Borch considers Football Career

DBAHO

Interesting to say the least (also I see Joe Cowley has left the Southtown for the Sun-Times now);

Joe Borchard has spent the last three years waiting patiently for a vacancy in the White Sox' outfield.

Now that the Sox finally have one, however, the once highly touted prospect is not only seeking a change of venue, but also contemplating a career change.

Borchard said he has talked to both general manager Ken Williams and assistant GM Rick Hahn several times this offseason about being traded. With those requests not being met as spring training camps open this week, Borchard now is entertaining the idea of pursuing a football career he walked away from when the Sox drafted the two-sport athlete from Stanford in 2000.

''This was the first offseason where I did start thinking about things differently,'' Borchard said. ''I talked to an old offensive coordinator friend of mine from college who is now in the CFL [Canadian Football League] and asked him if I had a chance to play in that league still. He told me, 'You've got a spot waiting for you.' So, yeah, you start thinking about it.''

While the Sox are no strangers to hearing a minor-league player vent about his future, Borchard is not your typical minor-leaguer. When the Sox drafted the outfielder 12th overall in 2000, they knew they would have to sway him from the lure of the NFL.

The cost for keeping the quarterback off the football field was a signing bonus of $5.3 million -- still the largest draft bonus in major-league history.

''That bonus was to prevent me from playing football,'' an unapologetic Borchard said. ''That was the investment they decided on.''

The Sox did so with good reason. Coming out of college, the switch hitter was said to have ''Mark McGwire power'' by scouts. While Borchard has had brief call-ups in each of the last four seasons, his longest stint was 63 games in 2004, when he hit .174 with nine home runs.

''I would hope that the organization knows that I hit the ball better than the average indicates,'' Borchard said. ''To look at that season and label me with that is not fair.''

Which the Sox might have done. Since center fielder Aaron Rowand was traded to Philadelphia for Jim Thome in November, all the hype has surrounded rookies Brian Anderson and Jerry Owens for that spot.

''The things I hear aren't incredibly encouraging to me,'' Borchard said. ''The last few years, I've said, 'Well, if I have a good spring training, just maybe.' But even when I've had a good spring training, come the end of camp, there I am being shipped back down to Charlotte.

''The poor start I had [last season], to end up hitting about .270 with 29 home runs is nothing to scoff at. If there were a ton of players in the International League hitting 30 home runs, that would be one thing, but it's almost like, 'What do I have to do?' It's almost like, in their eyes, I didn't even do anything.''

Williams said he has spoken to Borchard on several occasions this offseason.

''In surveying the landscape, which was one of the things I promised Joe I would do, I did look around to find something better for him,'' Williams said. ''He understood that I wouldn't just be giving him away, though. In looking around, there wasn't a better opportunity for him to play in the big leagues than the one he has here with us.''

Borchard hopes that's true.

''I honestly thought they were going to trade me,'' Borchard said. ''Either no one out there wants me, which I don't think is the case, or they do have some sort of plans for me.

"Not that I'm going to sit here and claim to be a victim, but it's like if I do poorly this spring, I'm going to really be disappointed. If I do well, though, and don't get the run for it because they don't want to trade me and possibly look foolish in a few years -- put it this way, I'm definitely not in the driver's seat in this thing.''

Because he is out of options, the Sox would have to get him through waivers if he doesn't make the 25-man roster. Either way, Borchard feels the window on his baseball career is closing.

''I'm so far under the radar right now, and I don't know why,'' he said. ''I appreciate everything the Sox have done for me, but I'm 27 now. If I can get my feet entrenched on a major-league roster -- any roster -- go through the growing pains that almost everyone goes through, I can still have a good career in this league. I can still salvage something.''

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of Future Sox and being around here, I actually now care about the guys in the organization and what happens to them (damn you Gage). :D A few seasons ago, I'd have maybe read that, probably not, and went, big deal, whiny minor league guy. Now I've been hoping he'd make a 25 man somewhere, even if it was outside the organization. If he doesn't make the roster, I'm guessing someone will make an offer that Kenny will accept, even if it's shuffling prospects.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 06:41 AM)
Because of Future Sox and being around here, I actually now care about the guys in the organization and what happens to them (damn you Gage).  :D A few seasons ago, I'd have maybe read that, probably not, and went, big deal, whiny minor league guy. Now I've been hoping he'd make a 25 man somewhere, even if it was outside the organization. If he doesn't make the roster, I'm guessing someone will make an offer that Kenny will accept, even if it's shuffling prospects.

^^^^^

Plus , out of all the players I met at games, the fest, ect . He is by far one of the coolest guys in the organization.

Borchard whines throughout the entire article. I hope Williams finds a nice trade scenario and sends him to baseball purgatory in Tampa Bay. Where even there he'd be a bench-player.

How can he seriously blame anyone besides himself for limited opportunities in the big-leagues?

I'm not going to kiss his ass because he's a 'good guy' or past contributer to Future Sox. Bust prospects shouldn't have any face-time in newspaper columns.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Hopefully Joe will have a good spring, make the team, and be a solid contributor. Odds are against him, but he has a lot of ability and work ethic is not a problem. I may be crazy, but I seriously believe if Borchard had a solid week or two results-wise in MLB, it would propel him to be a pretty good player.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 07:35 AM)
Borchard whines throughout the entire article. I hope Williams finds a nice trade scenario and sends him to baseball purgatory in Tampa Bay. Where even there he'd be a bench-player.

How can he seriously blame anyone besides himself for limited opportunities in the big-leagues?

I'm not going to kiss his ass because he's a 'good guy' or past contributer to Future Sox. Bust prospects shouldn't have any face-time in newspaper columns.

I was gonna say something similiar to this before I read your post.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 08:35 AM)

Exactly.

If Borch hasn't been able to get it done consistently by now, what can we expect now that he is considering playing another sport?

This is what I don't get. Does Borchard think that he deserves to be a starter or does he just want a shot at a bench spot? He has a good chance at being our last outfielder but he seems to think he's better than that according to this article. This article makes me think that either Jerry Owens or Ben Grieve will end up being our last outfielder. Borchard wants a shot with another team but he is also contemplating a return to football. Reminds me of Drew Henson.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 10:16 AM)
This is what I don't get.  Does Borchard think that he deserves to be a starter or does he just want a shot at a bench spot?  He has a good chance at being our last outfielder but he seems to think he's better than that according to this article.  This article makes me think that either Jerry Owens or Ben Grieve will end up being our last outfielder.  Borchard wants a shot with another team but he is also contemplating a return to football.  Reminds me of Drew Henson.

His head is scrambled now.

Grab your shoulder pads Borch.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
This is what I don't get.  Does Borchard think that he deserves to be a starter or does he just want a shot at a bench spot?  He has a good chance at being our last outfielder but he seems to think he's better than that according to this article.  This article makes me think that either Jerry Owens or Ben Grieve will end up being our last outfielder.  Borchard wants a shot with another team but he is also contemplating a return to football.  Reminds me of Drew Henson.

I was thinking Drew Henson when I heard this. Oh, by the way, that hasn't worked out so well.

It sounded like he wanted to be in the running for Rowands spot in CF. Yeah, sorry Joe, but we don't need a 27-year old rookie whose best season was .174 and 9 hrs.

You may be a nice guy, but only being nice don't get you the bling.

If you want to play baseball next year, I wish you well.

If you want to play football (if that's what you can call it in the CFL :P ), I wish you well.

If you can be one thing in this world, it's happy.

his quote in the article about his homerun total shows why he hasnt had the stuff to make a big league roster.  Its not all about your hr's Joe.

This hurt me to see Borchard talk about football today...I'm hoping the Sox give him every chance to win the CF job this spring. He's a guy that tried to convert from a different sport and has had some good moments. If the Sox don't keep him, I'm hoping he gets a shot with another team. There is no doubt in my mind that this guy is going to figure it out and become a big-time hitter. I love his approach to the game.

I have the feeling that Borchard feels that he's better than Anderson and was miffed that Anderson got last year's call-up after he (Borchard) had a hot second half.