Carlos Lee...

wilmot825

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 09:43 AM)
As soon as the tribune starts spinning the story of the cubs needing him, I guarantee he will be one of their top targets in the offseason.

And just like the Furcal sweepstakes, they'll finish second. It's the Cubbie way.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do the Angels have in return to trade for Lee?

I agree they are the most likely candidate because the A's will be pressuring them all season long. But I don't see what the Angels have that the Brew wants so maybe a 3rd team will get involved.

I do think Lee will have a buyers market in FA & that will prevent him from coming back to the White Sox.

Aside from KW and Ozzie not wanting him, I don't think he would ever want to play for them either. He still has a grudge against them, and Ozzie said at SoxFest last year about him not going in hard, "We had a guy go into 2nd base as if his wife was turning a double play." :lol: :lol:

After seeing him go into Todd Walker the way he did, if I were Ozzie, I'd be worried of him doing that to either Iguchi or Uribe.

I wonder if maybe the Tribe might trade for him at the deadline or something. They have prospects prob trade anyone besides Miller/Sowers/Marte and they should have more than enough to resign him long term.

could be the Tribe's lineup mid-season

Sizemore

Belliard

Peralta

Hafner

V-Mart

Clee

Michaels

Marte

Garko/Brousard

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 01:15 PM)
I wonder if maybe the Tribe might trade for him at the deadline or something.  They have prospects prob trade anyone besides Miller/Sowers/Marte and they should have more than enough to resign him long term.

Sizemore

Belliard

Peralta

Hafner

V-Mart

Clee

Michaels

Marte

Garko/Brousard

Are you trying to scare me?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 11:15 AM)
I wonder if maybe the Tribe might trade for him at the deadline or something.  They have prospects prob trade anyone besides Miller/Sowers/Marte and they should have more than enough to resign him long term.

Sizemore

Belliard

Peralta

Hafner

V-Mart

Clee

Michaels

Marte

Garko/Brousard

I don't think the Tribe's question marks will be on offense next year. And I don't know if they could pick up a guy like CLee without giving up a guy like Garko or Marte either.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 10:33 AM)
What do the Angels have in return to trade for Lee?

I agree they are the most likely candidate because the A's will be pressuring them all season long.  But I don't see what the Angels have that the Brew wants so maybe a 3rd team will get involved.

I do think Lee will have a buyers market in FA & that will prevent him from coming back to the White Sox.

They have a loaded farm system. That's always a start.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 07:28 PM)
I don't think the Tribe's question marks will be on offense next year.  And I don't know if they could pick up a guy like CLee without giving up a guy like Garko or Marte either.

It wont cost that much for a LF with only half a year left on his contract thats due a big payday.....

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
It wont cost that much for a LF with only half a year left on his contract thats due a big payday.....

But, if the Brewers are anywhere close to contention, or even around .500, they'll still be close enough to the wild card race that it'll take a lot to turn them into sellers. Remember, they know for a fact that they'll get draft picks from whoever grabs him, so they won't be walking away empty handed, even if they hold onto him and try to make a run.

If Prince Fielder and the other young guys struggle to start the year...then maybe they dump him to a contender.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 07:33 PM)
I was reading the paper,not sure if was the Tribune or Herald, today and an article caught my attention. Carlos Lee may be heading back to the White Sox in enxchange for Jose or Dye. This could be just writters putting out crap for people to read or this could be reality. I say no to Carlos, bad defense and a big contract equal bad team chemistry.

No Sox names were mentioned that I remember and it was just one of those "maybe-possibly-could be-what if-" kind of stories. The only thing I picked up was Rogers thinking Carlos wouldn't be affordable to the Brewers after his present contract expires.

HOLY CRAP! We could get back the poorly defensive power guy who never produces when it counts?! And all we'd have to give is the best pitcher of the second half of '05 or a much more timely RF player in Jermaine Dye to get him?! EGAD! Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 07:47 PM)
And all we'd have to give is the best pitcher of the second half of '05

Hopefully the green is meant for that part too. If not:

Johan Santana Post-ASB:

9-2, 1.59 ERA, 0.87 WHIP, .192 BAA

Jose Contreras Post-ASB:

11-2, 2.96 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, .236 BAA

And I wasn't really trying to look. If I did, I could probably find others who were better than Contreras.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 10:11 PM)
Hopefully the green is meant for that part too.  If not:

Johan Santana Post-ASB:

Jose Contreras Post-ASB:

And I wasn't really trying to look.  If I did, I could probably find others who were better than Contreras.

Good luck with that.

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 10:11 PM)
Hopefully the green is meant for that part too.  If not:

Johan Santana Post-ASB:

Jose Contreras Post-ASB:

And I wasn't really trying to look.  If I did, I could probably find others who were better than Contreras.

Joe Blanton Post-ASB

7-5, 2.65, 1.16, .226 BAA

Pretty much the same minus the W-L

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 11:49 PM)
Good luck with that.

Good luck with finding more? It was actually really easy.

Andy Pettitte: 11-2, 1.69 ERA, 0.91 WHIP

Tom Glavine: 7-6, 2.22 ERA, 1.01 WHIP (people won't like it because of his record, but lack of run support answers that)

Kevin Millwood: 6-4, 2.25 ERA, 1.15 WHIP

Jorge Sosa: 9-2, 2.31 ERA, 1.36 WHIP (the WHIP drops his value, but he's still around as good as Contreras was)

Roger Clemens: 6-5, 2.42 ERA, 1.09 WHIP

Noah Lowry: 8-4, 2.43 ERA, 1.10 WHIP

John Lackey: 8-1, 2.57 ERA, 1.20 WHIP

Joe Blanton: 7-5, 2.65 ERA, 1.16 WHIP

Carlos Zambrano: 8-2, 2.65 ERA, 1.06 WHIP

Mark Mulder: 6-3, 2.77 ERA, 1.37 WHIP (same as Sosa)

Jeff Suppan: 7-3, 2.78 ERA, 1.26 WHIP

Scott Kazmir: 7-2, 2.79 ERA, 1.43 (same as Sosa and Mulder)

Shawn Chacon: 7-5, 2.90 ERA, 1.23 WHIP

Dontrelle Willis: 9-6, 2.91 ERA, 1.13 WHIP

Josh Towers: 7-5, 2.91 ERA, 1.15 WHIP

All of these guys were as good as, or better than, Contreras was in the second half. If you want to specify as to each month (which would help Contreras's case since he had a great August and September), thats a different matter. But as for their entire second halves..

I only used players with 14 or more starts. Zach Duke (12 starts), Felix Hernandez (12 starts), Matt Cain (7 starts), Brandon McCarthy (5 starts), Jake Peavy (13 starts), and others would have qualified otherwise.

Now, if you were saying "good luck to that" in terms of trying to show anyone that Contreras wasn't the best pitcher in the league, then thanks :P

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)
Good luck with finding more?  It was actually really easy.

Andy Pettitte: 11-2, 1.69 ERA, 0.91 WHIP

Tom Glavine: 7-6, 2.22 ERA, 1.01 WHIP (people won't like it because of his record, but lack of run support answers that)

Kevin Millwood: 6-4, 2.25 ERA, 1.15 WHIP

Jorge Sosa: 9-2, 2.31 ERA, 1.36 WHIP (the WHIP drops his value, but he's still around as good as Contreras was)

Roger Clemens: 6-5, 2.42 ERA, 1.09 WHIP

Noah Lowry: 8-4, 2.43 ERA, 1.10 WHIP

John Lackey: 8-1, 2.57 ERA, 1.20 WHIP

Joe Blanton: 7-5, 2.65 ERA, 1.16 WHIP

Carlos Zambrano: 8-2, 2.65 ERA, 1.06 WHIP

Mark Mulder: 6-3, 2.77 ERA, 1.37 WHIP (same as Sosa)

Jeff Suppan: 7-3, 2.78 ERA, 1.26 WHIP

Scott Kazmir: 7-2, 2.79 ERA, 1.43 (same as Sosa and Mulder)

Shawn Chacon: 7-5, 2.90 ERA, 1.23 WHIP

Dontrelle Willis: 9-6, 2.91 ERA, 1.13 WHIP

Josh Towers: 7-5, 2.91 ERA, 1.15 WHIP

All of these guys were as good as, or better than, Contreras was in the second half.  If you want to specify as to each month (which would help Contreras's case since he had a great August and September), thats a different matter.  But as for their entire second halves..

I only used players with 14 or more starts.  Zach Duke (12 starts), Felix Hernandez (12 starts), Matt Cain (7 starts), Brandon McCarthy (5 starts), Jake Peavy (13 starts), and others would have qualified otherwise.

Now, if you were saying "good luck to that" in terms of trying to show anyone that Contreras wasn't the best pitcher in the league, then thanks :P

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of August and September. And I also look at the fact he was money in the post-season. But outta that list, only Pettite in my opinion was as good or slightly better than Jose.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
Clubhouse cancer never cared for him stay away :chair

Hey dammit, the guy was the only one that hustled his ass of each and every play in 2003, yet, somehow, once he starts off slowly in 04, everyone just starts hating on him. Let's try to keep the hating to a minimum, I'm pretty sure a guy that smiles 24/7 in the dugout is not the clubhouse cancer. Before the world series last year, he probably provided the most exciting walk off homer in Sox history against our favorite north side rivals. I'm sure he wont be back here, and frankly, he's better off him nobody wants him back anyway.

QUOTE(Elcaballo45 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 12:07 AM)
Hey dammit, the guy was the only one that hustled his ass of each and every play in 2003, yet, somehow, once he starts off slowly in 04, everyone just starts hating on him.  Let's try to keep the hating to a minimum, I'm pretty sure a guy that smiles 24/7 in the dugout is not the clubhouse cancer.  Before the world series last year, he probably provided the most exciting walk off homer in Sox history against our favorite north side rivals.  I'm sure he wont be back here, and frankly, he's better off him nobody wants him back anyway.

It sounds like your perception is somewhat different of those of Ozzie and KW. Which, when it comes down to it, is why Lee is gone and probably won't be back.