jerry owens

MarkBuehrle_TheAce

QUOTE(MarkBuehrle_TheAce @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)
all owens has to do is catch the ball, and he can clearly do that. owens just seems to fit the mold of what ozzie likes more than anderson. i like anderson, and beleive he will be a future star, but owens has a LEGIT shot at the job i think

There *is* a whole process of getting to the ball.. you realize this, right? You couldn't put someone who took bad reads on the ball or didn't get good jumps on the ball and stick them at center and expect success. There is a whole process.

Hell, a lot of people in the world can catch the ball. Does that mean they are good enough to play CF?

QUOTE(MarkBuehrle_TheAce @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 09:08 PM)
owens doesnt suck on defense, he only had 3 errors last season for the barons, and i bet with that speed, he has made some spectacular plays. but, he does have a noodle arm, which worries me a little. but, if he can hit at the major league level, and doesnt make dumb mistakes on the base paths/ in the field, i think he would be a pretty good fit

He only had 3 CHARGED errors, but it was closer to 15 with all the misreads on balls that don't show up in the box score. Owens was 4th on Birmingham CF depth chart last year and in my opinion will not start in CF for Charlotte this season much less in Chicago.

Edited by BHAMBARONS

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 10:36 PM)
He only had 3 CHARGED errors, but it was closer to 15 with all the misreads on balls that don't show up in the box score.  Owens was 4th on Birmingham CF depth chart last year and in my opinion will not start in CF for Charlotte this season much less in Chicago.

Unlike most of us, BHAM actually gets to watch the games. I think he knows what he's talking about.

QUOTE(MarkBuehrle_TheAce @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 10:18 PM)
all owens has to do is catch the ball, and he can clearly do that. owens just seems to fit the mold of what ozzie likes more than anderson. i like anderson, and beleive he will be a future star, but owens has a LEGIT shot at the job i think

Everything that's ever been said about Owens is that he's pretty much a mediocre defensive LFer, and is a horrible defensive CFer. Having no ability to read the ball whatsoever hurts his defensive capabilities a ton.

I personally see no way Owens wins the job out of ST...if for some reason Anderson is not the starter, I have to imagine the Sox would look to putting Pods in CF with Borchard, Ozuna, Mackowiak, and perhaps even Griever or whoever else the Sox have in mind playing LF.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 11:52 PM)
I personally see no way Owens wins the job out of ST...

I agree with that completely. Kenny Williams has basically done everything he could to give this job to Brian Anderson for now and the future, so I don't think that will change anytime soon.

QUOTE(MarkBuehrle_TheAce @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 09:50 PM)
all you guys do is f***ing rip on me. knock it off, fighting on a f***ing message bored is retarded. that said, i have no problem with anderson, its just that owens fits the mold that ozzie seems to like, fast, and more fast. i think he has a solid chance at the starting job, but if we go with anderson, i have no problem

OK guy, I am going to play the roll of the friendly administrator here...

[removes banning hat, places on free advice hat]

Breaking into a specialized fan board isn't easy. Especially one that is run by fans, for the fans. The people who post here are the most knowledgible fans you will ever run into. There are a lot of opinions, and they have the ability to back it up with a wealth of experience, knowledge, wisdom, observations, and facts. If you are going to get mad everytime someone disagrees with you, people are going to mess with you on purpose because they know you will freak out. Especially if you get confrontational with people, the staff here won't keep you around too long. Instead of getting nasty with people, try to learn something from them. There is more knowledge of the White Sox and baseball in general in one thread here, more than most fans have in their lifetimes. With the style of posting you have adapted early in your posting history here, you are missing out and hurting no one but yourself.

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 09:45 PM)
Derek Jeter's career fielding percentage (based on errors) is .975, while Ozzie Smith's is .978.  Is Jeter anywhere near as good as Smith was at defense?  No, they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence when talking about defense unless you are talking about a good defensive player and a bad one.

And Jerry Owens is a LEFTFIELDER.  Not a centerfielder.  He is pathetic in CF from all reports I've read and heard.

Kenny Williams referred to Owens as a CF at Soxfest. I heard it with my own 2 ears. It may be that the Sox have determined that Pods is definitely not a CF, therefore Owens may have a crack at the CF job if Anderson where to get hurt or something. KW did mention his bad arm, but claimed it was because of some old injury and that they would be stretching it out this spring. It would be nice to have a CF who could throw, but I would be more concerned with getting one who can run down balls. I have never seen Owens play and have no idea about his jumps, but if its is arm that is keeping him in LF, that shouldn't be that much of a problem. The Sox had a pretty good team when the One Dog was throwing flyballs back to the infield in the early 90s.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
Kenny Williams referred to Owens as a CF at Soxfest. I heard it with my own 2 ears. It may be that the Sox have determined that Pods is definitely not a CF, therefore Owens may have a crack at the CF job if Anderson where to get hurt or something. KW did mention his bad arm, but claimed it was because of some old injury and that they would be stretching it out this spring. It would be nice to have a CF who could throw, but I would be more concerned with getting one who can run down balls. I have never seen Owens play and have no idea about his jumps, but if its is arm that is keeping him in LF, that shouldn't be that much of a problem. The Sox had a pretty good team when the One Dog was throwing flyballs back to the infield in the early 90s.

Thats because it was extremely rare for One Dog to let a ball drop in front of him. :P

QUOTE(MarkBuehrle_TheAce @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 10:18 PM)

KW drafted Anderson, he loves Anderson, he traded Jeremy Reed, Chris Young and Aaron Rowand because of his faith in Anderson. Owens has ONe year of experience, and he is not a CF'er. He will replace PODS when his contract is up.

Whats your next thread going to be? IM excited

QUOTE(MarkBuehrle_TheAce @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
am I the only sox fan in this forum who happens to beleive that jerry owens should be our starter in center? with him batting second, if he can hit .285 OR higher, and steal 20 bases, then our lineup would be that much more dangerous. case in point, owens would create a lot more opportunities for konerko/thome/dye to get rbi's, and we would sequatially score more runs

kind of the useless threads strikes again. mark buehrle IS an ace!

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 10:14 AM)
KW drafted Anderson, he loves Anderson, he traded Jeremy Reed, Chris Young and Aaron Rowand because of his faith in Anderson.  Owens has ONe year of experience, and he is not a CF'er.  He will replace PODS when his contract is up. 

Whats your next thread going to be?  IM excited

Im taking bets**, the thread topics you can bet on are as follows:

Is Iguchi good enough? Give Chris Getz a shot!

Does anyone think that Jenks is good? SHould we trade him?

Jermaine Dye to be traded? Can Sweeney win the job?

Juan Uribe, is he really good?

Final bets are taken the day before Spring Training starts

**All bets are confidential

Edited by kyyle23

IIRC, I think it was Dave Wilder who was quoted last year that both Jenks and Jerry Owens were ready to play in the majors last summer. That's not to say Owens could play CF better than Anderson. But the sox will want whoever is in CF to be able to catch the ball. Right now Anderson is the better CFer by all accounts and his main focus will be on playing the best defense possible. But an injury could slow Anderson or Pods and Owens could be pressed into duty. To say Owens should start over Anderson is a huge leap. But the trade of Chris Young tells me Owens isn't as bad as people are making him out to be.

Looking at the depth chart, Owens would seem to be the first choice if an injury happened in LF or CF. Unless Mackowiak could play well enough D in CF to be a regular.