that has some semblance of talent, so ok. Just a darn shame Jamar is going to be back, Weber is such a....well a lot of bad things.

Time to get a new act, pal. This one is getting pretty old.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 09:29 AM)
I think having Jordan will be good for the PR of Illinois.

Agreed. It's a PR dream and the kid may be able to eat up some minutes as an upper-classman. Even if this doesn't put Illinois in good standing for Marcus Jordan, it's a win-win.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 12:42 PM)
Having MJ accidentally bump into recruits is a nice thing. Although sending Shavlik Randolph a picture of MJ wearing a "Shav country" T-Shirt didn't seem to help UNC.

I think in the long run it did. ;)

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 10:27 PM)
Ohio State cleaning up with top offensive line commitments. They currently have commitments from the top OL prospect in Ohio (Michael Adams), Florida (Michael Brewster) and Texas (JB Shugarts).

Shugarts is the guy I really wanted to see in a Michigan uniform, so seeing him commit to OSU really hurts.

Huge coup for OSU to start building another great line.